5.5 Spot!- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5.5 Spot!

striker!

5.5 Spot!

Hey guys, I got a hold of a pair of the 5.5 rockers and stuck them on my '06 5 spot:

Notice the considerable width from the top view:

It took a little manipulation to retro fit the '07 rockers on the '06 (with 5.1 rockers) bike but I'll get the that later. The first thing to mention is that putting on the '07 rockers does not raise the bottom bracket. The '07 5.5 Spot bottom bracket height adjustment was done in the seat stay. This can be good news for those who really like to keep the BB low at the expense of a little pedal clearance. Once you account for sag, the steady state bottom bracket height would now be bit a tad lower. This can be a good tradeoff if you're more interested in aggressive cornering and overall handling than clearance. The DHXair needed to be adjusted for the extra leverage. I went from 110 in the main to 140 and from 80 in the boost to 120. I'm still playing around with these settings some.

Performance wise, they are a nice upgrade to a 5.1 spot. The 4 foot drop that I hit on my local trails usually bottoms the 5.1 whereas the 5.5 did not (see video link below). Iím sure that the bike is more laterally rigid now but with the trails being powdery and in bad need of rain, its hard to tell whether it stay truer under hard cornering. The bike really felt the same handling wise, it was just a bit plusher travel wise. The plushness was also noticable during technical and bumpy climbs, a bit more travel smooths it out more and keeps the rear glued to the ground.

Installation wise, I ran into 3 issues: 1) even with a stock seatpost collar, I still had the seat stay yoke make contact with the collar. I took a dremel to it and shaved off enough so it would just miss. (Note, on the medium frames, the seat stay yoke approches the seat collar under full compression. On any other size the yoke would go below or above the collar and you don't run into this clearance issue). No big deal, just taking off a little metal resolved this issue. The pictures above were BEFORE I replaced the salsa collar with the stock. 2) The front derailleur hits the chainstay. No surprise here. Even with grinding it out and moving the clamp up, I still get a little contact under full bottom. I only notice this in the parking lot, pulling down hard on the bars and mashing the rear, I could get the derailleur to touch. I didnít really notice this on the trail. I have an XT which is has probably the longest cage between the XTR, XT and SRAM derailleurs. 3) I canít get the shock pump on the main chamber air valve. Not quite enough room here. I was thinking about grinding it out to make a little more room but Jarrett mentioned that there are going to be extenders for the air valves such that you can get a pump on it without having to take out the top shock bolt.

None of these issues would appear on the '07 5.5 spot as the chainstays have been dropped to clear the derailleur and the DHXair will have extra long air valves so getting the pump on the main chamber won't be an issue.

Tire clearance was fine with 2.35 highrollers. I didnít make any contact with the seat tube.

Overall, I give the new rockers a thumbs up. The handling that I have come to love from the 5 spot didn't change but now its able to gobble up just a little more treachery. Although I did have to do some manipulating to get them on, the overall result is a net positive. I won't be putting the 5.1's back on. Not mention, I think they look really good on the bike.

Check out a couple clips on the longer legged Spot:

<a href='https://media.putfile.com/55-Spot'>5.5 Spot video</a>

S

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    Congrats on the 5.5 Spot. Cool, short little video w/music - makes me wanna go and tear it up. Looks like a fun little trail - what trail is that?
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    - Stephen Wright

not so super...
    I need some of those to try on my (now 5.3") Pack
    Nothing to see here.

You bastard, you make those drops look like nothing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

06 rocker

What i thouught the 2006 rocker has a 5.3 travel not 5.1 pls respond 2006 5 spot owner.

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by jigbalot
    What i thouught the 2006 rocker has a 5.3 travel not 5.1 pls respond 2006 5 spot owner.
    You are correct. The '06's had the 5.3 rockers however mine had 5.1 rockers. I had requested these such that I could do a comparison between my HL 5 spot and the TNT spot. Since my HL Spot had 5.1 rockers, I got 5.1's on the new spot too.

Also, the trails I'm on are in Palos Verdes

mtbr member
    Superstock, thatís a nice looking trail in the video, loving those drops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    Check out a couple clips on the longer legged Spot:

<a href='http://media.putfile.com/55-Spot'>5.5 Spot video</a>

S
    The new rockers/bike sound nice. Will that video be on Turner's website for the 5.5 Spot?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Nothing here
    Hey man nice vid. Was that you in the recent MBA riding the Chumba bike?

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    Hey man nice vid. Was that you in the recent MBA riding the Chumba bike?
    Yes it was! Riding in the same location as this video as well.

Good eye.

S
    Last edited by superstock; 10-30-2006 at 07:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet video! Thanks for the heads up.

So when will the 07 frames be available. I'm getting a 5 spot in the coming weeks and wondering if it is worth the wait? Thanks.

mtbr member

So does this mean...

Changing my 03 spots rockers to 07 5.5 rockers won't change the bb height therefore won't change the fork HA?

Therefore no change in geometry just a change in rear travel.

And then if you do want a change in geo (for longer forks) go buy push rockers instead??

Rich

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich9000
    Changing my 03 spots rockers to 07 5.5 rockers won't change the bb height therefore won't change the fork HA?

And then if you do want a change in geo (for longer forks) go buy push rockers instead??

Rich
    Good question. Since the BB stayed the same with my measurements, then the HA should be the same. I typically ran my Z1light at about 140mm travel because I wanted a bit slacker ride. I left it the same with 5.5 rockers but I really should try going up to 150mm travel up front. Since I have more travel, it would be good to slacken the head angle just a bit more too. Just like the RFX has a degree slacker head angle than the Spot, I would think that the 5.5 Spot could slacken half a degree as well. Or I could leave it the way it is now since I have the head angle that I like but with more balanced travel.

From what I've read, the PUSH rockers make a BB adjustment within the rocker. So that would be the way to go if you want to maintain the HA with a longer fork. The problem I see with the PUSH rockers, is that for the pre '06 spots, there is limited tire clearance due to the positioning of the cable stop. Darren recommends a 2.2 tire to remedy the clearance issues.

DGC reviewed these rockers as they were applied to a 2005 Spot. He lists a bunch of tires that he tried for clearance and it sounded like only the bigger tires just touched the cable stop. He also states that the head angle steepened by 1/2 a degree. I'm not sure if thats the case considering the BB stayed the same ....

S

Team Blindspot

Rich
    The 07 Rockers will not raise the BB. This was done on the new spot by changing the length of the rear end components.

So to summarize:

To increase travel and not affect geometry: get 07 Turner rockers.

To increase travel and raise BB: Get Push Rockers or 07 Turner rockers and 07 seat and chainstays.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    The 07 Rockers will not raise the BB. This was done on the new spot by changing the length of the rear end components.
    Now I'm confused... why did DGC report an 1/2 degree steeper HA??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2006 chainstay

Just wondering supergoodstock if i can change a 2006 chainstay to 2007 chainstay and the rocker. thanx pls respond

DGC
    mtbr member

good question

Now I'm confused... why did DGC report an 1/2 degree steeper HA??
    All I can tell you is how I went about it. I have a said spot on my floor that I use, marked with where the tires are placed, I set the bike up there, with the front end perfectly or nearly so straight, the bike upright to the point where is would stand upright a few long seconds if you let it go. Then with an angle finder check both the seat and head tube angles, then do it again with the bike turned around to get an average in case the ground is not perfectly flat. Followed by a second round of exactly what I did the first time just to be sure.
    I have also done the same process on a floor area that was flat, still going both directions to see any difference in angles. I did this with the old rockers, then installed the new rockers immediately. Nothing on the bike (parts, suspension) was changed. I felt the angle difference was an honest measured difference.
    Only thing to note, that really should not change anything is that I have a large 05 frame.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

fried stuff with cheese

Rich

That is how DT explained it to me.
    Egg

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by jigbalot
    Just wondering supergoodstock if i can change a 2006 chainstay to 2007 chainstay and the rocker. thanx pls respond
    My understanding is that the geometry of the chainstay did not change, Turner just reconfigured a bit with the asymetrical stays. The seat stay is a bit longer to make the bottom bracket adjustment. You should be able to put the CS and rocker on a 2006. This is what I would like to do, get the new asymetrical chain stays but keep my shorter seat stays. This would keep the BB at the same height but still get the improved CS with the better derailleur clearance. If you want the higher BB then get the '07 seat stay. I think all of this is a moot point because I don't think that Turner will be selling the CS separately like the rockers, you probably need to just buy the '07 Spot to get all those goodies.

S

Team Blindspot

So to summarize:

To increase travel and not affect geometry: get 07 Turner rockers.

To increase travel and raise BB: Get Push Rockers or 07 Turner rockers and 07 seat and chainstays.
    My info comes from emails back and forth with DT. Now I may have got his explanation wrong, but that's how I remember it.

And thank you for pointing out it was the Seatstay that changed in length, I could not remember if David said CS or SS.
    Astigmatic Visionary

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    All I can tell you is how I went about it. I have a said spot on my floor that I use, marked with where the tires are placed, I set the bike up there, with the front end perfectly or nearly so straight, the bike upright to the point where is would stand upright a few long seconds if you let it go. Then with an angle finder check both the seat and head tube angles, then do it again with the bike turned around to get an average in case the ground is not perfectly flat. Followed by a second round of exactly what I did the first time just to be sure.
    I have also done the same process on a floor area that was flat, still going both directions to see any difference in angles. I did this with the old rockers, then installed the new rockers immediately. Nothing on the bike (parts, suspension) was changed. I felt the angle difference was an honest measured difference.
    Only thing to note, that really should not change anything is that I have a large 05 frame.
    Interesting. One thing I found that probably added the largest amount of variability is getting my sag set up exactly the same as I had it with the shorter rockers. I was shooting for 30 percent but it felt like I had more than before and was sitting a little lower in the travel when climbing.

S

fried stuff with cheese
    My info comes from emails back and forth with DT. Now I may have got his explanation wrong, but that's how I remember it.

And thank you for pointing out it was the Seatstay that changed in length, I could not remember if David said CS or SS.
    It was explained to me the same way. I believe it was seat stay.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2007 Rocker

Supergoodstock what about changing just my 2006 rocker with the 2007 rocker do i have to shave my seat collar i do have the medium 2006 thanx pls respond.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great riding and review

I wonder if the X.9 front derailleur would fix the chainstay problem. I would be bugged if my front derailleur was hitting my chainstay. Nice riding...

Jaybo

mtbr member
    How much are the new rockers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel
    How much are the new rockers?
    $150.00
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Release date

When are these going on sale?

mtbr member
    Right now it's the missing link to build the bikes if I understand correctly.

So priority is to the frames rather than spare parts.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey SuperStock, I know this is totally irrelevant to the topic but what rims are you using? Cos the kinda stuff that i do is pretty much like what i saw in the vid but i've never built a wheelset for an AM bike before (i was on CrossMax XLs till a run in with a wild boar).

I was thinking mavic 823s but it might be a bit of an overkill since this is also going to be y epic bike and might go for the 819s to cut some weight down but i'm not sure if they'll hold up.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by waynep
    Hey SuperStock, I know this is totally irrelevant to the topic but what rims are you using? Cos the kinda stuff that i do is pretty much like what i saw in the vid but i've never built a wheelset for an AM bike before (i was on CrossMax XLs till a run in with a wild boar).

I was thinking mavic 823s but it might be a bit of an overkill since this is also going to be y epic bike and might go for the 819s to cut some weight down but i'm not sure if they'll hold up.
    The DT 5.1d works just fine for that kind of stuff.

Now - anyone try thses 07 rockers on a Pack/RFX yet? Does anyone have a set that I could try on my Pack? Worth a shot ya know!
    Nothing to see here.

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by waynep

I think Rhyno Lite XL are the perfect trail rim except that they aren't UST. So when I got tired of doing rim strip conversions, I switched from the Rhyno to the 823, mainly because of the similar rim width. I have the 819's on my Flux but I feel those rims are too skinny for aggressive riding. Especially if you're running the tires a little soft and want to do some hard cornering, the tires will fold over with the 819 but the 823's are wide enough to avoid that.

My 823's have been true since I built them over a year ago.

S

Hisforever
    SS,
    Are you racing the Yammie Moto?
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    SS,
    Are you racing the Yammie Moto?
    No racing the 450 but I was doing lots of track days until I got hurt. Its is super fun but can bite you!

S

formoverfunxtion

How about the horst link version w/ '07 rockers?

Anyone try the 5.5 rockers on a horst link spot?

Members who have read this thread: 0