mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Any larger riders ride a Sultan?

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a blue, large Sultan. I am 6'3, 220 lbs. The only thing I am concerned is the flex in the rear(?) I live in Colorado (Front Range) and this bike will be my everyday ride (my other bike is an Intense Uzzi). When not riding or shuttling, I primarily like to ride Buff Creek, Golden Gate, West Mag, Sourdough, and Indian Creek.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

meow?
    I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, pull the trigger. I haven't noticed any flex in the rear end of mine, but get good strong wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantCake
    I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, pull the trigger. I haven't noticed any flex in the rear end of mine, but get good strong wheels.
    What do you suggest? Thinking Delgado Discs 32h (36 would be too sluggish) laced with 14/15 DT straightlaced to King hubs.

Tits McGee!

meow?
    I think those should be plenty strong, I just wouldn't try to shave some weight of the wheels.

jrm
    mtbr member

Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    What do you suggest? Thinking Delgado Discs 32h (36 would be too sluggish) laced with 14/15 DT straightlaced to King hubs.

Tits McGee!

look into some I9's. The direct pull spokes make the wheel super stiff. I also think the hubs can be converted between QR and 20 TA..

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4"ish, 225 #s w/o gear, and I've got 3 rides on my XL Sultan

The bike goes where I point it, and rails corners without a hint of flex.

Wheels:
    bolt on rear hub,
    20mm front hub
    36 spokes front and rear
    Wide rims

It's a solid bike - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Captain Underpants
    I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a blue, large Sultan. I am 6'3, 220 lbs. The only thing I am concerned is the flex in the rear(?)
    Perhaps you missed my bestseller Sultans and the Larger Riders That Ride Them.

I'm 6'3" 250# and ride an XL, and have had no issues with rear triangle flex whatosever. If you toss on a set of burly wheels and a DT Swiss RWS, you will be golden. There is just no flex worth mentioning in this frame.

This place needs an enema

Tits McGee!
    At 220# and riding FS, the DD's (even in 36h) aren't gonna cut it for you.

Stans Flow would be an infinitely better choice (works fine with tubes, too) in 32 or 36. You won't notice the weight of 4 extra spokes and nips, but you WILL notice the increased stiffness and durability of the wheelset on (and after--in the shop) every ride..

I heartily second the recommendation to use the DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt skewers. Light, stiff, durable, and functional. No good reason not to.

MC

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantCake
    I'm...250lbs, pull the trigger. I haven't noticed any flex in the rear end of mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by supersinge
    I'm 225 #s w/o gear, and...The bike goes where I point it, and rails corners without a hint of flex. It's a solid bike - I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Perhaps you missed my bestseller Sultans and the Larger Riders That Ride Them. I'm 250#...and have had no issues with rear triangle flex whatosever. There is just no flex worth mentioning in this frame.
    *with fingers in ears*

"La, la, la...I'm not listening..."

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    At 220# and riding FS, the DD's (even in 36h) aren't gonna cut it for you.

Stans Flow would be an infinitely better choice (works fine with tubes, too) in 32 or 36. You won't notice the weight of 4 extra spokes and nips, but you WILL notice the increased stiffness and durability of the wheelset on (and after--in the shop) every ride..

I heartily second the recommendation to use the DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt skewers. Light, stiff, durable, and functional. No good reason not to.

MC
    You beat me to it MC.

I second Flow rims over Delgados.

I have a set of each laced with I-9 spokes & hubs and the Flows are significantly stiffer & less prone to dents. And I weigh 165 so I can only imagine what the difference would be for a bigger guy.

err, 27.5+
    I am sitting about 240 these days ready to ride with full camelback. On the trail the Sultan is flawless. I do notice the front triangle flex if I really crank the bars side to side in the parking lot, but that doesn't seem to effect performance. Only flex that annoys me is that when I set my caliper in the work stand it rubs once the bike is weighted. So I basically have to compensate for that flex. Once set it is a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    You beat me to it MC.

I second Flow rims over Delgados.

I have a set of each laced with I-9 spokes & hubs and the Flows are significantly stiffer & less prone to dents. And I weigh 165 so I can only imagine what the difference would be for a bigger guy.
    Yep, I concur also, the DD are not the best rim choice. Flow or DT 7.1 would be far better.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0