6 Pack Frameset - Purpose ?- Mtbr.com
    steep fast and loose :)

6 Pack Frameset - Purpose ?

it is simply unbeatable for AM trail riding, although a wee bit heavy. With the CCDB it's sublime, but really, what is the 6 packs purpose ? It's raison d'ertre ?

the Nicolai Helius AM is gunning for replacement of the 6 Pack. I'm am resistant to change, but need to know the 6 Pack's raison for being ?

In short, the Pack + CCDB is immense - imo , so far unbeatable........

Thoughts ?

Simon.

mtbr member
    May 2006

This is a tough one,

I think the new Nicolai Helius AM is just to die for.It's going to blow the FR sales right out of the water.Where was this bad boy a year ago when I really needed it.I just sold my Helius CC and was VERY VERY tempted to buy the AM BUT!! I will be ordering a Sultan on Monday.I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really really nervous about leting go of my SWEET camo CC AND passing on the new AM.But I just really think the big wheels rock and Turner seems to have the best frame to throw the big wheels on.I will be keeping EVERYONE posted on this TRUST ME..CF...

mtbr member

A purpose ?

I guess it's purpose is to give riders the best and most versatile bike ever.
    I got an air sprung 6 pack with two wheelsets. (Lite + Heavy)
    Covers everything I would ever ride.

Here's one from Friday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

mtbr member
    It looks ok, I bet it weighs the same as the new pack that's due in Spring.
    If you are finding your Six Pack a little chubby then the 07 should suit,get one while you can.
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    That's a great line (shoot the guy with the camera)
    Stay off the brakes

trail fairy
    Seriously I think people are over hyped and caried away by light 6inch bikes
    at the weight some of these rigs are and no disrespect but I could ride my Spot as hard no issues, 33-34lbs up that weight comes into its own a bit enhances stability and resposiveness at speed, light weight becomes a handful in itself, course this is trail dependant and lets face it most speeds are actually pretty low say compare to the open spaces of the road!

But I do question allot of the builds not just here but all accross the 5-6inch travel spectrum jmo and Im not alone but I think there's allot o confusion or people trying to mix stuff and end up changing bikes left right and center when they either had the right frame and wrong setup or vice versa, spending some real quality time on yer rig being fit or strong for the ride the frame was intended for helps alot.

If ya ride with XC types well suffer or ride the trails that suit you! I choose allot last year to ride with like minded people mainly cause they rode when they wanted to ride not on a certain day at a certain time, I just finished watching EASY Rider again dam reminds me why I ride or wanted to ride to get free of the BS for awhile and just let it go!

Fook yer cell phones watches and other crap, I loved it when it starts out in the desert off comes the Rolex and its thrown to the ground, I'd bunny hopped on it but that's another story

LR if ya got cash to burn then get a Nicolai, as to all the hype imo its a bike, is it better, I can't say Ive not ridden one, do you need it, will it do anything more than your RFX/Pack I doubt it, you still have to pedal it! Thats your call, if you want us to answer then go for it, theyre well made and executed by the looks athough there's some minor things for the $ I'd not be happy about, they can certainley custom things for you!

Sometimes change is a good thing, but ya know what sometimes nothing beats a good old friend, Ive ridden a few bikes later models not of recent times but with touted greatest linkages and yes they were nice, but were they better imo not, only reason I would change would be support for a mate, no way would I change to those brands for any other reason, and I can tell ya its not going to happen now or in the future, I think in some ways my turn has been a good thing, its clarified things for me.

Ive watched with interest over the last year or so some people and the changes theyve made accross a number of forums, I still don't see them out riding are they improving are they enjoying the riding the real riding or just being on something new and shiny, we all like new stuff Im no different! They still changing bikes though! For some thats a passion and thats cool too.

A few times Ive considered parting with my Spot and Im glad Ive not done that, both Spot and RFX for me are all I need some tweaking with components suspension and setup for how my riding has changed or developed is what works for me! Nothing newer is going to make me ride better! I would rather add something to the stable, than chase rainbows, ride harder, more variety of trails than the same old stuff, push yourself in other areas to expand!

So your call dude, youv'e had the bike for awhile now you should know where it fits there's plenty of info here as to what guys have used it for!
    You know where and how to save weight!, any bike requires smart choices and understanding of a setup that works for you!

Well thats my 2c
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    I am not 100% sure, but I believe the RFX/Six Pack was made for people that like riding.

We took both of ours down for a distance ride down the Elbe River today. Fun bikes. Get out and lay some miles down on yours.

ps- youdon't have as much game as your bike does.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by Saar G7
    I guess it's purpose is to give riders the best and most versatile bike ever.
    I got an air sprung 6 pack with two wheelsets. (Lite + Heavy)
    Covers everything I would ever ride.

Here's one from Friday
    new ktalav trail?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    33-34lbs up that weight comes into its own a bit enhances stability and resposiveness at speed, light weight becomes a handful in itself
    Agreed.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Agreed.
    chur..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member

Not a new one

It's the old trail going straight down to Dar- A - Sheik.
    Spent some time on tuesday "gardening" as it has not been ridden for a while.
    One of the steepest I have ever been to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

FM
    mtbr member
    Here's one from Friday
    very nice

steep fast and loose :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

ps- youdon't have as much game as your bike does.

perhaps not, but opportunity presents itself in strange ways, and my Dealer has no longer a Turner dealership, but does have Nicolai.
    I'm still stoked everytime I ride the 6 Pack however, so perhaps a powdercoat and some new bushings will suffice ?

i can't type the letter s
    It's the old trail going straight down to Dar- A - Sheik.
    Spent some time on tuesday "gardening" as it has not been ridden for a while.
    One of the steepest I have ever been to.
    I love it when pictures comes close to convey the tech of a line. That lip in the middle of the drop looks heinous. Nice riding!

I like your analysis TA.

The purpose of the Pack? I think purpose lies on the aggressive side of the tag "AM / FR" as opposed to the "Trail / AM" continuum, going left to right -----Trail-----AM-------FR------->
    Regular steeps (I wouldn't mind a slacker HA), drops, and fast descents with climbing for 20 mile days, not epic days but good enough that I'm not a total slacker.

Build Accordingly, but whadaiknow?

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    perhaps not, but opportunity presents itself in strange ways, and my Dealer has no longer a Turner dealership, but does have Nicolai.
    It seems likely your dealer will have a Nic demo - see if you can take one out for a spin. It can be fun just to go for the change and if it blows you away, then it's time for a tough decision...

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    I'm still stoked everytime I ride the 6 Pack however, so perhaps a powdercoat and some new bushings will suffice ?
    So I see on the Nicolai forum, a helius AM w/ coil shock runs 8.8lbs. Not any lighter than your turner, same amount of travel.

If you're just feeling the itch for some new bike love, fresh paint and some maintenance would certainly be more cost-effective. I can't see how the nicolai would be significantly better, just a different approach to making an ~8lb 6" AM frame.

Wicketed
    In short, the Pack + CCDB is immense - imo , so far unbeatable........

Thoughts ?
    TLR - in short, your Packs raison d'etre is that you clearly love it

You want a reason not to change it? - future regret!

I learnt from experience that Pack are for keeps. I traded my Pack in about a year back. I missed it really bad, and didn't think twice when the opportunity came to buy it back. A CCDB later, and I'm totally happy again...
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I got bored of trying to make my Pack lighter for riding around the N Downs. Instead, I made my Spot burlier (Push rockers, Z1 Light forks), and my Pack burlier too (Lyric Coils, Hope V2's, flats). As a result, the Spot is great fun around the relatively flat Surrey Hills, whilst the Pack works for Lakes / Scotland!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I guess I just dont see the point. For an agressive rider the pack in one of its MANY itterations makes a just-about-unbeatable HD trial to light FR bike (everything under DH for me). The Nickolai is nice but there is nothing particularly 'special' or 'different' about it other than there is no support in the USA, and it costs about twice what a pack does.....(I am not a fan of the high shock position but it is not a big deal).

If you have a hankering for something just 'different' there are a 100 different ways to put the pack together to get differing geo and travel. If you are hankering to just simply spend some $$....do something much more worthwhile and go take your pack and go ride it somewhere truely special....go to whistler for a week (and rent a real DH bike while you are there). You will get MUCH more out of this than simply buying a new (and essentially the same by functionality) frame that you will be 'bored' of again soon.....

I have to say, anytime I see a post like the "lots of incorrectly capitalized explitives" post above always, it makes me think there is something really wrong that is being covered up...the classic last ditch pitch to save the ship.....combined with Nigerian spam mail...
    I would never buy a product that anyone was so artifically over-amped on......but maybe that is just me.

banned
    The Nic is nice, but it's a lateral move. You may really like it, you may prove the pack was better for you, but in the end, two frames, same purpose, different interpretation. When it all boils down to it, you're not getting a whole lot more.

If you really want to try something different for little cash, get some 5.5 rockers. Maybe even try to get a Spot seatstay to try out, or a new 5.5 Spot rear end to go along with the 5.5's. You have a whole world of options in travel, leverage, weight, and geometry available to you.

No way would I want to get rid of mine under any circumstances. There are lots of nice and nicer frames out there, but none offer enough to make me move from this one because it's a superb balance between going light, should I want, and going heavy for those planned multi-hour descents at warp speed in the Alps.

And yes, it's climbable. You should see my gf toast lycra-wearing XC weenies on hers pointing up. I'm not a great climber myself, partially being out of shape and partially having the 32t only up front. But I never blame it on the bike. I blame it on myself and work harder. We both have one bike for everything, from XC to descents and rocks.

Should either of ours ever break, I'll bug Turner to give up the name of his welder so we can have them repaired.

banned
    So we did a fun ALL MOUNTAIN ride with some friends on Banshees. Compared to most, our 582m of cumulative altitude isn't much, but from what I'm used to, it was a chore. The payoff was the ability to climb to incremental downhill sections that were rocky and rooted winding singletrack and some pretty decent speeds, only to climb back up another section, do it again, or come back down another section and haul ass.

Today showed me more than ever how one should just ride their stupid bike with their bling bling Ferrari parts that makes a good bike better. There are people around with more money than brains that don't have enough game for the bikes they ride, so they have to try and solve the problem by blaming the bike. Next step is getting others to assist them in their quest to get something that allows them to do such things as ride their bike up a hill or go down. Real different.

Members who have read this thread: 0