mtbr member

5 spot build for an agressive lady!

Hey all,

I've bought a 08 closeout spot for my lady... Thing is I don't know how to build it for some one who is +20lb lighter than me, rides with more finesse than me but is still a fast and aggressive rider.

1. Forks.. Pike I assume.. would the fox float 140 be too wimpy?

2. Rims.. I run Mavic XM321.. great for me.. too heavy for her.. I need some suggestion on strong/light non UST rims.

3. Brake.. Avid Elixir R looks good and well priced.. any recommendations?

Cheers,

Rich

not so super...
    Float w/ 15mm axle

Stan's Arch rims

Elixer should be good
    Nothing to see here.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    My aggressive lady's 5 Spot is outfitted with Maverick DUC32, DT 4.2 rims (good width and only 400g) and the old school XT 4 pots 180/160 (new Saints are based off those).

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    My aggressive lady's 5 Spot is outfitted with Maverick DUC32, DT 4.2 rims (good width and only 400g) and the old school XT 4 pots 180/160 (new Saints are based off those).

_MK

I have those XT brakes on my SS.
    Nothing to see here.

ride better, ride faster
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I have those XT brakes on my SS.
    and I have them on my hardtail...

mtbr member
    RS Revelation with maxle light and Formula K24s - the Elixirs make a din like the Juicys

mtbr member
    I don't know about your lady, but my princess is getting a small '09 Spot in 10 days with a very light build, she weight about 110 lbs.
    Stan's light rims on Am. Classic wheels, RS Revelation 140, Hope mini-mono pro, carbon bars and seatpost, pretty light build in general.
    I'm expecting it will come in around 26lbs, for her weight, it should be sufficiently strong.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Committed
    She sounds like a lucky lady!

I built my better half's 5.Spot for aggressive trailriding, and suit our local terrain.
    She weighs about 120 and rides more aggressively than most guys.
    Her Spot is built as follows:
    Fox Talas 140 (to be replaced with a Talas 150 w/ 15mm axle)
    King/Mavic 819 wheelset
    Sram XO drivetrain w/ XT FD
    Shimano XT brakes
    Thompson post/stem
    Protaper carbon riser bar
    Raceface Deus crankset
    2.2 mutanoraptor / 2.3 nevagal tires
    The bike ended up at 28.5#, we could have gone lighter but she is hard on bikes.
    After four months and 600 or so trail miles on the new Spot, she is loving it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    She sounds like a lucky lady!

I built my better half's 5.Spot for aggressive trailriding, and suit our local terrain.
    She weighs about 120 and rides more aggressively than most guys.
    Her Spot is built as follows:
    Fox Talas 140 (to be replaced with a Talas 150 w/ 15mm axle)
    King/Mavic 819 wheelset
    Sram XO drivetrain w/ XT FD
    Shimano XT brakes
    Thompson post/stem
    Protaper carbon riser bar
    Raceface Deus crankset
    2.2 mutanoraptor / 2.3 nevagal tires
    The bike ended up at 28.5#, we could have gone lighter but she is hard on bikes.
    After four months and 600 or so trail miles on the new Spot, she is loving it.
    Sounds like a great bike.
    Climbing is a big part of riding around Durango. A lighter build is important for our conditions, at least when you are only 110lbs.
    What size frame is she on?
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Sounds like a great bike.
    Climbing is a big part of riding around Durango. A lighter build is important for our conditions, at least when you are only 110lbs.
    What size frame is she on?
    She rides a small.
    Trying to keep the weight down is especially important for lighter riders. It's tough when most bikes and components are built with a 160#+ aggressive male rider in mind.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

My girl is 5"10' and strong athletic build.. not a feather weight but not up to my 170lb, agressive but with a lot more finesse. She's looking for a more aggressive bike (but light!) than her 04 enduro.
    So maybe the pike, DT 4.2 rims... then I'll decide on brakes.
    She's got xt 4 pots on her S-works (old and worn out). Elixirs are cheap (but make noise). I'm trying to keep this on the lower end of the budget.

Rich

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

parts is parts

Lighter is better as even if she weighs the same, women are not carrying the same amount of muscle, generally speaking. Aggresive is pretty vague, National level DH rider who will use this as a training tool, or never the last rider up or down any mountain?For a woman that is 150 lbs a Pike might be overkill unless you lived and rode in Moab/Sedona/Phoenix@SouthMtn etc. Most of the west slope has nowhere near that much rock. The Float 140 QR15 would be a good compromise in stiffness and weight. I don't think that the older bike likes the longer 150mm fork as well as the 09.

My huny has a pretty light Flux with 2 sets of wheels, rides the STs with 2.25 tires most of the time and if needed the stupid light Stans/American Classic wheels and 1.9/2.1 tires can be thrown on for a local XC race, but, just changing tires can make a HUGE impact on ride feel. My wife never hurt the super light wheels, and she is 140 before gear and 'aggressive', but did not like the flex for rocky rutted trails, so on went the Mavic STs. So lightish rims with lightish tires most of the time, and some pig tires for trips to Moab or? The extra weight will make the bike feel much more stable for the trips to the big rock. The Syntace QR seat clamp is the ticket as it is far narrower than anything else so the rocker does not hit it on the small frame. You can get it from Magura if no one else can find them. Don't waste the money and added weight on a Gravity Dropper, most of your Colorado climbs go on just short of forever so a minute to use a QR at the top for the long downhills is not a problem.

A word of advice. Don't skimp on her bike if she rides regularly, if you have to take the light parts off you bike and put them on hers. More fun for her equals more rides.

DT

DT

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    A word of advice. Don't skimp on her bike if she rides regularly, if you have to take the light parts off you bike and put them on hers. More fun for her equals more rides.

DT
    DT knows his sh!t. The more comfortable her bike and the faster she can climb and descend; the more smiles on her face, more riding and less arguing/pouting.

Girls can run lighter tires, too. I would never run a Nobby Nic on my rig, but it works in this application.

I don't quite agree with the Gravity Dropper comment, though, as we use ours a million times on each ride. Definitely more so in the Front Range/Western Slope than in the high country. She does miss her Maverick Speedball, though, as she was used to the office chair quality of it. BTW, props to DT for great standover on the Small. The 4in Gravity Dropper could go down an inch more if they made one, and she's only 5' 4".

_MK

P.S. Attached is a pic of my wife's bike. It's a Spot front tri, Flux rear tri hybrid. It comes in at 27lbs as pictured.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Spot front tri, Flux rear tri hybrid
    Is that mostly for weight or does it also change the geometry a bit?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Is that mostly for weight or does it also change the geometry a bit?
    The effect on the geometry is small with the chainstays being 1/8th of an inch shorter. The rear end is about 0.35lbs lighter, which is a bonus as well.

Ultimately, it was a luck of a draw as the frame was purchased like that second hand.

_MK

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Here is the Misses ride. Float is plenty stiff and elixers are dialed. She is 140lbs and a national level sport DH rider with a few wins last season( different bike of course.) Running 717 wheels with zero problems. As it sits 27lbs and with soild 2.35 trail tires 28lbs.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member

O.P.wanted non UST rims....

Assuming you intend to run 2.1 tire or narrower,

Alot of people are running D.T. 4.1's with no problems. I have (still in service) a 5.1 but I'm with the camp that the D.T. rims are soft. They dent and scratch so easy. I ran the old 317 (renamed 717) for 6 years. Other than 17mm is narrow for a 2.3 tire I was very happy with those rims. I now run 721's, heavy but happy!

So I second the Mavic 717 suggestion.

I was just looking into these for a friend and noticed the 719 is about 65 gams heavier and should be worth the weight if one would want more severe duty.

Well anyhow the 717 and 4.1 should be worth comparing weight and price.

Picking parts is fun stuff, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I should've said something earlier, but who knew this thread would turn into a show and tell session...

Knowing the height and inseam #'s for the riders of those bikes above would be supremely helpful. I'm on the fence about putting my partner on a small or medium DW Spot - thanks to the lower standover on the '09s, it's now an option.

Her measurements suggest a small ( 5'6" 31.5" inseam ), but our riding - non technical NW trails with lots of fire road transits in between - make me think she could get away with a medium.

I know the Flux is a more practical bike for what we do, and it's not off the table. I just don't want to be undergunned when we go somewhere fun and there seems to be little penalty in weight and peddaling efficiency between the two - so why not plan for the future?

MK, congrats on the Splux, it was me you sniped on that frame. Though I wasn't trying as hard as I should've because my girl wasn't into the raw finish and I was adding $250 to the deal for a powdercoat.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesomatic
    Knowing the height and inseam #'s for the riders of those bikes above would be supremely helpful.
    My girl is 5'4 with a 29in inseam (lucky for you she stopped by the house for lunch).
    Funny that it was you I was in the running against for the frame. I had a certain budget that I wasn't going to cross, but luckily it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by fermenter
    I'm with the camp that the D.T. rims are soft.
    I would agree with that statement only in reference to 6.1s; but that serves a purpose, as those are DH race rims and they're soft so you don't snake bite the tube and fall out of the race. I've had 5.1s for all of last season and they're still going strong. A buddy of mine has been beating the sh!t out of his and, although wobbly as hell, they're dent free.

On a side note, 4.1s are not very exciting, they're 420g and narrow, akin to 317s from Mavic. 4.2s are much more interesting as they're 20g lighter and significantly wider. 717s are 400g as well, but narrow. 4.2s can support an honest 2.3in tire, which is about as big as a lighter rider needs.

WTB makes interesting rims in this category as well, the 2009 Laserdisc XC is 25mm wide and 425g. And then there's Alex with their scandium rim, XCR Pro, which is 23 or 24mm wide (the description on their site is confusing) and comes in at a whopping 300g even; I'm questioning durability, though.

Finally, I'm not too stoked on the quality of Stan's rims. I have a set of their ZTR 355s and a piece of aluminum they use in the formation of the sleeve joint is loose in them and super annoying on every rotation. I called them up and they told me they were aware of the problem and they suggested I superglue the piece. I was pretty unhappy with that resolution. You pay bookoo for the rim, it comes sub par, and they tell you to superglue it.

_MK
    Last edited by MK_; 03-18-2009 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [QUOTE=cyclesomatic].

Her measurements suggest a small ( 5'6" 31.5" inseam ), but our riding - non technical NW trails with lots of fire road transits in between - make me think she could get away with a medium.

QUOTE]
    She is the same size as above but we went with a med (23" TT) so she could run a 50mm stem and still have some room. After going to a short stem its hard to go back.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am a heavy rider and very aggressive. I went with the 32 Fox Vanilla RLC. I have owned TALUS in the past. Quite frankly, I am surprised that the Van RLC performs as it does for my weight. Your wife might enjoy the performance and the lack of maintenance (don't have to pump it up before rides, just set it and forget it).

Don't do the R or the RL, do the full RLC for compression settings.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    As mentioned above I would not recommend the Pike as it is just too heavy. I also believe the Float would be an excellent choice. To improve fork performance you could send it to Push or some other tuner to have them better adjust it to her weight. I have done this with my better half her current Talas and she was pretty stoked about the improvement.

Currently building up my better half's DW 5 Spot. I am trying to keep it as light as possible as well. Most parts I will be scavenging from her HL 5 Spot. Build will be pretty much the below. Will post pictures once completed.

Bike setup:
    * Frame Size & Color: Small, Sparkle blue front and rear
    * Rear Shock: Fox RP23
    * Fork: Fox Float RLC (tuned to her weight) without the 15mm axle. Don't think it will be worth the investment (hub etc)
    * Brakes: Formula ORO. Will see if I can use the Hope disks she has now.
    * Shifter: X.0 twist shifter
    * Cranks: XTR
    * Rear Derailleur: X.0 short cage
    * Pedals: DMR Mag, Ti axle
    * Stem: Syntace F99 Ti bolts etc.
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite XC
    * Seatpost: ExtraLite
    * Saddle: Fizik Vitesse Ti
    * Bottom Bracket: XTR
    * Chainring: 22 - 36 XT - Shimano composite bashring
    * Cassette: 12-34 XTR
    * Headset: Crank Brothers Cobalt c//
    * Grips: cheap plastic thin ones with dolphins
    * Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic
    * Front Rim: Mavic 717
    * Front Hub: DT 240S
    * Rear Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic
    * Rear Rim: Mavic 717
    * Rear Hub: DT 240S

* Future changes: We might want to look at wider rims as the 717's are quite narrow. Could be I will have to replace the hope floating disks for Formula disks.

Members who have read this thread: 0