66 SL on RFXs- Mtbr.com

Thread: 66 SL on RFXs

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

66 SL on RFXs

Anyone with 66 SL on RFX/6Pack happy with it? And using full travel?
    How does it ride with 170mm, is it to tall?
    I'm considering 66 ATA for mine but would like to know how it performs with such tall A/C height tough it could be lowered down with ATA.
    Actually this wasn't my choice, even had considered it but the fork I chose has been presenting too many problems (lyrik 2-step) so changed my mind.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenTurner
    Anyone with 66 SL on RFX/6Pack happy with it? And using full travel?
    How does it ride with 170mm, is it to tall?
    I'm considering 66 ATA for mine but would like to know how it performs with such tall A/C height tough it could be lowered down with ATA.
    Actually this wasn't my choice, even had considered it but the fork I chose has been presenting too many problems (lyrik 2-step) so changed my mind.

The 66 is the fork-de jour on the RFX. Just do a search or look in the setup section and you will see 66 after 66 and then another. Im running the Lyrik coil and like it so far, but all this 66 talk has me thinking of buying one of those too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    The 66 is the fork-de jour on the RFX. Just do a search or look in the setup section and you will see 66 after 66 and then another. Im running the Lyrik coil and like it so far, but all this 66 talk has me thinking of buying one of those too.
    Yeah, I saw many on set up section but wonder if they use it at 170mm travel or less since it can be adjusted by air.
    Does your lyrik bottom out often? Some has reported HS compression useless and linear, not progressive at end.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Yeah, I saw many on set up section but wonder if they use it at 170mm travel or less since it can be adjusted by air.
    Does your lyrik bottom out often? Some has reported HS compression useless and linear, not progressive at end.
    I have yet to bottom the Lyrik at all. I have to admit that I am on a spring that is too soft and have had that in the back of my mind, but still havnt really held back too much. When the new springs come out I will be anxious to try some of the FR stuff that is in my area to see how it handles.

The fork itself is linear, but I tend to like this feel. I took some time the other day to really play around with the compression and found the adjustment to be effective. After riding the same section of trail on the same line with different fork settings, I noticed the differences and eventually found a setting that felt best. Again, this is with a spring that is too soft so I will have to do it all again when the stiffer spring comes, but I enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have yet to bottom the Lyrik at all. I have to admit that I am on a spring that is too soft and have had that in the back of my mind, but still havnt really held back too much. When the new springs come out I will be anxious to try some of the FR stuff that is in my area to see how it handles.

The fork itself is linear, but I tend to like this feel. I took some time the other day to really play around with the compression and found the adjustment to be effective. After riding the same section of trail on the same line with different fork settings, I noticed the differences and eventually found a setting that felt best. Again, this is with a spring that is too soft so I will have to do it all again when the stiffer spring comes, but I enjoyed it.
    Would you mind saying how much do you weight? Is it the stock spring?
    How many turns to go from 160 to 115mm? Glad to know comp adjustments work.
    I read somebody complaining about adjustments.

No, that's not phonetic
    I am loving my 66SL though it has taken a VERY long time to break in, even for an air Zoke. I think a lot of folks would have bailed on it by now, but for me it has arrived.

I run it at 160-165mm normally. It is fine at 170 too. It is easy to dial in tons of sag if you want. The fork is extremely adjustable. Two positive air chambers plus a progressive air chamber, a negative air, various dampers, and oil levels and viscosities. Yes, a lot to mess with, and a lot to screw up. It is a fork tuner's fork. If you like your stuff simple and instantly dialed/broken in, stay away. If you tend to have long relationships with forks and like to get it to feel just so, this is the tool for the RFX.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-27-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Would you mind saying how much do you weight? Is it the stock spring?
    How many turns to go from 160 to 115mm? Glad to know comp adjustments work.
    I read somebody complaining about adjustments.
    I weigh 205 riding and Im still on the stock spring. It looks like the heavier springs will be out in Nov., so I already have several shops looking for one. I have been considering using a heavier wt oil as well, but havnt really decided if I want to or not. Sram said that you could use up to 10wt., but the said that the performance may, yes, may suffer. Also, others are suggesting more oil to help with the progression, but I dont know if that will work or not.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I am loving my 66SL though it has taken a VERY long time to break in, even for an air Zoke. I think a lot of folks would have bailed on it by now, but I have arrived.

I run it at 160-165mm normally. It is fine at 170 too. It is easy to dial in tons of sag if you want. The fork is extremely adjustable. Two positive air chambers plus a progressive air chamber, a negative air, various dampers, and oil levels and viscosities. Yes, a lot to mess with, and a lot to screw up. It is a fork tuner's fork. If you like your stuff simple and instantly dialed/broken in, stay away. If you tend to have long relationships with forks and like to get it to feel just so, this is the tool for the RFX.

That brought a tear to my eye!!

long standing member
    That brought a tear to my eye!!
    Well, when I get mine up and running you can help me set it up...that should really make you cry...tears of frustration, anyway.

FWIW, my 66sl feels a little sticky when I pump it up and down in my living room.

Patrick

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Well, when I get mine up and running you can help me set it up...that should really make you cry...tears of frustration, anyway.

FWIW, my 66sl feels a little sticky when I pump it up and down in my living room.

Patrick
    Hey patrick - how'd it get sticky and doesn't the wifey get pissed when you pump it in the living room?

Running mine at 160mm with the 5.3" Spot rockers in the back and if the terrain calls for it I can always lower it or raise it up.

The 66SL is "THE" fork for the RFX/Pack/RFX. Like TS said, it can be a long road to get it right (my road involved a trip back to Zocchi) but well worth it in the end. Renegade should be posting his 2006 for sale soon with new white lowers on it.
    Nothing to see here.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Hey patrick - how'd it get sticky and doesn't the wifey get pissed when you pump it in the living room?

HAHAHAHAHAH, too funny. Its not a Sweedish fork, man! Not his bag.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The 66SL is "THE" fork for the RFX/Pack/RFX.
    being so homeresque makes me almost wish i did not get one.....but only "almost"

Lay off the Levers
    Mine was really buttery after the first oil change, and has been so ever since. Setting the height can be tricky and not something I like to do often It's simple to change the oil. The action feels very coil-like compared to my two previous coil Zokes (03Z1, AM1) . Like all zokes I've had, it has a very slight workbench stiction... the kind I find unnoticeable anywhere but in the shop. Otherwise the damping is superb and consistent, the fork is stiff and has a real bring-it-on attitude and never feels like it's being overtaxed. Great bottom-out protection and the compression damper is very effective in dialing out brake-dive especially in cornering. Mee likey very much.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Xtremely Moderate
    If you tend to have long relationships with forks and like to get it to feel just so, this is the tool for the RFX.........
    Yep, it definately lacked instant gratification............and so does my Boxxer.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Yep, it definately lacked instant gratification............and so does my Boxxer.
    What's wrong with the Ride??

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks everybody. I was afraid with a so high a/c length it would screw up handling. I know it can be adjusted as low as 140mm but the big deal was "why order such travel fork if I would not use all of it" I asked myself. Since it's air weight is not a big deal, just a few ounces more than lyriks. Besides ATA I can play with sag as Tcheezy stated.

No, that's not phonetic
    All of us are talking about the pre-ATA 06 models. The 07 ATA does not have an independant negative spring, and is 140-180mm of travel (via ATA). We don't know for sure yet what it is like for sure (I rode one at Interbike but not long enough to say for sure how it performs- read Knolly's blurb on the shocks board). The ATA version has also gained a little weight over the 06. The 06 was 5.6# with axle, the 07 is closer to 5.8#. Not a big diff. The travel adjustment sure is easier on the 07, and Knolly says the performance is better (he cites less brake dive, but like with the DHX Air, I actually sort of like some wallow- ymmv).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I got it, 06 66 not 07. My first option was lyrik 2-step. It seems first batch has some problems as some users stated. Second option was 07 AM SL but it's not available yet, and kind of QR20 issues. Third option could be lyrik u-turn though some people say it bottoms out and some don't(as some Totems). And there is now the no option, at least at that moment, 66ATA. The 66 cons IMO are weight and a/c length if used at 180mm.

Xtremely Moderate
    What's wrong with the Ride??
    A little stiff and sticky very much like the 66SL I had. Small bump compliance and plushness is not nearly as good as a properly set up coil/oil Zoke.

To me it feels over-sprung even with the stock springs installed, which are rated for peeps 20 lbs. lighter than myself.

My criticisms of it are the same as anybody whos ridden oil Zokes for a long time and the 888 I recently sold has completely ruined my "squish" frame of reference. Man I loved that fork.

But, don't get me wrong, the Ride is actually a really nice fork for the dough as it kind of reminds me the Super T I used to have. The U-Turn is really nice too, but with the 540 AC, I think its perfect for the RFX at full travel.

Also, to be fair I'm sure I haven't given it enough break in time, especially since my rehab riding is on the ginger side of things.

Not to worry though, my squish fix is on the way as I bought the Albino Latino's 66 Light which is no doubt very much broken in.

I'm gonna keep both forks to tinker around with. Maybe after some more break in time and a rebuild the Ride will improve.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    it kind of reminds me the Super T I used to have.
    EIO, want to experience that again? I've got an '04 super T with firm springs AND an air-assist feature on it that's just taking up space in my garage. Make me an offer!

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    EIO, want to experience that again? I've got an '04 super T with firm springs AND an air-assist feature on it that's just taking up space in my garage. Make me an offer!
    Naw. Thanks anyway.
    I'm waiting for El C's 66 light to get here.

Members who have read this thread: 0