5-Spot & Sherman Firefly '03- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

5-Spot & Sherman Firefly '03

What do you Spot owners think? IS this Manitou fork too heavy @ 4.8 lbs? If I can get away with this fork, then all I need is a frame - which makes owning a 5 Spot more likely!

It will have Truvativ Hussefelt cranks on it, Blackspire SuperPro rings and a Race Face bash guard - kinda heavy freerideish for a 5 Spot maybe, but covering lots of rugged miles is what I like, I routinely go up 1,200 - 2,200 feet, then down...

I digress... What do you think of the fork match-up?
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 06-25-2004 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member

Firefly

I ran the 5 lb 8 oz Flick on my Spot and I really liked it until I started having a bad stiction problem with the fork that a factory rebuild didn't cure. The Firefly has SPV but I don't like it on my Minute 1. I'm actually thinking about ditching the Minute and going back to my super plush black elite because the high frequency harshness I'm attributing to SPV on the Minute is causing fatigue and wrist and elbow soreness I've never had before. I didn't notice the extra weight much and I liked the tall axle to crown on the Flick so the Firefly should be fine.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm running the '03 Z1QR20... plenty heavy...plenty stiff...plenty plush...plenty fun...plenty plenty!

There were times I was absolutely certain I was going OTB into a rockgarden...only to find the fork laughing it off. IMO if you ride hard, on very technical terrain, the extra weight of a kickarse fork is worth it. But then we don't get trails with 2000 ft elevations in my corner of the NE...but the isht that gets packed in our short steep climbs make it worthwhile.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

It's good to learn this!

I'm using the Firefly on a FR bike - figure I'll refine my technique on this hucker over the next year while I save so that by the time I get my Spot most of the "big-drop learning-curve" bashfest will be out of the way!

mtbr member

It's good to learn this!

I'm using the Firefly on a FR bike - figure I'll refine my technique on this hucker over the next year while I save so that by the time I get my Spot most of the "big-drop learning-curve" bashfest will be out of the way!

incidently, I do not plan to use the Spot for BIG drop FR - being comfortable up to 4 feet is an asset to trailriding on the Colorado Plateau. I've seen guys here drop 15' (no joke) on hardtails and make it look like they landed in gradma's feather bed (one will soon be well know I believe). With skill it seems unlikely you'd break a 5 Spot opn anything in the 4 foot range.