mtbr member

4" Travel on my 5 Spot? Huh? Help.

I have a 5 Spot with the rear der hanger in the middle of the seat tube. Its got the 5.1 (?)rockers on it. I was cleaning and doing maintenance. I was having trouble with the front derailluer shifting. I noted that the der cage was a little bent. I saw that it was hitting the chainstay yoke, thus bending it a little, but also restricting rear travel. So while I was doing this, I took off the RP3. I fully compressed the rear up and touching and slighly into the der hanger, within a hair's breath of the seat tube hitting the cross bar of the seat stay. I measured the floor to a point on the saddle. Then I put everything back together and measured again. I could only get 4'' difference.
    On top of that, I have a XT front der. If I put it too low, it hits the chainstay yoke. What the heck? It takes a 113mm BB, right?
    Spongebob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Just another FOC'er
    Travel is vertical movement of the rear axle, which will be more than you'll measure at the seat.

The front derailleur has to set at the height required to clear a big ring (44T) whether you have one or not. With a bash ring it'll look too high, but that's the way it's gotta be.

mtbr member

Oh, 'Doh'

Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Travel is vertical movement of the rear axle, which will be more than you'll measure at the seat.

The front derailleur has to set at the height required to clear a big ring (44T) whether you have one or not. With a bash ring it'll look too high, but that's the way it's gotta be.
    Well that makes more sense! I knew there had to be something I didn't understand.

73 x 113 is correct, right?

I do have a bash ring on there, and I thought I had it high enougn but now I check again.

Thanks
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Well that makes more sense! I knew there had to be something I didn't understand.

73 x 113 is correct, right?

I do have a bash ring on there, and I thought I had it high enougn but now I check again.

Thanks
    SB
    Yeah 73 x 113, unless you're running a chain guide.

mtbr member
    Yeah 73 x 113, unless you're running a chain guide.

Heims are okay with a 73 x 113 BB.

Lay off the Levers
    SB, If you don't set the Fder height with the big ring on first, there's a good chance you'll set the worng height and Most likely put it too low. The Rear CS yoke will rise up an bend it at full compression.

As for measuring travel, you should measure the rear axle height fully extended and fully compressed. Keep in mind that you must start with both wheels completely level and keep the front from moving vertically when you lift and compress the rear sus.

Keep in mind that if you do this with the shock on you won't see full travel because of the bottom-out bumper has to be fully compressed. Even Air shocks can have a internal bumper. If measure with the shock off remember to limit the travel at the 2" of compression I2I as that is as far as any shock on the Spot will compress (in spec). You can cut a short piece of PVC and drill holes at a pre-measured compressed I2I distance and bolt it up to ensure you stop at the accurate endpoint.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    SB, If you don't set the Fder height with the big ring on first, there's a good chance you'll set the worng height and Most likely put it too low. The Rear CS yoke will rise up an bend it at full compression.
    Also, keep in mind that if you're on a steep downhill and hanging your butt over the rear wheel, your nads may limit rear travel. This, of course, is a function of package size.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Heims are okay with a 73 x 113 BB.
    Depends on the cranks. I had problems with XT M572 (Hollowtech) where even a couple mm thick chainguide would cause the non-drive side to bottom out on the BB shell.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    Also, keep in mind that if you're on a steep downhill and hanging your butt over the rear wheel, your nads may limit rear travel. This, of course, is a function of package size.
    if i had a beer right now, it would be all over the screen! haaaaaaaaaaaaa haha!

another thought though. resivour size is not always proportunate to stroke. perhaps i need to get mine pushed to get both?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Spongebob,

I had the same issue with the XT FD. I didn't see it mentioned yet, but if you raise the FD height in the stand you will get rubbing on the derailleur cage in some gears. With sag, this will go away. To be safe I also ground off a portion of the FD cage with a bench grinder where it would contact the chainstay should the whole thing ever bottom out. I now have about 2mm of safety in a worst case travel scenario.

mtbr member
    Depends on the cranks. I had problems with XT M572 (Hollowtech) where even a couple mm thick chainguide would cause the non-drive side to bottom out on the BB shell.

Hmmm, I'm running 752's and haven't had any problems aside from the chain dropping to granny when backpedaling. That was fixed when I swapped the stock Heim roller with the LRP stepped roller.

Members who have read this thread: 0