mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another 650b - RFX

Had my 08' RFX as a 26er for about 6mo. before I decided to go the 650b route. My agressive riding days were dwindling so I pondered a Spot but I really liked the RFX's geometry. Thought about a Sultan @ 6'4" but couldn't get past possible slower acceleration etc. Installed 650b's front and rear, 7.5 x 1.75 RP23 (125mm rear travel) and lowered my Pike Dual Air to 120mm. 13.6" BB height, 68* HA & Zero clearance issues. Really makes for a nice 5" travel trail bike.

bump and grind
    Very interesting! I also have an 08 RFX sitting around doing nothing. Question: Did you find it necessary to lower your fork and install a shorter shock? Is the BB height really too high in the stock shock configuration?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What is 650b?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwinr
    What is 650b?
    27.5" wheels.

mtbr member

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    27.5" wheels.
    Was about to ask the same question.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Man, I'm liking the looks of this. I got another Old SKOOL mod to look forward to next season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2
    Very interesting! I also have an 08 RFX sitting around doing nothing. Question: Did you find it necessary to lower your fork and install a shorter shock? Is the BB height really too high in the stock shock configuration?
    650b BB height with a 7.875 shock was close to 14.5". The bike did feel terribly tall but I had a 15"+ Bullit and VP Free that felt really tall. Primarily I wanted the shorter suspension to lower the travel and the the BB height was a bonus. I considered a 650b spot but I like options and the RFX fit the bill - different shock configurations, travel etc.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Had my 08' RFX as a 26er for about 6mo. before I decided to go the 650b route. My agressive riding days were dwindling so I pondered a Spot but I really liked the RFX's geometry. Thought about a Sultan @ 6'4" but couldn't get past possible slower acceleration etc. Installed 650b's front and rear, 7.5 x 1.75 RP23 (125mm rear travel) and lowered my Pike Dual Air to 120mm. 13.6" BB height, 68* HA & Zero clearance issues. Really makes for a nice 5" travel trail bike.

Can you post up a couple of pics of the clearance for the rear tire in the seat and chain stays? Which rear tire are you running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2.3 Pacenti Neo-moto's. Enough clearance for my riding conditions w/o rocks pinging thru the stays.

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Nice bike! Looks like you got the geometry sorted since March. I like those numbers myself and I think I can get pretty close with my rat. Makin' Franken Turners, yes we are..
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    27.5" wheels.

nice!

Members who have read this thread: 0