mtbr member

6 pack shock swap

Has anybody swapped out the 7.5x2" shock on a 6 pack with an 7.875x2.25 ? I know the BB would raise a bit just wondering if anybody has had any success doing this?

As I understand, the (and correct me if im wrong) RFX is the same frame but it uses the longer 7.875 shock

the reason i ask is im getting a 6 pack frame to build up but it has a DHX air on it and i have a coil 7.875 laying in the garage,,,would be nice not to have to buy a new shock and I could live with a touch higher BB

and on a side note any other 6 pack owners have any tips or tricks or good to know info

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't answer your questions other than suggesting that turners offset shock bushings might help you mount a longer i2i shock without impacting geometry as much as it would without them.

I assume that you picked up the frame recently from the Pinkbike classifieds? If so, it seems that you got a smoking deal for a frame that's in great condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes that is the frame I bought..just yesterday,it's an old frame but always liked the look of the old turners .I don't see the offset bushing listed for the 6 pack....may end up just selling mine and buying a new coil shock for it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

6 pack shock swap

Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    Yes that is the frame I bought..just yesterday,it's an old frame but always liked the look of the old turners .I don't see the offset bushing listed for the 6 pack....may end up just selling mine and buying a new coil shock for it
    The bushings don't fit the frame so much as the shock itself. If your DHX shock has the same size DU bushings as modern fox shocks (it should) then they will work. You'll want to offset the upper mount up and the lower mount down. Effectively increasing the the the distance between the non-offset bushing mounting points by 2x the offset distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you do go with the longer shock and offset bushings you might run into problems with the seat stay bridge contacting the seat tube. Using just one offset bushing might work. Just make sure to check before riding. The 08' and newer SixPack used different rockers and rear triangle there was some dimensional changes with the front triangle as well.