Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    523

    6-pack alternatives...

    If you had a friend who couldn't afford a 6-pack build, what other freeride bikes would you recommend? I'm looking at the Trek Session, Iron Horse 7 Point 7, Specialized SX Trail for him.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Turtle 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,143
    Used RFX /Azonic Saber
    turtle
    Last edited by Turtle 1; 02-01-2006 at 09:26 AM.

  3. #3
    Just another FOCer
    Reputation: Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,371
    Iron Horse 7Point7 is an excellent bike. (Pedals great, stable coming down.)

    The Kona Coiler (or Coil-air) is a lighter alternative:
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

    NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

  4. #4
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,313
    Doubledown just went from a 6-Pack to a Specy SX trail and likes it better. It is lower slung, I think. Also look at a Giant Reign. We were all pretty impressed with that one at IBike.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,875

    6 pack altern.

    saber-definately. almost identical geometry-new @ wheel world for $700. beat that.

  6. #6
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    saber-definately. almost identical geometry-new @ wheel world for $700. beat that.
    I'd steer clear of the Saber. There are better quality frames for the same $$ out there. My friend cracked his 2004 19"saber in less than 6 weeks with normal trail riding! The classifieds are loaded with classic RFX and 6 Packs too!

    Cambria Bikes is closing out the Ventana El Chamuco for $899 with an additional 10% off right now.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 02-01-2006 at 10:07 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

  7. #7
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,531
    Ditto on the Saber. although some folks have complained about cracking 2003 frames and problems with the seatstay pivot brace hitting the seat tube in the 6" mode on the 17" frames. If you get a 2004 frame in 19" size neither of these issues is a problem. Very fun bike and the price is tough to beat.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  8. #8
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,235
    I haven't owned a 6P, but I have owned a 6" travel Afterburner. FWIW so far I've been really impressed with my Reign. But it is more extreme trail/light free ride than the bikes you've listed. I say this because you're very limited in what shocks will fit inside the basket. Coils are out, so is anything with an attached reservoir. It's a shame, as the bike feels very solid, like it could take a lot more if you had some bottom out adjustment. Still for its intended application it's an excellent ride that pedals and suspends very, very well.

    BTW it's not warranted for DC forks. That Super T is just on there as I wanted to test the bike with a 555 a/c fork. According to Giant a 6" single crown fork is the max for that frame.

    [edit] I should add that performace is/were blowing these things out pretty cheap. I sold most of the parts of mine so the frame came in at under $500. The compete Reign 3 was $920.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve71; 02-01-2006 at 10:28 AM.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  9. #9
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    523
    Thanks for all your quick replies. Sounds like there are some really good deals out there. I didn't know you could buy Giant online. (Edit: you meant at the store.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    I haven't owned a 6P, but I have owned a 6" travel Afterburner. FWIW so far I've been really impressed with my Reign. But it is more extreme trail/light free ride than the bikes you've listed. I say this because you're very limited in what shocks will fit inside the basket. Coils are out, so is anything with an attached reservoir. It's a shame, as the bike feels very solid, like it could take a lot more if you had some bottom out adjustment. Still for its intended application it's an excellent ride that pedals and suspends very, very well.

    BTW it's not warranted for DC forks. That Super T is just on there as I wanted to test the bike with a 555 a/c fork. According to Giant a 6" single crown fork is the max for that frame.

    [edit] I should add that performace is/were blowing these things out pretty cheap. I sold most of the parts of mine so the frame came in at under $500. The compete Reign 3 was $920.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  10. #10
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Another option. Harvey Cycles
    Nothing to see here.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: gonzostrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,257
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    If you had a friend who couldn't afford a 6-pack build, what other freeride bikes would you recommend? I'm looking at the Trek Session, Iron Horse 7 Point 7, Specialized SX Trail for him.
    1) what kinds of riding will he do? to some people "Freeride" means doing big huck, big air slopestyle tricks like Darren Berrecloth and Paul Basagioitia do. to others it means North Shore trails that are steep and extremely technical and include steep rolldowns, drops/gaps with high consequences, and perhaps some wooden stunts. to others it means highly technical DH descending trails but not racing them on a DH race bike. some will climb always, some will climb occasionally, some will only shuttle. what's your friend going to do?

    2) how are the Session, 7 Point or SX Trail going to be cheaper than a 6-Pack? just because some of the gomers in here won't put anything less than High Zoot Chi Chi parts on their trophy bikes doesn't mean you have to spend $5000 on a Six Pack. last time I checked the Session and SX Trail were about as expensive as my own Six Pack was.

    3) add Transition bikes and the Banshee Chapparal to your list.

    4) why no SC Nomad? or Bullit? or VP-Free? or Blur LT? or Heckler? or Orange Patriot? or Cannondale Crackandfail?

    5) call Scott, Kris and the rest of the guys at Go-Ride and see what they can do for you. they carry a number of good frame mfrs and have good pricing.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    679

    I second Transition

    They make really well thought out stuff thats built to be beat on. The Grand Maul looks really nice. Very cool design and economically priced. Plus those guys rip to. Not so big on Banshee, they are really overbuilt and and not really suitable for anyone NOT riding in BC and the like. Throwing metal at the problem doesnt always make a bike tougher.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    68
    SSINGA
    The classifieds are loaded with classic RFX and 6 Packs too!
    @SSINGA: I am looking for a used 6Pack, how much would you figure would be a fair price on a one year old ("not too abused" till "as new") Pack?
    Thanks

  14. #14
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by SlayMe
    SSINGA
    @SSINGA: I am looking for a used 6Pack, how much would you figure would be a fair price on a one year old ("not too abused" till "as new") Pack?
    Thanks
    just guessing but I would imagine that 1200-1500 would be fair depending on the shock and how close to new it is.
    Nothing to see here.

  15. #15
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    4) why no SC Nomad? or Bullit? or VP-Free? or Blur LT? or Heckler? or Orange Patriot? or Cannondale Crackandfail?
    I think most of those are too pricey.

    And I agree, its hard to tell what "Freeride" means w/o details.
    - -benja- -

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    679

    some

    Bullits and Hecklers can be had pretty cheap these days and they are really tough bikes. I would still choose a transition though.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    just guessing but I would imagine that 1200-1500 would be fair depending on the shock and how close to new it is.
    But that would be the frame only, or a completly equipped bike?

  18. #18
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    523
    1) He likes to jump, launch off stuff and go really fast. He has a bmx background so he jumps like no tomorrow. Throw in some urban too. But it will be his everyday bike so it has to be able to pedal well and not be too heavy. For reference my 6-pack is around 35lbs and I think that's the limit. He's only 165lbs tops and very smooth rider so he can get by with a lighter build. I'd like to be able to go to the mtns and hit the difficult trails with him. My other friend just went the other way and bought a cross bike. Well he can just stand there and take pictures.

    2) The IH 7 pt 3 is $2400. My friend recently got a SX Trail on ebay for $1300 off retail but the thing weighs 40lbs. I'll keep looking for a used small 6-pack frame but I think with everything else he needs it's going to be over $3000 to build.

    3) A friend has a Transition Preston and it's pretty cool - heavy though. I haven't ridden any other models.

    4) No local dealer. I don't know anyone who rides an SC who hasn't had pivot trouble - from creaks to worn out pivots. He's had similar problems with the Trek Liquid (his current ride), but at least he can bring the bike to the shop to get fixed under warranty.

    5) Thanks for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    1) what kinds of riding will he do? to some people "Freeride" means doing big huck, big air slopestyle tricks like Darren Berrecloth and Paul Basagioitia do. to others it means North Shore trails that are steep and extremely technical and include steep rolldowns, drops/gaps with high consequences, and perhaps some wooden stunts. to others it means highly technical DH descending trails but not racing them on a DH race bike. some will climb always, some will climb occasionally, some will only shuttle. what's your friend going to do?

    2) how are the Session, 7 Point or SX Trail going to be cheaper than a 6-Pack? just because some of the gomers in here won't put anything less than High Zoot Chi Chi parts on their trophy bikes doesn't mean you have to spend $5000 on a Six Pack. last time I checked the Session and SX Trail were about as expensive as my own Six Pack was.

    3) add Transition bikes and the Banshee Chapparal to your list.

    4) why no SC Nomad? or Bullit? or VP-Free? or Blur LT? or Heckler? or Orange Patriot? or Cannondale Crackandfail?

    5) call Scott, Kris and the rest of the guys at Go-Ride and see what they can do for you. they carry a number of good frame mfrs and have good pricing.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  19. #19
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    Thanks for all your quick replies. Sounds like there are some really good deals out there. I didn't know you could buy Giant online. (Edit: you meant at the store.)
    Yeah that was an in store deal. At some point an etailer was selling the frame only for $500, but I don't remember the details - it might have been a while ago, so who knows. A search might bring something up.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    679

    02 Rfx

    That is the bike hes looking for. Does all that in spades. Dentproof and has 5 in rockers for pure dirt jumping days.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mike67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    178
    Have your friend take a look at my mtbr classified ad
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

    Don't know what size your friend is looking for, but this may do the trick.
    I may even be persuaded to through in 5" rocker plates for the right deal.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    679

    That could be the bike

    Since hes concerned about weight. The 01's are a little lighter.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: jaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Another option. Harvey Cycles
    those look really cool. have you ridden any?

  24. #24
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    The trek session 7s are suprisingly nice rides. I almost got one. Pretty cheap too.

    I like the sx trail geo a little better though.

  25. #25
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,421
    I am a little surpised at the Giant Reign suggestion- It's a great bike, I rode a friends, I honestly found it to be very much on the XC end of the spectrum compared to an RFX. More comparable to a 5-spot or yeti 575 imho.

    I have sevaral friends who own Azonic sabers. Good bike, but not as similar to the RFX as numbers alone would lead you to believe. The frames are lighter than the '02 RFX, similar in weight to the newer 6-pack. One friend has broken his a few times but it's still going strong. Seems to bend/break shock bolts failry easy due to the design.

    Hands down, my pick would be the '02 RFX, if you mainly do free-ride I think it is preferrable to the newer 05/06 RFX-packs due to it's beefier tubing, thicker headtube, lower standover, 5/6" rocker options and great prices. The head angle is actually 1d steeper, which works well with a 7" fork. It's just more of a true FR bike than teh newer versions, which are more trail/all mountain friendly. Just depends on your use.

    Second choice would be a kona stinky or coiler. I have many friends who own Kona's, I've seen these bikes ridden all over BC and Wa., ebXtreme's ridden pretty much everything at whistler on his (big clown shoes drop, air supply on Mt.Fromme, etc), these bikes are cheap, sturdy, well designed, and versatile. With a 5" fork and light parts, very XC friendly. Or can handle a 7" fork and 2.5's with tubing to back it up for FR use. Hard to justify anything else imho. No horst link but better design and more durable than the saber.

    Specy enduro's look great too, if you're shopping for a full bike.

    just my .02 based on my friends bikes..
    Last edited by FM; 02-01-2006 at 04:41 PM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biker75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    491

    Looked @ KHS?

    They have a new bike, AM 1000, that looks alot like a RFX. I saw it the other day flipping thru a mag, and was like 'chiiiate'-Turner rip off! It is even the same gray color w/ the outline lettering like Turner, and a TNT type suspension. But fully equipped bike is pretty damn affordable-has Shim Hone stuff too.
    John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

  27. #27
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,947

    Kona stinky

    hey who knows..

  28. #28
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,421
    $899 at wheelworld with a DHX shock



    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    hey who knows..

  29. #29
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The trek session 7s are suprisingly nice rides. I almost got one. Pretty cheap too.

    I like the sx trail geo a little better though.
    What he said..

    but the 7point7 is also a killer bike! so don't discard that one..
    Last edited by Acadian; 02-01-2006 at 05:37 PM.

  30. #30
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,784
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    $899 at wheelworld with a DHX shock

    Probably the best suggestion yet. I'd stay away from the saber, flexy, just not anywhere near as good as the 6pack. The stinky is proven and a good alternative.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,285
    [QUOTE=sirbikesalot]1) He likes to jump, launch off stuff and go really fast. He has a bmx background so he jumps like no tomorrow. Throw in some urban too. But it will be his everyday bike so it has to be able to pedal well and not be too heavy. For reference my 6-pack is around 35lbs and I think that's the limit. He's only 165lbs tops and very smooth rider so he can get by with a lighter build. I'd like to be able to go to the mtns and hit the difficult trails with him. My other friend just went the other way and bought a cross bike. Well he can just stand there and take pictures.

    2) The IH 7 pt 3 is $2400. My friend recently got a SX Trail on ebay for $1300 off retail but the thing weighs 40lbs. I'll keep looking for a used small 6-pack frame but I think with everything else he needs it's going to be over $3000 to build.


    How about a band new small 6.6 frame thats selling now, cheap!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  32. #32
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    I have an 01 quasi-moto frame for sale. It's 7.25lbs with a coil shock. Size is small. 22.5tt. It's a great bike for people that haven't fully commited to dealing with the weight of an RFX but want a bike that rides pretty similar. I bought a rfx to replace it since I wanted to start doing much bigger drops and wanted to run a lot longer fork. Here's a pic of the bike built up. The frame is now sitting in my spare bedroom waiting for a new home. PM me if you are interested and we can talk price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Someone mentioned the Stinky. Dont get a Stinky. Those things are 99% freeride specific and don't climb worth beans. Freeride, yes, All Mountain? No way. Get a Kona Coilair if you want to climb. It is lighter than a Stinky and a much more capable trail bike.

    Santa Cruz Heckler: 5.6" of travel. Can do anything. Trail riding, freeriding, djs, urban. No problem.
    Santa Cruz Bullit: More freeride oriented than the Heckler, but can be a good hd/freeride bike.
    Transition Preston: Bomb proof and is a good climber. Very versatile.
    Ellsworth Joker: Good hd and light freeride rig. CHEAP right now. 699.00 on line.
    Cannondale Gemini: In the same class as the Bullit. Light, good for freeriding, and it can climb.
    Azonic Sabre: Very Cheap right now. 700.00 at wheel world. I like.
    Versus Blitz. Do everything hd rig. Cheap.
    Ventana El Chamuco. $899.00 at Cambria right now. Stiff hd trail rig. Stupid cheap for how nice it is.
    Last edited by ronny; 02-03-2006 at 06:29 AM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Stuff...
    ...lots of other bikes...
    Ventana El Chamuco. $899.00 at Cambria right now. Stiff hd trail rig. Stupid cheap for how nice it is.
    This is probably the best suggestion yet. Bravo.

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation: gonzostrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,257
    here's one I forgot about... Avent Boost

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride...t_124919.shtml

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pecka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Someone mentioned the Stinky. Dont get a Stinky. Those things are 99% freeride specific and don't climb worth beans. Freeride, yes, All Mountain? No way. Get a Kona Coilair if you want to climb. It is lighter than a Stinky and a much more capable trail bike.

    Santa Cruz Heckler: 5.6" of travel. Can do anything. Trail riding, freeriding, djs, urban. No problem.
    Santa Cruz Bullit: More freeride oriented than the Heckler, but can be a good hd/freeride bike.
    Transition Preston: Bomb proof and is a good climber. Very versatile.
    Ellsworth Joker: Good hd and light freeride rig. CHEAP right now. 699.00 on line.
    Cannondale Gemini: In the same class as the Bullit. Light, good for freeriding, and it can climb.
    Azonic Sabre: Very Cheap right now. 700.00 at wheel world. I like.
    Versus Blitz. Do everything hd rig. Cheap.
    Ventana El Chamuco. $899.00 at Cambria right now. Stiff hd trail rig. Stupid cheap for how nice it is.
    Cannondale Prophet MX - lighter then Gemini, build burlier than Prophet - more gussets, 12mm through axle. Don't know if you can get just the frame though

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.