Hisforever

All Steel Springs Created Equal???

Fellow Homers,

Whats up at Aebike.com?

Why are Manitou steel springs $19 where Progressives Steel springs are $38.99??

I picked up some 5" rockers from G-Air for the RFX. So i need to go down 100lbs from a 550lb spring to a 450x2.00 lb spring right?.

I was just going to pull in on the Manitou spring, but its a Turner it gets all the best, minus some Titanium Ukranium.

Can anyone comment on the quality of these springs as far as longevity, liveliness, etc...

Cheers
    Last edited by SHAHEEB; 01-10-2006 at 09:53 PM. Reason: donkeys
    Jesus Saves

Just another FOC'er
    Last week in an oil weights post there was a link to http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm. Check out the spring measurements data. I especially like how Fox allows a 15% tolerance, but has 10% increments. Makes me wonder about mine...

From Peter Verdone:

"An important note on coil springs. Truly, for almost all recreation or racing applications, the material and quality of manufacture of one spring compared to another is not distinguishable. What is important is that a spring be properly rated. Most aftermarket motorsport spring companies will guarantee that the rate of a spring to be within 2% of actual (but usually run within 1%). This is reasonable from a production point of view. Fox on the other hand allows labled rates to be within 15% of actual (oh my god!).

Recently, I decided to go up to a 500# fox spring from a 450# fox spring. While both springs were off the bike I rated them. The 450# rated at 441# (-2%) and the new 500# rated at 450#(-10%). This is pretty lame. Both springs were 4.900" free length and rated between 0.250-1.250" and 0.500-1.500" of compression with consistent results. I even tried ordering a 500# spring from Mountain Speed (Eibach), It was far heavier (in weight) than the stock spring and it only rated at 458#. Finally, I borrowed another riders seemingly identical stock 450# labled spring and it rated at 480#. It is pretty amazing that this kind of crap can go on in a supposed race quality part."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wtf

That is not good. Are you positive of the tolerance allowance in manufacturing from Fox? That seems pretty sloppy, and your own testing is shows a depressing amount of variation as well.

DT

banned
    I could see this making the design phase of frames a bit tougher. Sad, very sad that we pay outlandish prices for equipment and there isn't a corresponding care take in making them a properly functioning part.

Lay off the Levers
    I wonder if they allow such variance in the mfg tolerances in their dampers. There has been some conflicting opinions of performance and settings of same dampers by different people. It would be hard to seperate opinion/terrain from component differences w/o a b2b... something to be mindful when reading two oposing opinions on such a component. I'm sure they can't get too far off though otherwise the thing would probably leak or lock up entirely. (*cough* stuck down *cough*)
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

~~~~~~~~
    SHAHEEB,
    you need to get a spring that is longer than 2.00.
    but then again your phone and your computer don't work and you probably already ordered...
    just get an air shock....
    having problem with the donkeys now also huh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Last week in an oil weights post there was a link to http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm. Check out the spring measurements data. I especially like how Fox allows a 15% tolerance, but has 10% increments. Makes me wonder about mine...

From Peter Verdone:

"An important note on coil springs. Truly, for almost all recreation or racing applications, the material and quality of manufacture of one spring compared to another is not distinguishable. What is important is that a spring be properly rated. Most aftermarket motorsport spring companies will guarantee that the rate of a spring to be within 2% of actual (but usually run within 1%). This is reasonable from a production point of view. Fox on the other hand allows labled rates to be within 15% of actual (oh my god!).

Recently, I decided to go up to a 500# fox spring from a 450# fox spring. While both springs were off the bike I rated them. The 450# rated at 441# (-2%) and the new 500# rated at 450#(-10%). This is pretty lame. Both springs were 4.900" free length and rated between 0.250-1.250" and 0.500-1.500" of compression with consistent results. I even tried ordering a 500# spring from Mountain Speed (Eibach), It was far heavier (in weight) than the stock spring and it only rated at 458#. Finally, I borrowed another riders seemingly identical stock 450# labled spring and it rated at 480#. It is pretty amazing that this kind of crap can go on in a supposed race quality part."

Sounds like an experience I had with my Romic springs. I went from 500lb to 450lb and got a firmer ride with less sag at the same preload setting.

Members who have read this thread: 0