mtbr member

All dressed up and nowhere to go ...

Well, a few months ago I made an impulse buy

Scrounged the basement for parts

The cockpit went through a couple of iterations

Took Microsoft down with the live.com deals while they lasted

JNC got involved too and provided some of his stunning art

And finally I ended up with this

Now if only all this snow would melt ....

Large 2008 Spot gloss white
    2009 Magura Thor
    Chris King headset
    Chris King Hubs laced to Stan's Flow rims
    2.25 Maxxis Ardent set up tubeless
    Thomson 70mm stem and seatpost
    FSA Carbon DH handlebar
    Formula K24 brakes (180mm and 160mm rotors)
    SRAM X9 drivetrain
    Shimano XT crankset
    Hope QR
    Shimano M959 pedals

Weight: 28.8lbs

Amphibious Technologies
    I really like the blue accents on white. Very nicely done! Congrats!
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

not so super...
    Great looking bike! What is the design in decal?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    That looks fantastic.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    kokapellis! sweet! bike looks very nice man. congrats. i keep hearin rumors of this thing called spring and how its on the way. it sounds familliar but im not sure i believe in it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Great looking bike! What is the design in decal?
    Thank you!

The design element is Kokopelli. I am a closet Southwesterner hopelessly stuck in the Northeast ...

Moosehead
    Nice. Looking forward to Magura fork report almost as much as looking forward to spring. Enjoy.

Official Member
    so, you "Scrounged the basement for parts", eh. I wish my basement was stocked like yours! I tend to only find v-brakes, and 140mm stems down there.

Nice bike. That thing is going to be fun.

Outcast
    Nice looking spot.
    "Scrounged"; yea, I scrounged my garage for parts for my upcoming spot build, and decided I didn't want to put any of that junk on it, so I went out and bought all new "scrounged parts" too.
    now you just need to get rid of all that white crap on the ground.

locked - time out
    You gonna be ready for spring Renny?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    You gonna be ready for spring Renny?
    Spring as in right now, while there isn't much snow, or spring as in april, when we've gotten hit with 4 feet of new snow?

The front triangle is out for powdercoat. I've got to polish the rear frame pieces, put it back together, get a couple more do-dads, and build it up. I'm still about a month away.

edit: I still have, and will be keeping, the RFX, so I'm not without wheels.

Time flies...
    Hey... my "Kokospoti" design looks pretty good in blue, I must say!

...actually, the whole bike looks great! Nice job!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Hey... my "Kokospoti" design looks pretty good in blue, I must say!

...actually, the whole bike looks great! Nice job!!
    Thank you!!

I swear I did not see your Kokospoti before but now that you show your decals, that looks just like the first set of proofs Jay sent me. I asked him to break the symmetry of the design in the T and he changed it to bigger Kokopellis that don't repeat horizontally.

Love the warm colors on the raw frame, great combo.

Time flies...
    ...no, thank you!
    When I asked for a Kokopelli theme from JNC, I got the impression he hadn't done one before. It took him weeks to come up w/ what you see. And I was working on an orange theme...

Now, side-by-side, I'd have to say I like yours better. Very nice!!
    ...every day sends future to past...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Thank you!

The design element is Kokopelli. I am a closet Southwesterner hopelessly stuck in the Northeast ...

I can see that now on the home PC. I was really tough to see on an iPod touch screen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beautiful Spot. TOTM!!

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I can see that now on the home PC. I was really tough to see on an iPod touch screen.
    I'll show you my tattoo if you want to see one riding a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    It took him weeks to come up w/ what you see.
    huh? weeks? lol

Lay off the Levers
    Huh, Jay still does stickers?

That bike looks awesome! Nice.
    Hey did you really shoot those first three shots at ISO800? Impressive, just when I convinced myself I don't need a DSLR...
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    looks hot. waiting for warmer weather as well
    TOTM is right, sweet shots as well. waiting on set of those ardents in 2.4 for the spring. can't wait to try them out.

illiterate or intoxicated
    Sweet ride! Nice color combo.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Captain Underpants
    Blue on white. Sweet.

mtbr member

Don't turn your back on it

in that environment you migh not be able to find it easily Nice build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Blue bottom bracket (CK or Hope) and rockring (Gamut or e13)?
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Thank you to everyone for the compliments on the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Looking forward to Magura fork report almost as much as looking forward to spring.
    I haven't spent much time on the fork yet but the chassis seems solid. I had to mod the fork a bit to get rid of a slightly harsh top-out. Magura was helpful in providing info on how to tweak the feel of the fork with oil volumes (particularly to make the fork a bit more progressive).

Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819
    so, you "Scrounged the basement for parts", eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    "Scrounged"; yea, I scrounged my garage for parts for my upcoming spot build, and decided I didn't want to put any of that junk on it, so I went out and bought all new "scrounged parts" too.
    now you just need to get rid of all that white crap on the ground.
    Well, I did have a build and a half for the RFX (extra wheels, stem, crankset, ...) and when this frame kept staring at me on eBay, there was only so much I could do to resist! But yes, things always start out as "this one is going to be a budget build", right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hey did you really shoot those first three shots at ISO800? Impressive, just when I convinced myself I don't need a DSLR...
    Get your nose out of my EXIF data! Yes, the first two shots were taken with only one 5000K studio light and handheld (no flash), so I needed to boost the ISO. The third shot was actually taken outside with a large diffuser between the bike and direct sunlight, I probably could have gotten away with lower ISO. The new breed of D-SLR have phenomenal high-ISO performance and it keeps getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by kreater
    waiting on set of those ardents in 2.4 for the spring. can't wait to try them out.
    tiss'er is rocking a set of Ardent 2.4 on his Spot and he seems to like them a lot. He mentioned that the sidewall of the 2.4 is a fair bit beefier than the 2.25 and he has had no problem with a tubeless setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Victrix
    Blue bottom bracket (CK or Hope) and rockring (Gamut or e13)? Nice!
    I thought about it but that's where I drew the "budget" line. I had a perfectly good, light bashguard and bottom bracket, but the Gamut blue bashguard sure looks nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Thank you to everyone for the compliments on the bike!

I haven't spent much time on the fork yet but the chassis seems solid. I had to mod the fork a bit to get rid of a slightly harsh top-out. Magura was helpful in providing info on how to tweak the feel of the fork with oil volumes (particularly to make the fork a bit more progressive).
    Very nice white and blue combination, sir! Have always wanted a blue and white bike but my last and current bikes are still all anno black with red and blue blings.

Kinda interested on what modifications you did with your Magura Thor. Also have one on my Yeti 575 and finding it hard to set it up. Any tips?

BTW, did you have any problems with your travel adjust on your Thor?

mtbr member
    How does one get the stickers done? Is there as template that I can use?

Thanks,
    KW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rku615
    How does one get the stickers done? Is there as template that I can use?

Thanks,
    KW
    Send a PM to jncarpenter, he'll hook you up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bebahsan
    Very nice white and blue combination, sir! Have always wanted a blue and white bike but my last and current bikes are still all anno black with red and blue blings.

Kinda interested on what modifications you did with your Magura Thor. Also have one on my Yeti 575 and finding it hard to set it up. Any tips?

BTW, did you have any problems with your travel adjust on your Thor?
    I haven't noticed any problems with the travel adjust yet. I have decided not to install the handlebar-mounted remote, instead I can operate the travel adjust manually right on the fork (rotate, push down on the handlebar, let go of the knob).

I had two issues with the fork: 1) not progressive enough, 2) harsh top-out clunk

Magura USA told me that one can add up to 3ml of 20wt oil (they use Magura blood Type 5) in the air chamber to reduce the volume and make the spring more progressive.

As far as top-out clunk goes, unfortunately my feeling is that it is the way the fork is. I have heard from owners of both the Thor and the Wotan that it's a slightly annoying "feature" of the fork. While troubleshooting the issue, I opened the air cartridge (FCR unit) and the source of the problem seems pretty apparent to me.

This is a picture of the FCR unit, the space between the two big seals is the negative air chamber and the plastic bushings limit its minimum volume. The lower bushing has a shoulder and an elastomer, while the upper bushing does not. The thunk is the noise that the upper bushing makes when it hits the seal that separates the positive from the negative air chambers. In fact, if the fork is lowered even just a bit from maximum extension so that the top bushing never reaches the seal no noise is heard or felt.

A six-pack of brews helped me convince one of the technicians where I work to teach me to use the lathe. I found some nylon scraps and ordered a couple of different durometer elastomers (oil-resistant foam works best) and made a bushing with a shoulder that can support an elastomer.

The combined height of the new bushing and elastomer is just a bit longer than the original bushing to preserve total travel when the fork is fully extended.

With this mod, the fork feels great bouncing in the parking lot. No more harsh top-out and I can still use travel adjust and everything else.

I have not played with oil viscosity in the damper side yet, but I have heard that the stock oil is gives too much brake dive when the Albert Select is not in use. I may decide to fine tune the viscosity as well but I will wait until I have some time on the fork first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

separated at birth?

white k24's, JNC decals and thor, Keep me up on your thor tuning experiments, I also experiencing the top out clunk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by baltik; 02-13-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    I'll show you my tattoo if you want to see one riding a bike
    You have one? I have a Koko biker tat too (as in also, tat being short for tattoo).
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

dang, dude, make me jealous

I just got a Thor, and am having the travel adjust problem (just trying to cycle it / adjust by hand....I haven't actually mounted it). Since it is brand spankin new I'm not breaking it open until I feel abandoned by Magura / source. Plus I don't even see how, unless you have to pry stuff off the top or bottom of the legs. Also, I don't have the 5-spot yet, but that is what I am hoping for...although I think I want a Horst. I'll never have one as pimp as yours, but I just want the ride I think it will give. Most used ones have been mediums. I need the large. Almost took the risk of bidding on one in England, but chickened out. Heck, it had the Magura Hugin rear. That would have been the anti-homer, don't you think? Full Magura squish. Homer...meet Hans.

It's been a month. Have you been able to ride it yet? How is it?....the fork with the Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by impatient
    I just got a Thor, and am having the travel adjust problem (just trying to cycle it / adjust by hand....I haven't actually mounted it). Since it is brand spankin new I'm not breaking it open until I feel abandoned by Magura / source. Plus I don't even see how, unless you have to pry stuff off the top or bottom of the legs. Also, I don't have the 5-spot yet, but that is what I am hoping for...although I think I want a Horst. I'll never have one as pimp as yours, but I just want the ride I think it will give. Most used ones have been mediums. I need the large. Almost took the risk of bidding on one in England, but chickened out. Heck, it had the Magura Hugin rear. That would have been the anti-homer, don't you think? Full Magura squish. Homer...meet Hans.

It's been a month. Have you been able to ride it yet? How is it?....the fork with the Spot.
    It was actually the guys at Magura USA who guided me through the teardown to troubleshoot the top-out problem. If you feel that the fork is not working properly, give them a call, they'll be able to help you out. Magura has outstanding customer service and stands fully behind their products.

It may be worth starting a new thread in the suspension forum on tuning and tweaking the Thor. It sounds like most people are 80% happy with this fork, but I feel that given the simplicity of the internals it could be customized really well for each user.

Regarding your specific question on the FCR unit, to pull it out you need to make sure that there is no air in the chamber, pry the black and red knobs at the bottom of the lowers with a screwdriver (they are press fit) and unbolt the lowers. You can then pull the lowers and access the bottom of the FCR cartridge. You will need snap-ring pliers to pull out a snap ring that holds the FCR unit inside the stanchion and it should slide right out.

Don't get too hung up on the Horst link vs. TNT, the ride is really similar. I used to ride a Horst link Flux, then I replaced the rear triangle and I don't regret it at all.

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to take the bike on a trail. Everything here is still under snow and ice or goopy mud. On top of that, I hit a tree skiing in the woods ten days ago and busted two ribs. Today was my first ride on the road and it didn't feel much worse than sitting on the couch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I tricked out an 08 RFX. Had the frame and chainstays powdercoated a special burgandy. Yellow Selle Strike saddle. All Hone. Tubeless. It was a great bike.

After 6 rides, someone figured out how to steal it from an upstairs condo. $7,700 down the toilet.

My replacement is gray and has no markings on it.

Oh, and it is chained to the crocodile in my living room.

Members who have read this thread: 0