mtbr member
    Nov 2005

5 spot vs flux vs Blur Lt

I just demo'd a flux, and was really impressed with the pedaling uphill and on the flats. I never lost traction, could use higher gears than my hardtail and could even stand up and pedal. Downhill, the bike was smooth as butter, but didn't have that floaty feeling I was expecting. How does the 5 spot compare to the flux pedaling wise, and if anyone
    knows for sure, how would the spot compare to the Blur LT. I can't try a blur anywhere near here, and the only 5 spot is a medium, too small, so I have to judge based on the flux. I really couldn't believe how good the bike pedaled. It was better than a hardtail, in my opinion. I've lusted after a 5 spot for over a year now, and want to make the right choice. The reviews on the Blur LT are awesome also, so any first hand comparison is great. Thanks for helping on my first post. I searched a lot, and have been lurking over a year here, just looking for that last bit of reassurance. I ride mostly shorter rides, less than 4 hours and mostly 2, like to climb for good downhill runs and love speed. I'm looking for the fat shaped ski of mountain bikes, you know the one that is good any day you take it out, but really comes alive when you challenge it! thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jakey
    I just demo'd a flux, and was really impressed with the pedaling uphill and on the flats. I never lost traction, could use higher gears than my hardtail and could even stand up and pedal. Downhill, the bike was smooth as butter, but didn't have that floaty feeling I was expecting. How does the 5 spot compare to the flux pedaling wise, and if anyone
    knows for sure, how would the spot compare to the Blur LT. I can't try a blur anywhere near here, and the only 5 spot is a medium, too small, so I have to judge based on the flux. I really couldn't believe how good the bike pedaled. It was better than a hardtail, in my opinion. I've lusted after a 5 spot for over a year now, and want to make the right choice. The reviews on the Blur LT are awesome also, so any first hand comparison is great. Thanks for helping on my first post. I searched a lot, and have been lurking over a year here, just looking for that last bit of reassurance. I ride mostly shorter rides, less than 4 hours and mostly 2, like to climb for good downhill runs and love speed. I'm looking for the fat shaped ski of mountain bikes, you know the one that is good any day you take it out, but really comes alive when you challenge it! thanks.
    I had the same issue, but was after a flux, couldn't get a demo, but did demo a 5 spot, and it was so good I bought that. So good in fact that I bought the wife one as well last week. I really can't see a blur beating it, although davide, who is an absolute expert and a god among bikers, will say otherwise. There's a reason that the turner forum has more posts than any other, it's cos DT makes the best bikes, by far...

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jacky
    one that is good any day you take it out, but really comes alive when you challenge it! thanks.<!-- / message -->
    That pretty much nails it. The Spot is a very versatile bike. It rides the rough and tough extremely well and can be spec'd as an all day trailbike quite easily. Just use a sensible parts spec and it can overlap both the XC and the hardcore Trail riding.

You can spec it with an air shock like the RP3 for a firm snappy racer feeling, or a coil shock like the DHX for a plush rugged bring it on feeeling (or the DHX-A for something that I have read can be tuned either way) You can bolt on a set of light wheels and tires to keep it quick and nimble, or a strong set of wheels and fat rubbers for all day bang and play.
    Or something in-between to get the best of both ends.

I have no info on the Blur, but I would imagine many true trail bikes have versatility built in.

What CC said about CS below is no small matter. Peace of mind and user support can't be easily priced.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-22-2005 at 06:18 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    word! and i hear the c.s. after the sale is ok too. rumor? i say no. sometimes its more than the bike, not that ya really need another reason, but it dont hurt much now do it folks?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I own a 5 Spot and a Flux and based on what you described the 5 Spot would be a good fit for your riding style. I also owned a Blur, and I personally did not like the feel of the suspension. The year wheel did not stick to the ground as well as the 5 Spot. The 5 Spot is truly an amazing bike - great on the climbs and the downhill as well as through the rockgardens - nothing that has not been said before . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Zilla -- Spot On!

What Zilla said. Just so happens that I did a three hour ride today with a Buddy who has a Blur LT. We both run leftover 04 Sherman Firefly forks, Time pedals, and 32-inch inseams. I prefer the way my Spot rides to his Blur. It's hard to explain exactly why. The Blur just doesn't feel as lively (?). It may tell you more that he wants to trade bikes more often than I do!

One thing I really like about the Spot is how easy it is to tune the ride characteristics to the ride-of-the-day, even if you don't go so far as to actually change shocks. Mine rides very differently just by varying sag from 20 - 35%. The Blur, due to it's VPP design, really, really wants sag to be set just so. If you don't, chain torque will try to pull it to that sweet spot, anyway.

All that said, my wife rides a VPP Spyder, and loves it. She knows the two pressures she needs to: one for short, local rides, and 5 lbs more for fully-laden Camelbak adventure days.

Finally, if you use anything enough, and long enough, you can wear it out. Both my friend and I had main triangle issues this summer. My issue was resolved by Turner in 3 freaking days. His took almost 3 weeks with Santa Cruz. During prime riding season!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Finally, if you use anything enough, and long enough, you can wear it out. Both my friend and I had main triangle issues this summer. My issue was resolved by Turner in 3 freaking days. His took almost 3 weeks with Santa Cruz. During prime riding season!
    What did you "wear out" on the spot front triangle? The only thing I can think of is the bushings. Did you break something?

MCF
    mtbr member

What about a...

Ventana El Salt....everything I have read says it is a much better version of Turner's - quad bearings, spot on geometry, better welds, interchangeable rockers (4", 5", 5"/6"), stiffer rear end, custom sizes at minimal cost, etc. etc.....just asking the question..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the help, guys. Ventana is not an option because there is not a shop nearby that sells them. I won't buy a bike over the internet, I want to have a place to go for service. Unfortunately, the guys at Gravy Wheels, local shop, say there are no large older style 5spots left, so I need to decide if I want to be a guinnea pig on the new design. I'm sure it will be fine, my only beef is why is the price the same, not lower, since Turner doesn't have to pay for the technology anymore. Seems to me like the savings should be passed on, although it won't have any bearing on my decision. Certainly dropping the price by $25 or so would have been a nice gesture and sent a pretty strong message. Oh well, that's why I don't run businesses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jakey
    Seems to me like the savings should be passed on, although it won't have any bearing on my decision. Certainly dropping the price by $25 or so would have been a nice gesture and sent a pretty strong message. Oh well, that's why I don't run businesses.
    Try not to focus on the issue....... that you think the price should be lowered because Turner doesn't have to pay royalties.

The only issue that should concern you is the price of the Turner vs the price of the other bikes that you want. You have no idea how much profit Turner makes compared to others. If he's making less, should he charge even more for the bikes? If he moves to a more expensive facility, should he charge more? Turner has superb customer service. That costs a LOT. Don't forget the importance of CS.

The 5 Spot is a great bike. Don't let a false perception cheat you out of a wonderful bike...... and it is a wonderful bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0