5 spot Float shim mod and Turner dealers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

5 spot Float shim mod and Turner dealers

I don't own a DW 5 spot, but I come here often enough to know that a) some dw spot owners have bottom-out issues, depending on the terrain they ride, if they set the shock pressure such that small bump compliance is good b) the easy & inexpensive shim mod discussed at length in this forum appears to fix this issue c) DT hisself seems to be a fan of the float plastic shim mod, and recommends it (unless i read his posts incorrectly).

so I'm a bit surprised that Turner dealers I've spoken with are 100% ignorant about a, b, and c. "Haven't heard anything about that at all"; "News to me". etc. etc.

while i don't expect Turner dealers to pay much attention to Turner's sponsored forum, and I'm not surprised at confirmation of that fact, I am surprised that in their extensive conversations with DT and others at turner in recent weeks (e.g. demo events held at their shops), this topic apparently never came up once.

am i missing something?
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

full information

What you're missing is that most dealers do not have extensive conversations with one of their smallest suppliers(TSB) Most dealers don't even stock our bikes, they have sold them, they can get them but wait for you to order it, so they are not as in touch with the brand as you may think, mostly because they are up to their eyeballs in the bigger Co's inventory and processing those companies extensive information to sell that inventory.

If you want full information you need to contact us directly. As you have read here the shim is a great, totally customizeable tool for those that want more resistance to bottoming. Of course we could spec some air volume reduction from Fox as they have a way to do it, but with a small % of riders actually needing it, this would only lead to a lot more riders never getting full travel.

In the future we will convey more information to all our dealers as I am sure there are some that would make the time to learn more about Turner Bikes and their tuning and upkeep.

DT

I think I need to Upgrade
    Fro,

Do you realize that these Turner dealers that you are talking about do have other stuff to do such as running their business in a very difficult economic time that they may not have time to know EVERYTHING in the world? Usualy it takes someone asking a question about something such as this to either spark an interest to investigate in to it, or just to make them aware of this type of modification.

trail fairy
    Yeah to a degree thats right but having been in many competitive feilds in sales and marketing ya have to know youre own range intensively as well as the competitions, I see this as a bit of a cop out myself personally!

An its all about having there cake and eat it too,businesses! people especailly you guys [US] have access to cheap true high speed broadband! Access to research is not difficult and pretty easy to stay abreast of, its called working at the business not in the business!

If you don't know ya range and especially high end stuff even if its low volume then why should consumers have trust and respect for the dealer, too much is one way with bike shops period, we are expected to put our expensive bikes in there hands to work on around allot of chit, leaned up and treated like any other POS in the shop, I expect someone whos dealing with me to know there stuff maybe its in part from what I have expected my clients to expect from me in the past!

Many of the mainstream LBS have staff that are retail peeps or lads girls learning the ropes, they are mentors and examples of what they will become, if they learn these practices thats what we can expect in the future and its all too comon the slack arse attitudes from some young whipper snappers!

I'm very clear on what I'm after and usually there's always correction, many techniques which are not time consuming and dont hold up the mechcanic or retails staff can be employed but never are! This is not rocket science! geez a half arsed website can do most work for people!

Data base on ya clients buying habits that the consumer themself can fill out even while in the shop can save time and give accurate info, a freindly look I can get that info or you with a phone call give me a mintue, can go a long way!

Sure there are tire kickers but theyre easy to spot, someone buying a tube today could be laying down 20k over a year or too!

Its not much to ask or expect! slack slack slack ad typical of the mtb industry!

Maybe more focus on what the consumer wants, looking after there needs ya ,might find more loyalty more long term $$ value, etc les hassle with them over time!

Even if not stocked these are high priced items, its the least ya can expect is to have a good knowledge keep up with the ino and be informned to anwer most legitimate questions from sone one whos knows a bit about bikes, especially a boutique bike!

If you get that treatment in other places and see what happens! people need a reality check, LBS always want loyalty but its a two way relationship and very often thats not understood, just another PIA customer, well that PIA customer could be a very high value benefit to your business! Even more so in these times! Service is and should be the differeniator, I know how hard it is, but don;t cry to me, people choose there job or business if ya dont love or respect it get out and do something else don't moan about it, lots of people are suffering and have no jobs or ar losing them daily!

Its proven here regulary with Chad at Redbarn, Venterama I hear and see there names pop up regulary, thats the sort of service level that differentiates business from whoring and price checking! which is awesome!

JMO from the silent majority
    Last edited by trailadvent; 07-30-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TA when I was working in a shop we didn't always have time to wander/surf the web to see if there was some new tweak for this or mod for that unless someone came in asking or talking about something and showed it to us we didn't always know about it. I was the Lead Service Tech at the shop I worked at and along with doing 10+ repairs a day in a 9 hour day ranging from full overhauls to tires and tubes I had to work the sales floor also. Sometimes I had help but most of the time I didn't because the 3 other people I worked with had their own responsibilities that consumed their 9 hours a day in the shop (we all worked the sales floor). This is how a lot of shops run or have to run to keep the doors open especialy right now. While running a shop like this it doesn't leave much if any time to surf the web for anything but specs broad band or not! I do agree that when working in a shop you do need to keep up with new stuff product tuning or otherwise but it is impossible to keep up on everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Educate Yourself

Many dealers only _know_ how to cash checks.

BTW - Why do these magic-linked bikes that cure disease and suck your d1ck at the same time need shock mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Many dealers only _know_ how to cash checks.

BTW - Why do these magic-linked bikes that cure disease and suck your d1ck at the same time need shock mods?

I/we do/did educate ourselves, but it is impossible to know or see everything, if people would just understand that and not be so critical on other people just because there happens to be something that the don't know then many of us would be much much happier!

Shock mods are another way to tune the shock so that the bike rides the way that it is supposed to. Someone that is 140lbs will need different settings and pressure than I do weighing in at 220lbs, it is just a fact of life.

Speedbump
    Got to say I am with you on this one, TA. I have been extremely disappointed in the knowledge at my local shops (and I have been to all within an hours' drive.) Recently bought the wife a new bike. Had a pretty big budget (got to get her something nice - keep her riding!)

Got awful followup from one (the mfgr. is out of stock on that one until August in all sizes...called the mfgr directly to see if another dealer within 3 hours might have stock and they said "we have that size now in all colors...") Looked at a Titus in one shop and no one could answer even basic questions and couldn't find their book. Looked at a Specy in another and had questions on how active the suspension was under braking and was told "the suspension doesn't actually move, it's more the geometry."

Ended up getting her something from a dealer in Maine with great info and actual customer service and follow-up (we live in Alabama. truth is, it wasn't much better in Florida, with the exception of a great/knowledgable dealer we found in Brandon).

I am in sales. I know everything I can about my products. I always follow up. And I work especially hard for a big sale. For most bike dealers, I think a $4,000 bike is a pretty big sale.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

If a shop or employee has down time then they should be doing what they can to educate themselves on the products that they sell and even the ones that they don't sell! Sometimes though obscure stuff such as the air can shim get over looked, it happens!

Cornflake, I am glad that you were able to find what you wanted for your wife. Somehting to keep in mind in regards to the shop that told you that the mfgr was out of stock is that when the guy that you were working with checked stock he probably went to the mfgr website and the website may not have been updated, it happens unfortunately. I have run into it many times at the shop that I used to work at. However it only happened a couple of times, once I learned that they don't update the website everyday I started calling the mfgr when necessary.

Speedbump
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    If a shop or employee has down time then they should be doing what they can to educate themselves on the products that they sell and even the ones that they don't sell! Sometimes though obscure stuff such as the air can shim get over looked, it happens!

Cornflake, I am glad that you were able to find what you wanted for your wife. Somehting to keep in mind in regards to the shop that told you that the mfgr was out of stock is that when the guy that you were working with checked stock he probably went to the mfgr website and the website may not have been updated, it happens unfortunately. I have run into it many times at the shop that I used to work at. However it only happened a couple of times, once I learned that they don't update the website everyday I started calling the mfgr when necessary.
    Pretty sure he didn't check at all. I gave him my phone number and he said he would call them that day. I didn't hear back but was in the shop a week later. Spoke with the same sales guy and the manager and had exactly the same conversation. Gave them my number again. One week later I was back in and asked the sales guy. He says, "oh yeah, I called. Nothing in small until late August." We contacted the manufacturer direct the next day hoping to find another shop with one in stock in Atlanta. They said "we have them here in all stock colors right now.."

Too bad. The shop has great mechanics. Sales and management? Not so much.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornflake
    Pretty sure he didn't check at all. I gave him my phone number and he said he would call them that day. I didn't hear back but was in the shop a week later. Spoke with the same sales guy and the manager and had exactly the same conversation. Gave them my number again. One week later I was back in and asked the sales guy. He says, "oh yeah, I called. Nothing in small until late August." We contacted the manufacturer direct the next day hoping to find another shop with one in stock in Atlanta. They said "we have them here in all stock colors right now.."

Too bad. The shop has great mechanics. Sales and management? Not so much.

Yea, he didn't call,sucks to be them. A little bit of leg work could have made them some money but that seemed to be just a little to much work for him/them, their financial loss.

trail fairy
    TA when I was working in a shop we didn't always have time to wander/surf the web to see if there was some new tweak for this or mod for that unless someone came in asking or talking about something and showed it to us we didn't always know about it. I was the Lead Service Tech at the shop I worked at and along with doing 10+ repairs a day in a 9 hour day ranging from full overhauls to tires and tubes I had to work the sales floor also. Sometimes I had help but most of the time I didn't because the 3 other people I worked with had their own responsibilities that consumed their 9 hours a day in the shop (we all worked the sales floor). This is how a lot of shops run or have to run to keep the doors open especialy right now. While running a shop like this it doesn't leave much if any time to surf the web for anything but specs broad band or not! I do agree that when working in a shop you do need to keep up with new stuff product tuning or otherwise but it is impossible to keep up on everything.
    AZ I here where ya coming from but let me explain know its tough., life is tough and for most people we all have **** to deal with in jobs and businesses!

I know ya can't know everything and thats where handling stuff is a matter of experience attitude to the client and being a differentiators to your competition, is it a job or is it a passion, if its not then its time to move on, my comments are in general but are what Ive experienced in most bike shops like others, I have some real good mates in one shop and hes a trooper they have a great team and theres a few others but in main its slack in my opinion based on how I know others have been treated and my own experiences!

Let me give you some examples of why I don;t accept your response, Ive worked in bikes shops too and motorcycle shops when I was young!
    Last time I looked after a place for a few weeks, I had to setup a POS system do all the data entry, everything cataloged, I had about 15 bikes to build, re organize the shop, take phone calls reply to emails follow up suppliers return phone calls and update people daily, I did all that sold out of most stuff in the shop, re laid out the shop from clothing to parts bikes and did all the builds under time! was the sales person and in one, and did a pretty good job, did the banking etc etc etc!

My old day to day role, I had something like 70 plus customers, in corporate, I had to deal with Marketing, Product development, Billing, Service delivery, Resellers, Contractors, the Banking industry and all there departments sales people, technical people, I had meetings internal and external, training and my own team development tasks on my plate to handle, I did my own billing and data entry and sales forecasts, plans roll outs of product, proposals client visits regular call plans for existing clients, managed and handled client issues onsite and off site, email is was a bog we had project flow data bases to keep updated, CRM systems to deal with and constant phoning incoming and outgoing as well as building my client base and managing my existing don;t talk to me how hard it is buddy, thats what I had to do every day and Ive bound to have missed out a **** load of others stuff as well, its part of the job, if its too much ya move on if ya can;t improve it or if its not the right fit..

We sometimes forget what its like for other people, our customers are business people or hard working people as well, thats all I'm saying is I know how hard it is in the biking industry but its a dam privilege to be doing something ya love have a passion for and do for a living, some take it for granted and I say dood many wouldn''t survive in the real world, so I get ansi when I see people who do live there dream regardless of pay scale you don't moan about it too loud on forums!

I'm sure the shim mod would get most people but a phone call on behalf is always appreciated, or I will come back to you, if you say it then do it, the customer always appreciates this its about setting the expectation and not unrealistic ones, that's stupid and why people fail and clients get disappointed, I never lied for my companies if we screwed up I would take it and usually took the hit myself financially for it to maintain the relationship or improve it, every situation is an opportunity good or bad in business especially if its your own business!, A sale does not end the relationship it is the beginning and that's where the hard yards start, cause next time you will score or miss big, maintaining the relationship is the hardest part because the perceived value is not as visible because the big purchase or sale has happened, do the life cycle and all the add ups of bits and bobs and then the next time, LBS or the bike industry in general cannot afford to lose it!

There's many ways to make things more efficient with what you're saying, its being innovative getting customer feedback to what would help them help them and you to communicate better how to do business etc! Get them to fill out a WOF form for example for servicing or new bike builds so you can discuss it later or when is suitable for both, make appointments with ya clients and keep em, share a coffee when ya sit down with them to go over there needs, don't discount work the floor same in the mechy bay there's lots of ways to do this!

Often retail staff forget this cause they get paid who cares, well ya employer does, hes ya cookie trail, no effort no cookies sooner or later! People want to and are attracted by good environments, especially between staff and owners! Its not all about the product! Businesses are like the kitchen sieves they have lots of tiny holes and that's loss of revenue any business can't afford to lose, its about identifying those leaking parts and plugging them up, improving the client experience and yours and everything improves, you work less harder more satisfying but more efficiently, the client has an awesome experience and less hassle next time, WOM becomes self attracting and more good business takes place and knowledge is one of the best places to start!

Of course its hard, nothing good is easy! Just like riding..

cheers

last rant
    ta
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Sep 2005
    Going out in style!

Members who have read this thread: 0