mtbr member

6Pack DHX5 Coil question.

Hi,
    I am trying to setup my DHX5 to fit my weight and riding style.
    I weigh 180 lb with the riding gear, got a 6Pack with 500 X 2.35 spring.
    The spring preload is 0.35 inch and I get ~34% sag and a very plush / soft suspension behavior - too soft if I may say so.
    Playing with air pressures and air volume improved things but not the overall behaviour.
    What spring would you reccomend for my weight?

Thanks
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

banned
    What about the suspension's behavior makes you call it "too soft"?

Is it bottoming out regularly?

According to your 34% sag figure, it doesn't seem to sag too much. As I understand the DHX and other Fox coil shocks, too much sag is the primary indicator of a need to bump up the spring rating.

What's the recommended sag for the RFX - 6 Pack? 25-35 %, isn't it?

Have you adjusted the rebound and ProPedal according to your preferences?

Are you expecting it to be much firmer?

Could your expectations be off?

Lay off the Levers
    Fox springs allow for a 15% deviation from the marked rate. Your actual spring rate could be as soft as 425#.
    You probably could use a stiffer spring, It wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe the place that sold you the bike can hook you up with a loaner.

If it's way too mushy regardless of your adjustments, Experiment with a 100# stiffer spring.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

My expectations..

are based on my intentions to use the bike as an AM bike and not a DH rig, It bottoms out too easily.

A calculator I found on the web (TF Tuned Shoks) sugested I need a 630 lb spring.
    I got a friend ( 140 lbs) that uses a 500 lb spring on an RFX and is happy with it.

I was hoping to hear what other 6Pack+DHX owners are using...

Thanks

Saar
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

Well Biked
    I weigh 185 before gear and run a 600. Seems perfect. Most of the guys on the board recommended that weight and it worked out. If you weight 180 before gear you may be running a too light a spring.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Saar G7
    are based on my intentions to use the bike as an AM bike and not a DH rig, It bottoms out too easily.

A calculator I found on the web (TF Tuned Shoks) sugested I need a 630 lb spring.
    I got a friend ( 140 lbs) that uses a 500 lb spring on an RFX and is happy with it.

I was hoping to hear what other 6Pack+DHX owners are using...

Thanks

Saar
    I'm 210 w/gear and I'm running a 600, I think I'm on the border between the 600 and 650 but the 600 seems to work nicely. Try 30% sag if you want a firmer ride but yeah I would say you need a firmer spring too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.
    I will look for a 600 - 650 lb spring.
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

Just another FOC'er
    Hi,
    I am trying to setup my DHX5 to fit my weight and riding style.
    I weigh 180 lb with the riding gear, got a 6Pack with 500 X 2.35 spring.
    The spring preload is 0.35 inch and I get ~34% sag and a very plush / soft suspension behavior - too soft if I may say so.
    Playing with air pressures and air volume improved things but not the overall behaviour.
    What spring would you reccomend for my weight?

Thanks
    You've gotta wonder about that spring if your measurements are right.

34% sag is 0.68". If you took that 0.35" preload off you'd expect it to sag 1.03". That should take 515 lbs of force on that spring.

You divide that by the leverage ratio (3) that means you've got 172 lbs on the back tire. If you assume the 35% front / 65% rear sag ratio that means you'd have to weigh 265 lbs (172/0.65).

Just sayin'

BTW, I use a 500 lb spring and I'm 165-170 w/gear, run basically no preload, and have maybe 32% sag. Like BZ says, the spring tolerances are pretty suspect though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As said before, steel spring tollerances are all over the map, and I think that this is a very large issue that lots of people do not know. a 500lb being from 425 - 575 is insane and makes it impossible to truely know what rate worts for you.. I know for a fact that the RCS ti springs have WAY less variation.

The DHX is a little confusing with the calculators like TFTuned as it is neither a spv nor a 'shimmed only' damper. It can have a bit of platform and also bottom resistance a la the 5th but to a much lower level.

If you are using the bike for more 'all mt' type of riding, then i think that 35% is too much sag, and you have too much pre-load. If you are off in your pre-load measurements by a hundredth, you could end up binding your spring and causing damage to the frame! Going to a stiffer spring with less pre-load can allow the same sag but a steeper rate 'curve' giving much better bottom protection and a more 'progressive' feel. Then you can back off the Boost valve and have a more bottomless feel.
    I would say at least 550 lbs (what I run with a differnt shock, same weight, but very little saddle time) but 600 would be a safe bet.

No, that's not phonetic
    You probably want a 600. I am 180, probably 190 with gear, and I ride a 600 very happily. Plush but still offers good bottoming protection. Just under 30% sag. The DHX does not offer enough damped bottoming protection to keep you from slamming the shock all the way home doing ugly drops at much over 30% sag.

I have a 650 for sale if you want to try it though.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The DHX does not offer enough damped bottoming protection to keep you from slamming the shock all the way home doing ugly drops at much over 30% sag.
    I just built one of your shock travel measurement gizmos

I'll hit some drops and report back how fast I'm blowing through the travel. It'll be a little while though because of a little crashipoo at Mammoth last weekend (sore shoulder).

Slippery Mammoth dust:
    Attached Images Attached Images

deez nuts
    "scammers can blow me".........word.

Xtremely Moderate
    Thanks for the info.
    I will look for a 600 - 650 lb spring.
    Look no further.
    I have a couple 600 lb. springs. I'll let one go cheap if you're interested.
    PM me.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Roy
    mtbr member
    Agree with the above - I'm just under 180 and ride a 550 which is on the light side and I've gotten a 600 to try it out. I'm amazed with you on a 500, yet not sagging thru 1/2 of your travel or more, even with alot of preload. Your 500 may have variance above the 500 (ie. you might be closer to 550, than 450).

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You probably want a 600. I am 180, probably 190 with gear, and I ride a 600 very happily. Plush but still offers good bottoming protection. Just under 30% sag. The DHX does not offer enough damped bottoming protection to keep you from slamming the shock all the way home doing ugly drops at much over 30% sag.

I have a 650 for sale if you want to try it though.
    I will take that spring, can you bring it with you?, I've been happy with the 600 spring and have only noticed the suspension bottom on a couple occasions but maybe with all the drops to flat on the plate I should try a heavier spring at my weight.

How much preload do you run with the 600 spring? I'm running the collar about halfway down the threads, seems about right.

Members who have read this thread: 0