Bad Case of the Mondays

5Spot coil option?

Is there no longer an option to buy the 5Spot frame with a coil? Do you just have to buy it then sell the RP23 and pick up a coil?

ride
    Correct. Mostly because DW and DT are particular that the bike was designed around that shock. If you want a coil, most dealers should be happy to make the switch before it gets in your hands, though.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Coil fit

Iggy is right, the bike was designed around the RP23 so most reservoirs will hit the down tube when the suspension compresses. PUSH makes a shock as well as Avalanche that works great though, as they have shorter resys than stock stuff.

DT

Wicketed
    i think the CCDB fits medium and larger spots too, but at those prices you'd want to check before handing over the sheckles.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

what's that rattle?

Size Specific?

Is the reservoir contact problem more of a issue with the smaller frames? People have used the DHX Air, RC4, CCDB and MX Tune shocks on their Spots, presumably without frame contact. I'm unsure of the frame sizes for each of these applications, though.

Heavier riders are using DGC and Push mods on the '09 HV RP23 to control bottom out, and from all reports the Propedal feature isn't needed for seated pedaling. Sounds like an ideal situation for a coil shock! Is the MX Tune officially the best option in terms of fit and performance? Do any stock shocks come close?

mtbr member
    Got mine with a DHX4 on a medium frame. Works a treat and doesn't hit the frame.

In fact, heres a piccy.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    That is a great looking bike. I've got a Large lined up for a demo ride when the trails get dried off. Is that a ti coil on yours? Where did you get it?

mtbr member
    Got the Ti spring from a mates bike shop who offered me a deal I couldn't say no too

Members who have read this thread: 0