Another Highline question.- Mtbr.com
    locked - time out

Another Highline question.

Aside from FR and Aggressive AM is anyone actually DH racing or lift access only riding a HL?

Not sure but maybe this question belongs in the FR/DH forum.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Not sure but maybe this question belongs in the FR/DH forum.
    Not if you want a meaningful answer with proper spelling.

The bb height kills that bike for me......at least with the stock shock. 1soulrider has/had one. He ran his with an 8.5 x 2.5 shock on it, which if I were racing, is what I would do.

paging airwreck........
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The bb height kills that bike for me......at least with the stock shock. 1soulrider has/had one. He ran his with an 8.5 x 2.5 shock on it, which if I were racing, is what I would do.paging airwreck........
    That'd be my new ride- just measured the BB at just a hair below 14.5" with the 8.5x2.5" Roco, 170mm '06 66rc2x and Michelin 2.5 DH tires. Should yield 7.25" travel with 2.9:1 average ratio.

The BB feels a lot lower than the numbers might suggest (at least to me, coming off my old RFX which had a 14.75" BB and 3/4" less travel). Very confidence-inspiring on drops, jumps and steeps. Right away I felt the low CG, feels so good on steeps. SInce our weather sucks, and just cause I want to get to know the bike better, I have been hauling it on flat slow techy XC rides. Here the low BB is kinda funky, it gets caught up on fallen trees and I've smacked my toes a few times. Again, this is just me being used to a bike that sits higher regardless of the un-sagged numbers- plus it's not really highline territory. I love the low BB and don't have much interest in running the longer shock personally- I just don't need that much travel. Low is where it's at!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hisforever
    Dude, Moment, the highline is sicktor. I've had one for 6 months, and like it a bunch. If going down only is your desire. get the dhr. everything else,? the highline will create tons of fun for you on the trails.

You can DH it, but run coil setups.

You can FR it, just go Big.

You can Aggressively AM ride it, just dont let your friends get to you when they complain that they cant keep up.

Yes, the Turner Highline, Kicks a$$.

Theres a reason why so many thought it was the most enjoyable, best bike to test ride at the interbike dirt demo this year.

Get one and be stoked.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

Team Sanchez
    So what Cranks and BB' are you guys using? Will the X-type XTs work on the 83mm BB, or is there not enough overlap on the splines? I have an old Truvative Holzfeller Crankset that I can use with an FSA Platinum DH BB in the 83 X 128 size. That is what I'm thinking now. My highline is going to be the most ghetto ride of all times. Avid Mech brakes, Weyless stem and handlebar. It will be the anti bling.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    So what Cranks and BB' are you guys using? Will the X-type XTs work on the 83mm BB, or is there not enough overlap on the splines? I have an old Truvative Holzfeller Crankset that I can use with an FSA Platinum DH BB in the 83 X 128 size. That is what I'm thinking now. My highline is going to be the most ghetto ride of all times. Avid Mech brakes, Weyless stem and handlebar. It will be the anti bling.
    El C, I'm 99% sure the XT's will not work with that BB size.

As far as I know, you're currently limited to Saints and Diabolus in that size. I think some new FSA's (Gravity) are coming in 83 x 128, but not sure if those are out yet. I believe FM found a good deal on his Race Face cranks on Beyond bikes. On that note, you guys should see how bad that dude is jonesin' to ride his HL on something gnarly......too bad it's been raining non-stop in Seattle for a week+. Instead, we forced him to lug it up for a trailwork / XC ride yesterday.

The alternative is doing what you suggested by running a FSA Platinum with some ISIS cranks. That's the exact setup I'm running for my 83 x 128 setup with Holzfeller cranks. Certainly not as blingy, but it's working so far for me. I have had to change out my BB once already in the 9 months I've had it, but that's not horrible considering a couple of pouring rain Shore days we had in the spring. I may consider an outboard bearing setup this winter if I can find a good deal.

EBX

Team Sanchez
    Thanks for that info EBX. Tell ol FM to come down to So. Utah for the winter. The weather is always nice. So I'm still trying to figure out which fork I want to run on the Highline. I for sure will be opting for the 8.75 i to i shock option, as to widen the utility gap between the HL and the RFX. I'm seriously considering the 888SL ATA for the HL, but have not ruled out the 66 SL ATA for it either.

locked - time out
    So which shock gives it 7" of travel and which gives it 8"?

Team Sanchez
    8.75 i to i gives it the 8 inches of travel, and the 8.5 i to i gives it just over 7.

locked - time out
    8.75 i to i gives it the 8 inches of travel, and the 8.5 i to i gives it just over 7.
    thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for that info EBX. Tell ol FM to come down to So. Utah for the winter. The weather is always nice. So I'm still trying to figure out which fork I want to run on the Highline. I for sure will be opting for the 8.75 i to i shock option, as to widen the utility gap between the HL and the RFX. I'm seriously considering the 888SL ATA for the HL, but have not ruled out the 66 SL ATA for it either.
    Dude, what's the fascination with air forks? Can't handle an extra .4355566644 pounds?

Get coil and get real.

Hisforever

Diabolous,FSA,Saint,XT

Rumor has it, for 07' Shimano will make room for an 83mm xt BB crankset.

EB nailed it as always.

FSA's are out, the highlines at IB were specced FSA...The 'gravity' line looks good

Heres a funky crank issue. I found a good deal on the diabolous crankset that I wanted, bling, & mean. i have been running them on all the 83mmBB bikes i have had this past year, the highline and the GM. On the highline the system never worked well, they would come loose after a good day of riding. This was 100% guaranteed to happen. Just the other day I decided to get it dialed perfectly. Come to find out the guy who sold it to me 'said it was an 83mm spindle/BB c-set. After I took it off the bike, I compared it to a brand new 68/73mm diabolous set, and guess what? they were exactly the same. Am i looking at this wrong, or have I been running the wrong size all this time? I think the latter, so off it came. It worked but not very well,

Right now, the 83mm platinum dh BB is rocking with some truvativ hozfeller arms. This should work much better..
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

locked - time out
    So when is the '07 HL gonna be available?

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Dude, what's the fascination with air forks? Can't handle an extra .4355566644 pounds?

Get coil and get real.
    Oh Dusty, don't knock the new Zoke air forks. I prefer my 07 66 SL to my old 66 Light. You should really take one out for a spin before spouting off at the mouth. Even Shaheeb, the king of big air is rocking an air Totem on his HL.

As for the 07's, I think they'll be out shortly after the new year. As for the batch of XL Highlines, DT told me that they would be out a couple months after that.

Hisforever

Chingdon, looks like RS is going to have a new arrival of stuckdown mofo from this isle.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB

Chingdon, looks like RS is going to have a new arrival of stuckdown mofo from this isle.

LOL! I knew it was only a matter of time.

~~~~~~~~
    Oh Dusty, don't knock the new Zoke air forks.

Here's the product description for the entire line of 66 forks from the reviews section of MTBR.

Description:
    • - 66 series classified as an extreme single crown FR fork, suitable for large/ safe drops, jumps & gaps. Donít case, overjump or pile drive this product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh Dusty, don't knock the new Zoke air forks. I prefer my 07 66 SL to my old 66 Light. You should really take one out for a spin before spouting off at the mouth. Even Shaheeb, the king of big air is rocking an air Totem on his HL.

As for the 07's, I think they'll be out shortly after the new year. As for the batch of XL Highlines, DT told me that they would be out a couple months after that.
    Cool, you can put an rp23 on your highline and rock some carbon bars!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Here's the product description for the entire line of 66 forks from the reviews section of MTBR.

Description:
    • - 66 series classified as an extreme single crown FR fork, suitable for large/ safe drops, jumps & gaps. Don’t case, overjump or pile drive this product.

Bitter, party of one.....sir, your table is waiting by the corner window with a nice view....

Just giving ya grief, Airwreck. Did you get that figured out yet??

Personally, I don't understand the air fork phenomenon for a bike this big (easy on the manipoo comments, FM!). El C, since you plan to keep the RFX.....why not just make your Highline a coil/oil beast and be done with it? I know the 888 SL ATA is sexy and all, but you may as well limit the overlap between the two bikes since the RFX is awfully capable with a 66 SL on the front. I suppose, ultimately, it really depends on what you'll be using it for.

I like having rigs that are different enough that there's never a doubt which bike I should take on a particular ride.

EBX

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB

But at least RS acknowledges the problem and is providing a new fork.
    Can't say that about Marzocchi.

~~~~~~~~
    8.75 rear shock with 180mm travel fork is going to give you 5 Spot/RFXish head tube angle.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Aside from FR and Aggressive AM is anyone actually DH racing or lift access only riding a HL?
    sorry I got distracted when someone mentioned air free ride forks .

I did a few days at the Whistler bike park with the HL setup at 7x7 and wasn't having any trouble keeping up with the guys I was chasing on their DH rigs.

Not the best tool for the job of DH racing, but not that far off. Single crowns and shorter travel definatly made an appearance on the world cup DH circuit this year.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Did you get that figured out yet??
    yes.
    eventually any air adjustable travel function will fail if used for free riding.
    when it fails the forks travel will be reduced.
    reduced travel limits the ability to free ride.
    no fork for a couple weeks limits the ability to ride period.
    if this type of fork failure hasn't happened to someone freeriding these types of fork yet, that's cool and I'm glad for them, but wouldn't you rather be thinking about something besides your fork failing?

Confidence in my equipment = confidence in my riding.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Personally, I don't understand the air fork phenomenon for a bike this big
    EBX
    Me neither- I guess it's travel adjustability. But- having done 3 whistler days on a 200mm 888 back to back with a few days on my 170mm 66rc2x... The 66 rocked. The big difference was effect on angles (which you can replicate by running a 66 on a highline with the 7.5" rear shock). The only times I really used the extra 20mm of travel, was when I was riding like crap and not paying attention.

My point is, I would go for 170mm of coil sprung over 203mm of air every time. Especially since it's 180 vs. 203mm this year. The weight you save by going air, you lose by going dual crown... not to mention turning radius and reliability (currently unknown).

Team Sanchez
    But at least RS acknowledges the problem and is providing a new fork.
    Can't say that about Marzocchi.
    Of course you can't, because out of the hundreds of guys rockin the 66 SL this year, you are the only who has made mention of any problem. That's a pretty low failure rate if you ask me. It's just too bad that the failure happened to someone who is such a drama queen....

Hisforever

Air

I tried to do the air thing. I just wanted so bad for it too work. Beyond rationallity, i thought it might just work so I tried it, First it was recommended, 2ndly i thought the Totom would just kill it. probly because it was so big it thought it would ride magically, it's nice but not magic, I still can't do donkey kongs or one finger airs.

Experimenting with a dhx air and a totem 2step has shown me, that my favorite kind of riding feels the best with a coil under the front and rear.

man you guys in the pnw have me jealous. the riding up there is just mental! we have a new place to ride though. its pretty sick!
    Last edited by SHAHEEB; 11-07-2006 at 02:06 PM.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

~~~~~~~~
    Of course you can't, because out of the hundreds of guys rockin the 66 SL this year, you are the only who has made mention of any problem. That's a pretty low failure rate if you ask me. It's just too bad that the failure happened to someone who is such a drama queen....

classic comments from someone who constantly feels the need to post pics of themselves in their underwear.

the guy asks a question which you cannot answer so you have to start talking about how great the air shock is going to be on the 68 degree head tube angle highline you've never ridden.

thanks for the wake up call, I'll quit wasting my time here.

Team Sanchez
    classic comments from someone who constantly feels the need to post pics of themselves in their underwear.

If your feelings for me are bordering on the inappropriate, I can start posting pics of ladies in their bikinis to restore your hetero-hood.

Outcast
    ..... I can start posting pics of ladies in their bikinis....
    You should do that El C, in hopes of lightening the mood around here regarding this topic lately. It's old news; it's time to move on.

Members who have read this thread: 0