6 Pack. First ride impressions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

6 Pack. First ride impressions

I luuurve it!!

My previous trail bikes have both been GT I-Drives ('04 ID 1.0 & '05 ID5 1.0) and I have also spent a day on a Jamis Dakar XLT. I think the ID5 was a big improvement on the '04 model and the Jamis was somewhere in between the two, in terms of ride quality, but none of them come close to the Pack in any way shape or form. Climbing, descending, tight technical terrain, the Pack just eats them.

To put the ride quality into perspective from my point of view, all of the above bikes were ridden with Pike coils up front, and in all cases the Pikes were the plushest part of the ride (meaning that the predominant feed-back was from the rear, kicking back off hits and loosing traction) Now....on the Pack, the situation is reversed. The rear is seemless through its travel, no pedal feed-back, unbelievable traction and bottomless on the same jumps, drops and step-downs. I can now feel the limitations of the Pikes, not saying they don't suit me on the Pack, just that they are now the predominant input.

We climbed one long section of steep rutted fire road on my first ride that previously I've had to stop and push up the last section. I now understand why you homers often say that Turners are natural climbers. It's hard to comprehend the difference in rear wheel traction between bikes.
    My build has ended up tipping the scales at 35 lbs with the addition of a bash guard and Maxxis Highroller 1 plys. So about 2 lb heavier than the GT's but still a better climber!

A few magazine reviews (singletrack & MBR) have mentioned the Pack is too heavy for use as a general alround trail rig, I couldn't disagree more. I think it's all relative, sure if you've come off a sub 30 lb XC rig, it's going to feel heavy, but if you're used to a 32-33 lb'er, you're not going to notice the extra beef. (until you start to go down, then you'll love it!)
    Descents are amazing. My first ride was a bit tentative, feeling it out and treading lightly on the light Tioga tyres I had on it to start with. But on my second ride with the high rollers I could hit and clear rock garden sections with a similar feel to my DH bike. The rear end truly deservers the term "Plush" to be used to describe it, my feet felt unmoved on the pedals.

Initially, I had a few chainline and chain suck issues (thanks to everyone who chimed in with help) but that has been sorted by going to a dual ring setup and putting the 2.5mm spacer for the external BB on the drive side. One thing I have noticed is it's not the quietest ride, lots of chain slap noise from the FD being so close...but I can live with that I would advise new Pack owners to check and position their FD carefully to allow clearence at full travel.

My shock setup is:
    Standard spring 500 lb (3.5 turns pre-load = 30% sag)
    Weight (with gear): 168 lb
    BV: 100 PSI
    B.Out: Full open
    PP: Minimum for descents, 7 click in for climbs
    Rebound: (not sure how many clicks, but reasonably fast)

My Pikes have just started to develope creaks in the stantion/crown joint, so I can feel some UGI coming on!

BTW, would love to score a Homer jersey if anyone has one left over or are doing another run??

cheers
    leight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leight; 10-30-2005 at 03:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good stuff to hear. I know I need to move from the 5 Spot towards the 6 Pack, but have really been resisting because of climbing, etc. concerns. You make it sound like it will work out fine.

Regarding the derailer slap, I've had good luck with the form-fitting rubber bumpers that Specialized equips their mechs with. Any Spec shop will get you one for a buck or two. It doesn't totally silence things, but makes a huge difference.

Updates as you ride more, please!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Good stuff to hear. I know I need to move from the 5 Spot towards the 6 Pack, but have really been resisting because of climbing, etc. concerns. You make it sound like it will work out fine.

Regarding the derailer slap, I've had good luck with the form-fitting rubber bumpers that Specialized equips their mechs with. Any Spec shop will get you one for a buck or two. It doesn't totally silence things, but makes a huge difference.

Updates as you ride more, please!
    Good one kosmo, thanks for the FD info... (edit: Its actually the front Dr thats making the noise, you might have thought I was talking about rear Dr.)

will post some action picks asap, weather has been terrible here in Aus this spring, can't bring myself to wreck the new driveline when we're just about into summer.

have never ridden a spot,(actually had one on order but changed up to the Pack) but going on how well the Pack climbs, they must be awesome!
    If your rides are mainly about bombing the downhill tho, the Pack is fantastic!
    Last edited by Leight; 10-30-2005 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Further to my comments on the feel of the Pikes, Squeeky has suggested I may have too much oil in the fork (after servicing recently), which I guess could account for a harsher compression stroke and bottom out earlier.
    So, I'll remove a couple of ml's of oil and re-test soon.

Weighed the bike today on Topeak shop scales and it's only 34.5 lb's.....
    (Climbs like its 32lb tho!)

... I guess you won't be
    it's amazing how a fork can go from being the plush'est most best working part on a bike, to suddenly becoming a limiting factor after being put on a real bike.....gotta like that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    after being put on a real bike.....gotta like that!

Yeah, I do gotta like that.. (I was delusional when I thought the GT's were real bikes...LoL)

Think maybe I've come across as saying the Pikes feel Realy bad. Not that at all, just that I notice them now.
    I've never been good at describing the feel of a ride (kind of like tasting wine) it's good, bad or in-between.....I don't taste black berry, cinamon or licorice......or feel every twitch, flex or squat...
    But, the Pack is making me more aware of the kinds of inputs that used to be there on the other bikes and aren't anymore. Does that make any sense? probably not..

Members who have read this thread: 0