Anybody run 2.7's on their 5 Spot?- Mtbr.com
    Bikes are good

Anybody run 2.7's on their 5 Spot?

I'm taking the Spot to Europe in a week to ride the Alta Rezia trip and have 2.7's. They are downhill tires, and have clearance in the frame and fork. I have a Vanilla 5 inch fork in the front, and wonder if that tire would be alright up there. So far, I haven't encountered a problem. Anything I should be aware of? I usually ride 2.4's. I thought the bigger tire would be good for the trip. Thanks.

striker!
    Here is a shot of my Spot with 2.5's when I have it dressed up for the chair lift:

Still lots of room there ... Mud clearance could be an issue.

S

trail fairy
    Im with SS 2.5s maybe 2ply should be ample on the Spot if ya can fit a 2.7 up front ok depending on tyre brand then sweet, a Maxxis should fit OK, Kenda no I would think!
    2plys ya should be able to run little softer! hope ya got some big rotors
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bikes are good

Specialized 2.7's

Bought them as a sort of snow tire that worked okay. I have clearance. My big question was if I bottom out my front shock with that big of a tire am I going to slam the crown of the fork into the tire?

I have a 6 inch rotor in the front, 4 in the back. Bigger yet??

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    Bought them as a sort of snow tire that worked okay. I have clearance. My big question was if I bottom out my front shock with that big of a tire am I going to slam the crown of the fork into the tire?

Um I don't know not a big Specilaised tire user, thye are normally quite high volume aren't they?

I'd test it before going if I was you, are you running Hope mini's they seem like small rotors for Europe and big tires, 6 rear min 7-8 up front if ya got the ops or 7n7 extra pads too
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50

They make a highly advanced tool for measuring fork travel and fork tire clearange - A TAPE MEASURE! It's a linear device man, just measure from the highest point on the tire to the crown and give yourself a little room for error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    what are the 2.4 tyres? they would be more than enough for riding in the alps, and depending on how big you are and where abouts you are riding (big long descents?) the smaller rotors might get a bit hot. Saying that i have happily run a 160mm rotor and shimano Xt on the back in the alps for years with no issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0