5 Spot Sizing Question (sorry!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

5 Spot Sizing Question (sorry!)

I have done a pretty thorough search and not really found the answer...

I gather that at 6'3" the prevailing wisdom is (and Turner sizing chart suggests) I need an XL 5 Spot. But given that the 5 Spot has a pretty long wheelbase and the top tube on the XL is 10mm longer than on either of my hardtails, I am concerned the XL will be too big and unwieldy. Unfortunately I can't find one to test ride (in south east England) and need to make a decision on a great deal on a new, warrantied XL frame.

I am short-legged, long-bodied and long-armed, and my hardtails are a) 612mm top tube with a 100mm stem and b) 620mm top tube with a 90mm stem.

I would normally have gone for a Large as I want my Spot more on the flickable side rather than XC-stretched-out-and-efficient side.

Based on numbers, should I be thinking large or extra large?

Now with 3 more inches!
    BikeZilla might be the man to answer this one. I believe he's owned both?

I'm 6 3 1/2 and ride an XL Burner. I've also ridden other people's XL Spots and Flux and that's definitely the right size for me. I was previously on a Stumpy hardtail and didn't get a chance to test ride before I bought the Burner, so I went with TT length. If you're short in the legs for your height the standover might be a bit of an issue along with cockpit length. Maybe there's another Homer in SE England who can offer you a ride on a large.

mtbr member
    given that at 5 foot 11 a large 5 Spot fits me like a glove - I can not believe a large would fit you without a 120mm hi rise stem and a 500mm post ! Get an Xl with 80mm stem.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    I'm 6'3'' and have had both a Flux and current 5 Spot in XL. It's the right size for me. The only ones I'd go down to a large in are a Highline or DHR.

Moosehead
    I'm 6' even Clydesdale on a Large Spot which is perfect. I also rode XL Gary Fisher's in the past. Not sure that Clyde riders flick anything, more like power through, eh?

Me thinks you would look like a praying mantis on the L and recommend the XL. Standover shouldn't be an issue at all with the sloping TT and your height.

It's a killer bike, enjoy.

Members who have read this thread: 0