Thread: Is this 4 real?

mtbr member

Is this 4 real?

Hi all

Been shopping around for a new 6x6 and was kinda set on a RM Slayer before I started reading the rave reviews and warm and fuzzy feelins being passed around in this forum about their Turner bikes(I know your biased but who cares).
    Anyhow I came across this add http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    and thought the asking price was a bit too good to be true for a Turner.
    Can anyone offer any input as to whether this is legit??

Thanks

Leash Law Enforcer
    Wow. 1800 seems really cheap. It may be worth emailing the guy to find out what the story is. If he is serious on the price and the bike is for real, you've got yourself a steal!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It sounds legit, but the price is pretty low.

Contact the seller and get more information...... like the serial number. Then contact Turner and check to see who it's registered with. It's a great deal if it's real.

Good Luck!

No, that's not phonetic
    Yeah, I can't vouch for the seller's reputability, but I can vouch for the fact that is a SMOKIN' deal if it's real. Nice.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned
    I just purchased a fork from the classifieds. It was a bit of a harrowing experience for me, so I can see a bike giving more headaches and reservations with its rockbottom price.

In my case, the seller and I called one another, as my shipping address is different from billing. Wanted to make him comfortable that I was real, but also wanted to hear the person on the other side. I provided references, things went well on the phone and I paid him.

The MTBR classifieds section is a bit scary to deal with. Perhaps if it required linking to a screen name, it might work out a lot better, but having little recourse is a bit scary.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    wow! a penny for a gold piece. its gotta be a misstype, doesnt it? proceed with caution. ask pointed questions and get specific photos. maybe check his mtbr status out a bit. email turner with the serial #. most folks register their bikes with them before they have been stolen. were here if ya need more help. oh, paypal is yer friend.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Can anyone compare the RFX to the RM Slayer?
    I read tscheezy review @ Interbike on the Slayer(Thank you by the way, that was a great write up) but it was not as indepth hoped it would be.
    Also looking @ the 6.6.

No, that's not phonetic
    Do a search here and on the Canadian board for "slayer". Krispy at GoRide and another guy (iirc) corroborated my impressions. I wouldn't want to go into too much detail after such a short demo. The 6.6 seemed like a VERY nice bike though. Stiff competition, but I would be all over that RFX like flies on poo if the deal is real.

banned
    I don't know. Seems like one of those too good to be true deals.

Wasn't that the parts outfit that came on the demo bikes last year?

Ugh, I have to sell my All Mountain 1. Hope I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The MTBR classifieds section is a bit scary to deal with. Perhaps if it required linking to a screen name, it might work out a lot better, but having little recourse is a bit scary.
    They're working on it .

Improvements to the site are in progress. Anyone noticed the user gallery link and bike shop reviews?

code monkey qoute....new attachment feature -- now when you attach a picture to a thread it'll also go into your user's gallery for reference later. I built out the bikeshops section and am still working out the kinks. Matt is working on a way cool integration with google maps for our trails and bike shop listings -- we'll probably release it publicly in the next couple weeks. Up next is a new classifieds system that'll integrate tightly with the forums -- no more separate user names

mtbr member
    I have a tip if you decide to move ahead with the purchase. Have it shipped to you COD. Bike shows up, you open the box and verify that it is indeed what you intended to buy, then you hand the shipping agent a money order for the agreed upon amount and it's sent to the seller If it's not what you thought it would be, shipper takes it back to the seller and the deal is off. All the major shippers (UPS, FedEx, DHL) have a COD policy, and it protects both parties from getting scammed.

That deal seems too good to be true though, IMO.

mtbr member
    The frame is a medium. I'm 6'. Anyone else on this board ride a medium. How are the RFX's sized?

bad news man. at 6', its too small for a properly sized trail bike. move along. sorry to tell ya this.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Odd

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    bad news man. at 6', its too small for a properly sized trail bike. move along. sorry to tell ya this.
    If you look closely at the picture that's in the MTBR classified ad, you'll notice that the bike is a HL, not TNT. I may be wrong, but check it out.

No, that's not phonetic
    Looks TNT to me. Even better deal, you don't have to upgrade.

mtbr member
    A Medium RFX has a standover height of 31.5 , a top tube length of 23.4, with a seat angle of 72 degrees. My trailbike (RM-ETSX 19" Frame) has a standover height of 31.4", a top tube length of 23.4", with a seat angle of 73.5 degrees.
    Am I missing something?? Will the difference in seat tube angle be really noticable?

its totally up to you man. most 6'-ers i know go with a large. about 99.9%. that doesnt mean you need to if yer preferences differ for any reason. some guys are all leg or just like a small frame. also remember not every company uses the same tape measure as made obvious by a 19" rm commin in at 23.4. and yes, a steep s/a may feel way diff to you. could mean a setback post or a longer tt. test rides are key.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Not too many Turners around here(actually the only Turner I've seen has moved).
    I'll contact Turner and give them my height and inseam.
    If a medium is too small, looks like someone else with be gettin a killer deal.
    But I hear there a sale on new RFX frames right now
    Thanks

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    Not too many Turners around here(actually the only Turner I've seen has moved).
    I'll contact Turner and give them my height and inseam.
    If a medium is too small, looks like someone else with be gettin a killer deal.
    But I hear there a sale on new RFX frames right now
    Thanks
    It looks legit. My buddy e-mailed the guy and this was the response:
    "Yes, the price is correct. The reason why I get rid of it is because I suffered a sever knee injure and I need at least 6 months to be completely recovered so I no longer need of it. Secondly I need the money to pay for my school."

He also sent him a carp-load of pictures. Looks like it might be a demo bike.(??)
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 09-11-2006 at 07:44 AM.
    MCM# 2007.1

nerfherder
    Anyone ask for payment terms? It seems fishy to me because guy's named Nick Powell out of Utah usually have better grammar than that. But I'm a paranoid type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Anyone ask for payment terms? It seems fishy to me because guy's named Nick Powell out of Utah usually have better grammar than that. But I'm a paranoid type of guy.
    i notice ya said nuthin of iowans grammer.
    No, I'm NOT back!

nerfherder

iowhat?

i notice ya said nuthin of iowans grammer.
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Not only that but the email came back as a "Tom Vallert". Asked for more details...we'll see if Tom or Nick responds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Possible Fraud Alert!!!!!

Not only that but the email came back as a "Tom Vallert". Asked for more details...we'll see if Tom or Nick responds.
    I decided to check up, too. "Tom" contacted me and would't give the serial number claiming:

"
    No I can’t just send you that info, at this point I have no guarantee that I’ll heard from you again after you got it. I head a lot of bad stories about people find their bikes listed by others. No hard feelings, maybe I’m just too paranoid, but I’m just not willing to risk.
    If you change your mind about this I fully understand you, but it will be weeks until you find another bike like mine. I’ll be waiting for your reply!
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
    Thanks!"

It sounds fraudulent to me. I'd be very careful before buying this bike. It sounds too good to be true, and most likely is

I'll contact Francois after I hear back from Square Trade.com. I have them checking on this guy... He claims to be affiliated with them.

Edit: Here's his first reply to me:

"
    I’m a member of Square Trade offering up to $10.000 insurance. I have an insurance policy of $5.000. The transaction is between us supervised by Square Trade. This means that if the bike is not like described (this is not the case) Square Trade will refund the money that you sent to me. You will need to make the proof that the money was sent to the proper information (mine) in order to get the refund. The way you are refunded is at your discretion and refund requests are processed within 3 days. If you agree with moving forward with the deal through Square Trade please provide me your full name and shipping address. As soon as I receive this information from you I will forward them to Square Trade along with the rest of the details in order for them to open a case regarding our deal. After you receive the notification from Square Trade please give me an email and confirm me if we have a deal in order for me to make the arrangements for the shipping process."<O:P></O:P>

is there a bangladesh, utah? just askin.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Can Tree Member
    So what's his beef about checking out the S/N? Is he worried that a photo of his bike and S/N will show up on eBay as a scam? Noble of him. But he's not party to or liable for that fraud, so it seems like he is being pretty careful.

Ask him to take a photo of the bike with a dated copy of the local newspaper next to it. Maybe include a recorded video of the bike pleading for a new owner while he's at it.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    So what's his beef about checking out the S/N? Is he worried that a photo of his bike and S/N will show up on eBay as a scam?
    I'm thinking that maybe the bike isn't his. It would explain the great price..... the two names he has.... the lack of a serial number. Did I forget something?

He's acting really strange if this is legit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Update - Scam

The ad has been pulled.

we have uncovered a fraud....hehehehe

Can Tree Member
    Just another day in the life of a Superhero...

(Insert cheesy graphic here)
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

... I guess you won't be
    very interesting disintegration.....

looks like the jig is up for one scammer!

Turner BB : 1

Scamers : 0

Haa haa!

mtbr member
    Back up for those that are interested. Too small for me and too big for the wife.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    If anyone does purchase please let us know if its legit.

Can Tree Member
    Hey, didn't Nick live in Utah? Now he's in Seattle.

Is he using the same e-mail address?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Back up for those that are interested. Too small for me and too big for the wife.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    If anyone does purchase please let us know if its legit.
    I'd be EXTREMELY careful before sending that guy any money, because:

1) He apparently has 2 names (Nick Powell and Tom Vallert)

2) He will not provide the frame serial number so that you can make sure that it isn't stolen.

3) He talks about $5,000 insurance through Square Trade .Com and Square Trade cautions specifically about sellers mentioning large insurance coverage.

4) The price is one of those....Too good to be true.

I may be wrong, but something is fishy.... especially him not providing a s/n. Would you want a bike that was stolen?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Hey, didn't Nick live in Utah? Now he's in Seattle.

Is he using the same e-mail address?
    I believe that you're correct. The email address seems different... I'll check tonight.

Maybe he just forgot where he lives

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Maybe he just forgot where he lives
    Or worse...maybe he's terminally stupid. He knows enough to post the bike on MTBR. So he should know about the forums (or he's stupid). And he should have been aware of the questions that were being raised (or he's stupid). And he could have addressed the questions by responding to them directly in the forums (or he's stupid).

But if he's a scammer...he pulled the first ad but then it reappears a day later? Stupid is as stupid does...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Roy
    mtbr member
    CC is definately on track with our english as a second language offender...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    CC is definately on track with our english as a second language offender...
    Now there's two dollars shot to hell. MTBR just deleted his post. hehehehe

Thieves suck!

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Now there's two dollars shot to hell. MTBR just deleted his post. hehehehe

Thieves suck!
    I'd be careful with this one. I think that if you take the letters in the names "Tom Vallert" and "Nick Powell" you can spell out "I am Lord Voldemort." Not sure I want to mess with him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

... I guess you won't be
    hmmph!

the ad is gone again....stop messin' w/ my mind you Turner Pimp!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    hmmph!

the ad is gone again....stop messin' w/ my mind you Turner Pimp!
    Sorry Joker.

I contacted Derek and asked him to remove the ad before someone fell for it. My bad

Members who have read this thread: 0