5Spot Fox rp23 issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

5Spot Fox rp23 issue

Hy guys,
    I have just assembled my 2010 5spot and this morning I did my first 3h ride near my home in Switzerland, Iím very impressed, and compare the Mojo I rode so far itís definitely a step beyond, stiffer , more agile and the DW has made a big improvement , very sensitive to small bumps (even if has still to bake-in) and no need propedal also if you push hard.
    However I find (compare the Mojo) that was very difficult to feel the pro pedal action when was engaged, even if go from position off to pro-pedal3 . On the Mojo I could feel the action of the platform very clearly also going from position 1 to 2 or 3.
    Ií ask to you guys if this is normal (depends maybe on Turener custom tuned shox) or my Fox rp23 got a problem?

gnuH
    There is very little difference between PP settings on my 2010 RP23, although it is a BV version.

As you stated in your post, you don't need PP so I wouldn't worry about it. I think the low compression tune of the DW bikes lightens the PP also. Did your Mojo need PP?
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

Pivoteer
    Since Turner specs a low compression tune (a good thing), the PP settings are minimal. You will notice very little change between the settings. I only notice a slight difference between off and PP3 (stiffest setting) on mine.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Since Turner specs a low compression tune (a good thing), the PP settings are minimal. You will notice very little change between the settings. I only notice a slight difference between off and PP3 (stiffest setting) on mine.
    Uh oh, did someone get a DW Spot????

On topic, mine is similar as well. You can hardly tell a difference in the PP settings. It would be nice if their were more propedal in some instances, such as a pump track where suspension is not your friend, but its really not a big deal for me.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Uh oh, did someone get a DW Spot????
    Ummm...Nope!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Knomerville?? Wonder what that means?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    There is very little difference between PP settings on my 2010 RP23, although it is a BV version.

As you stated in your post, you don't need PP so I wouldn't worry about it. I think the low compression tune of the DW bikes lightens the PP also. Did your Mojo need PP?
    Te DW suspension is reacting differently on the Mojo , in some occasions I needed to turn PP on, especially on very steep technical hills PP position 1 to help the front to stay in contact with the ground (but at a price of losing a bit of traction) or when pumping hard on tarmac. Certainly the 5Spot is more stable I think DW really find a magic compromise on finding the right pivot positions.
    But , ok on the Turner DW is much less not needed at all, but ,while is there (on RP23Ö)it would be nice that the platform threshold could be more effective and progressive (like on the Mojo) from pos 1 to 3 where Ií expecting a ďhard tail feelingĒ.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Thanks, thatís is nice to ear, so now I know that is a normal issue and mine shock doesnít have any problem. Even if I donít fully understand the reason why (while the PP is there) that is so little effective.
    I show the first picture of my 5 spot , I think I achieved a good result with 27,5lb as it is shown for an L size with 2.4 tyres.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5Spot Fox rp23 issue-5spot.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After building mine up recently I took it for its first "proper" ride yesterday.

Wow, flipping great to ride.My 2 previous bikes had been a FS scott strike pro (4" fs carbon single pivot with lockout and steep head angle) and an On one ti456 (slack angled titanium 140mm travel hardtail). I thought I'd miss the slack head angle and whilst I might on some silly steep stuff (not yet ridden), the dw spot felt more alive and responsive on the singletrack even though its appreciably heavier whilst never feeling as nervous as the Scott used to. I think Turner has the label for this bike spot on - I was concerned it would feel too much of a burly All mountain ride, but it really is a tough trail bike first and foremost. When I nearly lost it on a tight zig zagging bermed descent as both wheel started to drift and a puff of dust was brought up by my elbow as it dragged the surface, I realised how fast I was moving and I had made the right choice!

Regarding the DW suspension with a rp23 - I was pleased how little excessive movement I could see or feel whilst hard, rooty little ring climbing. Compared to the ti456 hardtail I had so much more traction as the suspension took care of the square edged big roots; cleaning stuff I had not been able to previously as the hardtail stalled and lost grip on the obstacles. The old Scott used to either be a bobbing single pivot or locked out and tractionless - I way prefer what I have now.

Propedal - I could feel and see the difference it made, but it was not night and day. I found I was turning it on for longer technical but not mega difficult climbs just to stiffen it up a touch but leaving it off for short really hard "touch and go" technical climbing where traction rather than efficiency was the key priority. Is this how others us it? Having said that, I forgot & I left it on for a tricky flinty, rooty decent and it still felt good. With more miles to bed it in I guess it will feel even better.

The only thing that I find slightly weird is that the 5 spot seems to go through its mid range travel very easily. After some very gently riding the o ring is 3/5ths of the way through its travel. The pressures much be about right as the ring tells me I didn't quite use all the travel by the end of the ride so its not that I need more pressure in the can. The test bike I rode did this too to the extend I checked the pressure twice to see if it was leaking.

o/t edit - remote adjustable seatposts - brilliant! Seemingly the perfect accompaniment to this bike so why no cable mounts like the SC blur? Maybe the 2010 has them....
    Last edited by Ben S; 05-02-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0