Another freshly done RFX- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272

    Another freshly done RFX

    Here is the new ride. It's a 2001 16.5 RFX frame with various parts donated from the old bike and some new ones. I am just about ready to decide on a proper fork for it as right now it's not totally balanced. The fork that is on there is a 99' Z1 and the a-to-c is very short for the 6in RFX plate setup on this frame. I have been hanging out on the turner board for a while and getting lots of good info so I wouldn't make too many mistakes on the build so thanks to everyone for your help.

    I've only gone for a few short urban rides so far because I strained my back doing trailwork a couple of weeks ago, but it's hiting the dirt for the first time later today. So far it's felt really nice. What's funny is that when I bought the frame I thought I would have it re-powdercoated a different color because I'm not normally a big fan of yellow but it has really grown on me and I'm gonna keep it yellow for a while.

    Didn't want to kill anyone with dialup with a ton of pictures but I got a lot more if anyone wants me to post em.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shanedawg; 05-27-2004 at 04:57 PM. Reason: na

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,022
    What is the A2C on that Zoke? I think the Maverick page was showing a 130mm Sherman to be 512mm, and a Z1 at 518. I have a Sherman I was hoping to use if I end up building my RFX, and was thinking that 6mm doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal, but perhaps an A2C of 518 is already pushing it with the 6" rockers. Using the 1"=1 degree rule of thumb, a 512mm A2C would put the head angle just under 69.5 degrees.

    I'm sure a shorter fork would feel squirrley compared to a dual crown or Z150 on a RFX, but was hoping to get your initial impression of the bike with a shorter fork without having that reference point.

  3. #3
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,444
    Sweet man, congrats! They are wonderful bikes. What kind of riding will you do mostly?

    I do mostly XC on mine, but I head up to whistler about every 3rd weekend... My favorite rides are epic XC with free-ride descents, like most XC trails there. (kill me thrill me, comfortabley numb, etc.) big climbs with some steeps & hucking on the way down.The RFX has been stellar for that type of riding, never felt like the weight mattered even after hours of climbing.

    You probably already know this, but I tried a 2003 Z1 on my RFX and still felt that it was a bit steep in front for technical descents imho. Possibly due to the short head tube as well as the steering angle. Others seem to like it fine. Z150 feels perfect geometry wise and is very plush too. Curious to check out a Nixon when they come out, for weight savings, but I'd have a hard time not buying marzocchi or coil sprung.

    Mainly though, I'm constantly stunned with the RFX/Z150 combo, no plans to change or upgrade anything. Enjoy!

    O yeah, 1 hot tip:
    Find some short, stainless steel M5&M6 panhead, phillips screws at your local hardware store. Screwing these into the frames chain-guide mounts will prevent your chain from falling into the space between your granny gear and ISCG mounts, if you drop your chain or chainsuck. Allenheads are too big, but phillips pan-heads are perfect. $3 upgrade.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    929
    Very $exy. Looks terrific.

  5. #5
    Roy
    Roy is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,040
    Very sharp. The first upgrade you do on that bike will make the single biggest impact: get the Vanilla "Push'ed" by Darren. The RFX will pedal so much more efficiently, and as gravy it will be tuned specifically for you.

  6. #6
    roots, rocks, rhythm
    Reputation: Dawgprimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    693
    Looks really nice.
    I even like the color........
    To bad they don't make RFX's anymore.

    Good luck!!!!

  7. #7
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    What is the A2C on that Zoke? I think the Maverick page was showing a 130mm Sherman to be 512mm, and a Z1 at 518. I have a Sherman I was hoping to use if I end up building my RFX, and was thinking that 6mm doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal, but perhaps an A2C of 518 is already pushing it with the 6" rockers. Using the 1"=1 degree rule of thumb, a 512mm A2C would put the head angle just under 69.5 degrees.

    I'm sure a shorter fork would feel squirrley compared to a dual crown or Z150 on a RFX, but was hoping to get your initial impression of the bike with a shorter fork without having that reference point.
    I measured the a-to-c and it came out to around 500mm. I measured a Z150 and it came out 540mm. I think the turner recommended fork length was in between 530 and 548 so I think the z150 would be the logical step and with the feedback they have gotten from the guys here I'm really leaning that way.

  8. #8
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,128
    That yellow absolutely kicks arse! I particularly like the headshot. Feel free to post more pics.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  9. #9
    t66
    t66 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: t66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    619

    Sweeeeet

    Beautiful color!

    Sure would be nice with a 7" 888, but you could compromise with z150 for an all around kick A$$ ride!

    I know you'll enjoy it!

  10. #10
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Sweet man, congrats! They are wonderful bikes. What kind of riding will you do mostly?
    Freeriding with some big climbs to the top plus Northstar a couple times a year and also a week or so in Whistler every year. I also have a HH100x for the xc rides so the RFX will be for the gnarly stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I do mostly XC on mine, but I head up to whistler about every 3rd weekend... My favorite rides are epic XC with free-ride descents, like most XC trails there. (kill me thrill me, comfortabley numb, etc.) big climbs with some steeps & hucking on the way down.The RFX has been stellar for that type of riding, never felt like the weight mattered even after hours of climbing.
    Those trails up there are made for us. You need the long post for those hard, steep climbs and then the burly travel for the way down. The trails I rode up there last year were what set me on course for the RFX

    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    You probably already know this, but I tried a 2003 Z1 on my RFX and still felt that it was a bit steep in front for technical descents imho. Possibly due to the short head tube as well as the steering angle. Others seem to like it fine. Z150 feels perfect geometry wise and is very plush too. Curious to check out a Nixon when they come out, for weight savings, but I'd have a hard time not buying marzocchi or coil sprung.

    Mainly though, I'm constantly stunned with the RFX/Z150 combo, no plans to change or upgrade anything. Enjoy!

    O yeah, 1 hot tip:
    Find some short, stainless steel M5&M6 panhead, phillips screws at your local hardware store. Screwing these into the frames chain-guide mounts will prevent your chain from falling into the space between your granny gear and ISCG mounts, if you drop your chain or chainsuck. Allenheads are too big, but phillips pan-heads are perfect. $3 upgrade.
    I'm bummed because on the 2001 they didn't have the ISCG mounts yet. It does have a hole for an e-type ft derailluer so I'm trying to figure out something similar. Do you have any pics of the setup on your bike? Even though mine does not have the ISCG I'm still SO happy I found one in such good shape. I went for a ride a little while ago and it was awesome. It handled so solid and smooth. Very confidence inspiring even with the short fork. I can;t wait to get the new one on there and feel how it is designed to handle. I remember you posted some pics of you in pemberton a while back. You have a black one right. I remember drooling over that pic with the cat in it before I got my frame. Very nice looking.

  11. #11
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Some more pics. Here's what it looked like when it came in. I have some more good shots on the work computer I'll post tommorow. Later
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,128

    Welcome to the DOG POUND!

    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Some more pics. Here's what it looked like when it came in. I have some more good shots on the work computer I'll post tommorow. Later
    Gaaaah!!!! every time I see an RFX I want one...I need help. Great pix!


    Has this fourm gone to the Dogs or what?
    ShaneDog
    Crash'Dog
    Bulldog
    DawgPrimo
    E-Dawg
    Bdog

    I'm thinking about changing my nick' ....

    Howz DogZilla strike ya?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    .....I'm bummed because on the 2001 they didn't have the ISCG mounts yet. ....
    ....to be honest, ISCG tabs are a little over-rated. Personally I prefer the BB-flange mounted converter included with Evil/ E13 guides. If your guide takes a substantial hit (likely event during riding that requires a guide), it will likely bend/ brake the tabs. then you are looking at repair/ replacement costs as well a lay off the bike. I have used the converter even when I installed a guide on a bike with ISCG tabs.....my $0.02


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Has this fourm gone to the Dogs or what?
    ShaneDog
    Crash'Dog
    Bulldog
    DawgPrimo
    E-Dawg
    Bdog

    I'm thinking about changing my nick' ....

    Howz DogZilla strike ya?
    Yeah - join the pack! ;-)

  15. #15
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Here's the last of the ones I really like. The BB area is awesome some I took a bunch of pics of it. Gotta plug the avids. I went with the 185mm rotors because the last set of 203's I set up are downright scary powerful. Also, even though I'm not the biggest fan of Shi+mano's marketing tactics I do like that they went dual pull and many clamp size on the new ft derailluer for 04'. They also went back to five arm spider on the XT cassette so you don't have to worry as much about bending the largest cog. Both of these changes actually added weight so I am suprised they would do it. I am slowly making the transition over to Sram and Race Face stuff as my shi+mano stuff wears out or gets too beat up to be reliable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    929
    Too clean... go get her dirty.

  17. #17
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,444
    Cool thanks!
    When you make it up to whistler this year, make sure to check out "fourplay" if you haven't ridden it yet. It's also the descent portion of "comfortably numb". Serious fun!

    I wouldn't sweat the ISCG mounts either; it seems like a standard that might not stick.

    my favorite video: (r-click and "save as"- I'm the second guy. It's on Amasa back in Moab)
    http://www.bikesandmusic.com/AmasaDrop.MOV

    And, my favorite pics:



    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    (chopped).....Those trails up there are made for us. You need the long post for those hard, steep climbs and then the burly travel for the way down. The trails I rode up there last year were what set me on course for the RFX



    I'm bummed because on the 2001 they didn't have the ISCG mounts yet.....Do you have any pics of the setup on your bike? I remember you posted some pics of you in pemberton a while back. You have a black one right.... .
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Nice Drop FM. I looked at that one for a quick second while I was in Moab in april. I was riding my hammerhead and just didn't feel up to it at the time. But you guys made it look easy! Have to do it next time. I went on a local trail called "Rocky Ridge" last night and it was a blast. What Rocks? HA. I'm loving that bike! I can't wait to get out and ride some more, yahoo!

  19. #19
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,444
    That one had a nice sandy tranny that made for a smooth landing. The approach was a little funky though. Props to Ben (who works at Moab Brewery- not Eddie McStiff's) for the lead-in. He was super cool- we met him while climbing and ended up getting the locals tour... super nice guy.

    Recently I did a drop about the same size, in Sedona, but it had a flat slick-rock landing. Landed it cleanly but the impact was enough to screw up my foot... It's required a few weeks off the bike but I'm back now. I'm sticking to drops with trannys from now on!

    Keep me posted when you head up for whistler, maybe we can hook up!

    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Nice Drop FM. I looked at that one for a quick second while I was in Moab in april. I was riding my hammerhead and just didn't feel up to it at the time. But you guys made it look easy! Have to do it next time. I went on a local trail called "Rocky Ridge" last night and it was a blast. What Rocks? HA. I'm loving that bike! I can't wait to get out and ride some more, yahoo!

  20. #20
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Yeah, I do a lot of urban riding around here and those flat landings are brutal. The transitions at the bike park make the landings so sweet. I hit the dirt merchant rock drop a bunch of times last year and even did the big glc drop on a rental kona once. Man that drop got the adrenaline flowing. I'll let you knwo when we are heading up, I think it's around the last week in July. We are looking through the pique magazine for rental condos and we'll see what's available.

  21. #21
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Oh, I forgot to mention it's around 34lbs with the current setup.

  22. #22
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,444
    Nice! I'm curious to see what mine weighs.... but then I sort of enjoy not knowing.

    Definately keep me posted on whistler. I'll be there the 4th of july weekend for sure, and probably before then.... about every 3rd weekend I plan to go up. Even if I can't make it, I can hook you up with my buddy Zane that lives up there. He'll show you some good local stuff, and he's super fun to ride with!

    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Oh, I forgot to mention it's around 34lbs with the current setup.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    I'm bummed because on the 2001 they didn't have the ISCG mounts yet.
    Don't be bummed. I have an 02 RFX with the ISCG mounts. The mounts are offset to the inside of the frame too far. Therefore, unless you use about .25" of spacers, they are worthless. I also ended up using the BB flange mount method.

    KL

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    229
    I have the exact setup on my 19.5" 2000 RFX. A '99 Z-1 up front, with the 6" plates. I originally had the 5" plates, but a friend had the 6", and wanted to try the 5"'ers I had. We swapped out, and to tell you the truth, I found no difference in the geometry. The rear end just felt more plush to me, that was it. It handles quite well on very steep descents, I have found.

  25. #25
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by BrahMa
    I have the exact setup on my 19.5" 2000 RFX. A '99 Z-1 up front, with the 6" plates. I originally had the 5" plates, but a friend had the 6", and wanted to try the 5"'ers I had. We swapped out, and to tell you the truth, I found no difference in the geometry. The rear end just felt more plush to me, that was it. It handles quite well on very steep descents, I have found.
    Yeah, I agree that it handles very well on the steep stuff I have done so far. Where I am noticing any handling issue at all is with tight fast flat corners. The front end wants to tuck under more than my other bikes. I have a z150fr coming in this week and will put that on and see how that changes the bike. The extra height will hopefully fix the tuck issue and with the eta should actually climb better. The biggest thing is going to be the extra weight added but I think it's going to be worth it.

  26. #26
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,444
    I definately noticed a difference of about 1.5 degrees in the head tube when switching forks with 6" rockers. Didn't really notice the seat angle difference but I probably moved my saddle forward when I put the Z150 on.

    The RFX felt great both ways. Quick and nimble with the 5" fork but still plenty plush. However with the high BB and short head tube, (and my Z1 cut down for my old frame, so I couldn't jack the bars up much) I just felt like I had too much weight over the front end. Especially when bottoming the fork out landing a ladder-drop to steep tranny with a bike length to line up for a switchback, when the head angle was at it's steepest. In the end, I was only unhappy with the 5" Z1 in FR conditions.

    If you were to run a Z1 on the 6" RFX, I think raising the oil height might negate the front-end tucking problem. Run some higher bars/stem on there and it'd be fine.

    The Z150/RFX definately feels more balanced to me, handling, suspension and fit wise. There is a weight penalty, and more incentive to go big, safely. I'm quite happy with it. With the ETA, it certainly doesn't climb any worse!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    911
    I rode my RFX in the 5 'n 5 mode for two years, I did try the 6" rockers but didn't like the resulting geometry change, the front end was definitely steeper and I do quite a bit of shuttling & fr type of riding so the more relaxed head angle of the 5" rockers was way better.
    I've almost completed my new build for this season and already I love the way the bike handles with the Super T and the 6" rockers, a wicked bike for shuttling.

    Clem

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Very sharp. The first upgrade you do on that bike will make the single biggest impact: get the Vanilla "Push'ed" by Darren. The RFX will pedal so much more efficiently, and as gravy it will be tuned specifically for you.
    I have an RFX similar to Shane's but with blue decals and a Super-T up front. Had the Fox Vanilla PUSH'd and the difference is nothing short of amazing! I went for the full treatment and have no regrets.

    Also, I bought a stronger der hanger from this guy in LA for $25. It is black anodized and has already proven itself to be stronger than the stock Turner one. Contact info is: Monty @ Helen's bikes (in Los Angeles) 310-829-1836. You need to ask for him as the other person I spoke to didn't have a clue. Worth the $25 as I had bent or broken five of the stock hangers before getting this tip.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by t66
    Beautiful color!

    Sure would be nice with a 7" 888, but you could compromise with z150 for an all around kick A$$ ride!

    I know you'll enjoy it!
    How about an 8" 888 with a different lower crown so that the riding height is very close to a 7" fork? A buddy of mine has this setup on his Bullit and loves it!

  30. #30
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Hey Freebird did you get the "race" setup done or the "platform upgrade". They have all the services on the website but they aren't explained in that much detail. I just installed the Z150 last night and am planning on riding today on it. I wanted the ETA for climbing and none of the damn dual crowns offer it so the Z150 was really my only choice.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Hey Freebird did you get the "race" setup done or the "platform upgrade". They have all the services on the website but they aren't explained in that much detail. I just installed the Z150 last night and am planning on riding today on it. I wanted the ETA for climbing and none of the damn dual crowns offer it so the Z150 was really my only choice.
    Just got back from Northstar and Downieville. Hit Northstar Fri afternoon on opening day and the conditions were excellent! I managed to bottom out the Super-T a few times but the PUSH'd Vanilla never bottomed once! We also found a trail just south of Truckee (named Jackass?) that was cool. Lots of logs and a teeter at the top. Some good rock ride-overs and nice berms! Downieville was Downieville -- I like Northstar more...

    One of the guys had a 7" Slider with SPV (on his VP Free). The forked seemed to work very well with almost no bobbing on the climbs.

  32. #32
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Finished all the upgrades. Added the Z-150, e-thirteen DRS chainguide, Pushed rear shock, and got a set of real DH tires. It added a major amount of weight and the bike is close to 40lbs now but it is sooooo sweet. The whole bike feels more balanced in handling steep downhills and drops. I hit some really steep rutted chutes on sat and it was a piece of cake. I also hit some doubles and it jumps great! I did some urban today and hitting like 4ft drops to flat it was super soft and smooth on the landings. Very quiet too with the DRS guide keeping the chain from banging around. It's easier to balance on the skinny wall rides too. I haven't done any major climbs on it yet so can't say how the platform on the push performs but so far the damping on the drops is nice. The other thing I was suprised about was how smooth and quiet the DRS is. You can't even feel it when you are pedaling in the middle ring, and you can't hear it either. Not your typical chainguide for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Finished all the upgrades.....
    Really nice! How do you like the fork? The e-thirteen setup is sweet, I know several riders very happy with this setup.

  34. #34
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird
    Really nice! How do you like the fork? The e-thirteen setup is sweet, I know several riders very happy with this setup.
    Oh man the fork is sweet. I only have about three rides on it so I am still tuning the damping and bottom out resistance but the stiffness and pure ruggedness of the fork makes the bike seem capable of anything.

Similar Threads

  1. RFX and 5 Spot - same hangers?
    By Duncan in forum Turner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 01:09 AM
  2. cable routing on small RFX
    By shanedawg in forum Turner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 01:15 PM
  3. Looking for a Med RFX
    By tberg in forum Turner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 07:46 PM
  4. wanted: 650# spring for RFX
    By shanedawg in forum Turner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:03 PM
  5. RFX Questions
    By miles e in forum Turner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 10:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.