Adidas Plush MTB Shoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Adidas Plush MTB Shoe

I stopped by and visited with the Go-Ride fellas yesterday, and while I was there I spotted the Adidas Plush MTB shoe which is meant to target the AM/FR market fitting nicely between the Hematoma (DH) and their numerous full fledged XC offerings. Unfortunately they didn't have my size in stock, but they should by the time I head back up to SLC in a couple of weeks. Anyway, does anybody have any experience with this shoe? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey Crash... I'm not familiar with the Adidas Plush shoes, but I found some shoes that you should denfinitely check out. They're the best shoes that I've ever tried. A lot of the FR and DH gang in the area use them and swear by them.

They're the Specialized BG TRAIL 120 SL SHOE. They're super light, have great protection, and are are better for pedaling than even the Sidi Doms that I used for years.

They have protection for the ankles and toes, plus they're cut out in the back so that you can pedal without interference on the achilles tendon. They're stiffer in the sole and work better than Sidis. The soles have very grippy cleats and they come with metal toe spikes.

I've been using them for almost a year and they're great. I highly recommend them They list for $200.

• Super lightweight Approx. 380 gm (1/2 pr 42/9)
    • Full BG features in the footbed & outsole: Exclusive metatarsal button and longitudinal arch support reduce hotspots and swelling, and varus wedge adjustment angles foot slightly for improved ergonomics and knee/foot/hip alignment
    • Umma Gumma rubber outsole uses DH tire technology for best traction & durability
    • 3/4 cuff ankle protects without inhibiting mobility
    • Light, tough, water-resistant Micromatrix upper with strategic welded protection
    • Full FACT carbon midsole

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There's also a non-carbon version for about $130, and the sole still seems plenty stiff to me. Nice, umma gumma rubber on the soles for traction. If only they held my heels down!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hey shorts, i ruined my old sidi eagles in moab and i need new shoes. prob is i have these little girl type, narrow as hell, rectangular, euro feet and find a good fit is tough to come by. are these pretty narrow in the toe box?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Hey Blue, do they come in 'Zilla sizes? I use a 14-15US or 50eur
    If they're stiff like SIDIs and can cinch up tightly and have a decent tread ***WHICH THE SIDIs DON'T*** then I'm interested.

Cosmo... which shoe are you talking about the Addidas or the Spechy?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hey shorts, i ruined my old sidi eagles in moab and i need new shoes. prob is i have these little girl type, narrow as hell, rectangular, euro feet and find a good fit is tough to come by. are these pretty narrow in the toe box?
    CC,
    I have narrow feet as well. Both Shimano & Specialized fit me OK

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got medium forefeet, with really narrow heels. Shimano road and mtb, as well as Spec road shoes hold my heels like a vise, but for some reason Spec mtb shoes let my heel slop around. Every dang one I've tried. I just end up buying a pair of Shimano M80's or whatever this year's number is for around $75, and grind through them in a year or two.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I've tried a pair of those on and didn't find them particularly comfortable, but maybe they'd break-in with a little wear. Regardless Specialized recommends that you don't use Time pedals with their carbon soles. The cages on the pedals wear grooves into the carbon sole allowing the cleat to shift around within the cages. I had a pair of the BG Pro Carbons that developed this problem.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I've tried a pair of those on and didn't find them particularly comfortable, but maybe they'd break-in with a little wear. Regardless Specialized recommends that you don't use Time pedals with their carbon soles. The cages on the pedals wear grooves into the carbon sole allowing the cleat to shift around within the cages. I had a pair of the BG Pro Carbons that developed this problem.
    Interesting.
    I've been using BG carbon soled Speshy shoes since May. Yes, a groove has worn into the carbon. No, I haven't noticed any adverse effect due to it.

I've been using carbon soled shoes almost exclusively for years and those groves form on all of them.

I'll show ya Thursday when I get there.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have the non-carbon models of the Specy shoes BS mentioned. Mine are the Trail 110. They use a similar sole to the regular Specy body geometry xc models with more rubber coverage and more tread. They are warmer and a little burier than the xc models too. I am digging mine, but then I have a lot of Specy shoes and they work for me in general. I really fail to see the point behind the Specy carbon soles. They are essentially no lighter and only dog poo will see the bling.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Hijack!!!!!!

There's a thread over on AK that needs your input, Mr. T--something to do with welding.

Ken
    No matter where you go, there you are.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    'Zilla sizes... I use a 14-15US or 50eur
    Shesh bro, they would give you a mighty fine grip on the country side. Thought mine were big, dont be like me and go to Japan and expect to purchase shoes, no go bro!.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    Hijack!!!!!!
    I recommend open-toe shoes. Better yet, Tevas or Birkenstocks.

Signed-
    The Master Welder
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Zilla... Wow. You must be great in the snow I find them stiffer than Sidi. When I pedal, it feels like I'm pushing down with my whole foot as opposed to just the ball of the foot.
    I don't see any thing larger than size 48/14 on the Spesh site:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=16265

Hopefully they size them on the large side of 14.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I really fail to see the point behind the Specy carbon soles.
    I like the Pros better but it has nothing to do with the carbon sole. They simply fit better than the Comps do. Plus I felt they are a little cooler with the additional venting.

Squeak, I'm out for Thursday, but I'll see you Fri & Sat.

... I guess you won't be
    hey, don't schput the birkenstocks....my girl and I went biking last night and she forgot her shoes. She rode the whole trail, at night, in slip-in sandal birkenstocks on DH platforms....yeah baby!

them fancy dancer shoes are great if you need the best SPD compatible comfort China has to offer...but, give me a Five Ten Impact high top anyday....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    CC, That's a tough one to answer. They seem pretty normal to me. I wouldn't say that they are narrow. They're similar to Sidi in to fit.

Team Blindspot

CC, I just picked up a set of Spesh BG comps, very nice shoes, we will see how they hold up.

I got them at the shop Sammy works at, he was in and Suhani and I said hi.

Later
    Astigmatic Visionary

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I too have had fairly good experience with the fit of specialized and Shimano for my narrow feet - I tried Sidi's (which are apparently wider in Australia then the standard size in the US and Europe) and found them to be too wide.

Currently using shimano's happily

Bodhisattva
    Crash,

Performance has the Plush on sale for $69 right now

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

Code 6001731 will get you 10% off on all web or phone orders today only Oct 23
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 10-23-2006 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Adidas Hammer mountain bike shoes. I have worn them for about a month now, and have some beef with them:

1. the lacing system is of the "pull to tighten" type. It is impossible to adjust tigthening pressure locally i.e. you cannot have the toebox area a little looser than the arch area. When you pull on the laces, the toebox area gets the most tight, so if you wanted a snug fit on your arch snug, your toes could be hurting..

2. they seem to work well with narrow feet - not so well with mine, i prefer the pearl izumi, squarer, toebox. bummer because it took a week of riding to figure this out, could not tell walking around in the store.. certainly different when you are riding for real (standing, grinding). Maybe the lacing system has something to do with that.

Other than that, they look good and fit my poser status.

I also saw a pair of top end Shimano's at a store this past weekend. $300, heat moulded to fit your foot, carbon soles. Overkill..

Lay off the Levers
    Performance as the Plush on sale for $69 right now
    Crap no clown sizes. The lake winter boots are on sale too $150...

same issue though only toddler sizes 13.5 and under... Guess I'll have to ride with sandals.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by techFiend
    I also saw a pair of top end Shimano's at a store this past weekend. $300, heat moulded to fit your foot, carbon soles. Overkill..
    No.
    Perfect.
    We're all just a bunch of poseurs anyway.

i really was thinkin of gettin some of those addiddaaassss. they looked like a good deal and a good fit. i dig the pull laces on my salomon shoes so i figured these would kick ass too. then i got to thinkin... the new dog needs upgrades and the old one needs maintenance, both need flea lube and the 3 cats need their yearly tune ups too. not sure where i stand on cat lube. so no shoes for daddy this week and its my damn birthday on fri. i better get my parts box or im gonna be all sad and shyt.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Friday's your birthday? Kewl there's just enough time to alert Willard Scott.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey CC, tell your home slice Squish to post up his pics sometime, we can use them Fri to make fun of you

hes never gonna post those. i think he only used us for THC. i feel so cheap. much like bo chisel must go through daily.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oh... and one more thing.. Note the tongue of the shoe.. It has got the mesh and then some kind of a hexagonal EVA-type liner in between. Seems like it was designed so that you get lots of air in to cool your feet. My Adidas Hammer has that very same tongue design.

Not the best design because they bunch up when you tighten the laces and cause hot spots. Again, not the stuff you feel trying them on in the store...

Bodhisattva
    Thanks for the info.
    I ordered the Plush from Performance. Cost me $70 shipped and I can return them to the local Performance up the block and only lose a few bucks shipping. Will post back.

mtbr member
    Squeak which size did you end up going with? I typically run a 13 in my sneakers and 47's in my mtb. shoes.

Bodhisattva
    CTD,
    I have a Performance outlet up the street so returns are no problem.
    I ordered 10.5, 11 & 11.5 and will keep whatever fits

mtbr member
    Why you sneaky little bastard!

Living the Dream

Was that delivered in a Cartman Voice.

Why you sneaky little bastard!
    I just pictured Eric saying that to Stan.

BTW, are you caught up on Lost yet so we can have some way OT discussions on here. Rent season 1 of Prison Break. I think you and Ben would like that show.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    BTW, are you caught up on Lost yet so we can have some way OT discussions on here.
    My wife and I burned through the season 2 DVD's in a week, but I have yet to see any of the 3rd season episodes. My damned rabbit ears won't pick up ABC.

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    I ride with the Hematomas and dig them a lot. The only thing I would say is a draw back is the weight and how hot they get. It looks as though Adidas might have taken in some customer feedback and taken care of those concerns. When next summer rolls around I may get hooked up with these.
    "A splendid time was had by all and all were had." ~ Wire Train

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    CTD,
    I have a Performance outlet up the street so returns are no problem.
    I ordered 10.5, 11 & 11.5 and will keep whatever fits
    Squeaky what's the verdict on the shoes?

Bodhisattva
    Squeaky what's the verdict on the shoes?
    Haven't ridden them yet.

As for fit...

I'm generally a true size 11, but the Plush run small.
    The 11.5 (Euro 46) is a good fit for me & feels similar to my size 11 Speeshy & Shimano shoes. My toes touch the front of the 11s but I'm not swimming in the 11.5.
    Fit across the middle is neutral.
    Not much ventilation. Definitely not something I'd want to wear mid -summer for prolonged pedaling.
    Has a good study rubber tread and will be far more flexible for hike-a-bike than my Speeshy carbon shoes.
    Ankle support is OK. The no-lace instep works well.

I think this shoe will work well for hike-a-bike when breathability isn't much of an issue.

mtbr member
    I'm also in the market for some AM/Trail type shoes. My old Answer Speeders are totally blown out and the rubber soles are almost gone.

Is the Specialized Sawpit kinda in the same category? It's half off right now ($72) same as the Adidas Plush..... and looks more "normal" whatever that means. I didn't see a weight though. Maybe they're a lot heavier?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mmmmmmmmmmmmm... carbon!

yeeeeeeeeellllllllccchhhh... velcro only!

think id rather have the adididididididas
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0