3 weeks in Big Bear- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610

    3 weeks in Big Bear

    I got a pretty awesome opportunity to stay at the family cabin in Big Bear (which you can rent too!) for the better part of July. I couldn't exactly take 3 weeks off work but I since I telecommute, an internet connection was all I needed to make it happen. An hour or so of singletrack in the mornings before work is a great change of pace. Me and mrs. Superstock got to know the local trails pretty well on our morning rides. Chairlift on the weekend and some moto action too rounds it all out.

    Big Bear has a pathetic chairlift policy: no bikes with over 6 inches of travel, 35 pounds and 2.5 tires. They don't want DH bikes up there for whatever reason (insurance, wear and tear). There have been plenty of rants about this topic so I'm going to highlight the positives of this. You can build up a pretty mean 5 spot or RFX and slide in under the requirements.

    I put a coil shock on my 5 spot, some 2.5's (not really legal) and cranked my 55 all the way out (after I got to the top of the mountain). Its not a downhill bike but you can still attack the DH pretty seriously. The 2.5's really make a difference.

    Here is my Spot in DH dress:


    Still some clearance even with the 2.5's:


    Hit the lift with DT and my buddy Will. DT had his iron glimmer gray RFX with 2.5 DH tires, and Will is rocking a 6 spot with 2.35:


    Ran into my old teammate Maxine from the Simple Green/Turner days:


    The XC riding was a lot of fun. I had raced XC there a lot years back but hadn't ventured off the main courses. Me and missus going up to the lodgepole tree and siberia trail:




    Castle rock:





    Falline:



    View of San Gregornio:



    I took one of our cabin guests for some lift accessible riding. I put him on the 5 spot and snuck my DHR on the lift. I got chewed out for having too big of a bike but they let me go 'just this once'. Dylan the cabin guest had never ridden a full suspension bike. He is a surfer and a musician (his tunes are on the turner videos) and it was interesting to watch him 'surf' the 5 spot. I was impressed!



    Here are some video clips of the Flux, 5 Spot and DHR in action. As fast as I think I can make the spot go, there is no substitute for the DHR. Its a speed machine:

    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/q3Q2j1VP8PQ"> </param> <embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/q3Q2j1VP8PQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

    Back at the cabin, Dylan's son (left) and my son Tyler (right) pushing up the hill for another run:



    2 weeks down, 1 one more left!

    S

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clyde S Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,140
    superstock, nice post. I was riding with Maxine when that pic was taken with you and DT. It was only later I made the connection between your screen name and the green bike.

    Man was I glad the rain stopped. It turned out to be a great day (even though I forgot my shoes and had to ride in mocs). I'm jealous you've had so much time up there.


  3. #3
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,060
    Soo, if I had an RFX with 6.4" of travel, would they let me ride? What if I crank my TALAS down to 130, would they be fooled? I could runs some 2.0 tires to make up for it . . . .

    Those are some great pictures! Looks like a great vacation spot.

    EDIT: I see DT brought an 08 RFX. Question answered.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

  4. #4
    Sup?
    Reputation: honemastert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    639

    nice post

    hey.. thanks for sharing the photos and video!
    enjoy that last week up there man!

    as for me? I'll be samping some of that 'world class' KS flatland riding..
    (helping my parents move)

  5. #5
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Soo, if I had an RFX with 6.4" of travel, would they let me ride? What if I crank my TALAS down to 130, would they be fooled? I could runs some 2.0 tires to make up for it . . . .

    Those are some great pictures! Looks like a great vacation spot.

    EDIT: I see DT brought an 08 RFX. Question answered.
    Yeah, an RFX is no problem. They look at the front fork for suspension lengths anyways. They seem to be pretty lenient with single crown forks, its the dual crowns that they scrutinize.

    I think DT had the best setup, an RFX with 2.5's. He also had the rear shock i2i shortened by PUSH to drop the BB a bit.

    Heading over for some runs now.

    S

  6. #6
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    Very cool! Man, I haven't been to Big Bear in years and am tempted to head out there for a couple days...

  7. #7
    i can't type the letter s
    Reputation: mouse jockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,093
    I was just up in BB for the weekend of the 4th but I didn't ride the lifts. I was on the other side of the lake.

    We must have rode together some time in the past since I would run into the Honda Turner team from time to time and ride with you guys. That was awhile back though, before we all had kids (mine is two years old now). Have a good rest of the week!!

    tom

  8. #8
    Hisforever
    Reputation: SHAHEEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,732
    Sweet SS.

    Awesome as always!

  9. #9
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,060
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock

    I think DT had the best setup, an RFX with 2.5's. He also had the rear shock i2i shortened by PUSH to drop the BB a bit.
    Heresy!
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

  10. #10
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    Cool post SS love these shots, kids and bikes just sum it all up




    Ahh what i2i was DT running??

    spill spill
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,884
    Awesome pictures and videos as always!

    Thanks for posting.

  12. #12
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,874
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent


    Ahh what i2i was DT running??
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...6&postcount=10

  13. #13
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    Chur AW

    Love this qoute from DT


    peas in a pod
    <hr style="color: rgb(183, 183, 183);" size="1"> Don't be to obsessed with building a light RFX. Mine was pretty light, then I went with heavier single ply tires, but they were too tall with a 13.625 radius!!!! So the only thing laying around worthy of the RFX were some very used, 2.5 Maxxis 2 ply DH tires. I put them on for a day of chair riding with Superstock yesterday. WOW, heavy tires are a blast. 23 psi in front and about 28 in the rear. Never pinged a rim, and looked many a rock straight in the eye, what a blast
    From the man himself ! awesome, glad hes enjoyed the 2plys they rock Maxxis of course

    Interesting i2i sounds cool would love to see a pic of his bike now side on with that setup incl tires

    chur...
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  14. #14
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    superstock, nice post. I was riding with Maxine when that pic was taken with you and DT. It was only later I made the connection between your screen name and the green bike.

    Man was I glad the rain stopped. It turned out to be a great day (even though I forgot my shoes and had to ride in mocs). I'm jealous you've had so much time up there.
    You'll have to introduce yourself next time. What bike were you on? Marshall Willanholy and his SO was there too.

    The rain delay was a drag but those tacky conditions were incredible! Its rained a couple times since then but nothing like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    Sweet SS.

    Awesome as always!
    Thanks! Hit the lift yesterday with a local Pro and rode some new stuff that I hadn't ridden before. Bummer, no pics.

    S

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    You'll have to introduce yourself next time. What bike were you on? Marshall Willanholy and his SO was there too.

    The rain delay was a drag but those tacky conditions were incredible! Its rained a couple times since then but nothing like that.



    Thanks! Hit the lift yesterday with a local Pro and rode some new stuff that I hadn't ridden before. Bummer, no pics.

    S
    hey, i saw you up there that day, too. We hung out for the rain delay and got rewarded with some of the best conditions.

    any way you'd let us in on some of those new trails? or should i pm you?
    nothing witty here...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clyde S Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    You'll have to introduce yourself next time. What bike were you on? Marshall Willanholy and his SO was there too.
    I was riding the white RFX/Spot . I was there with Marshall Willanholly, cbHarping, and Maxine. Next time I see you I'll definately say hi.

    We went again last Sunday. Less rain, but good trail conditions. Bummer the Marines closed Colin Bailey.

    [photos: cbHarping]




    Last edited by Clyde S Dale; 07-28-2008 at 10:17 AM.


  17. #17
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    Why were so many of you up there last week? Coincidence, or was there something going on? What are the lift tickets going for these days?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,148
    Not bashing, but are you sure you know which trail is Colins? The sign says lower fall line which I can understand as it's a signed trail, Colin is not.

    nothing witty here...

  19. #19
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,444
    Thanks for the stoke, looks like a great time!

    I totally dig the list-assist areas from a family perspective. Last whistler trip for me was 2-3hr morning sessions in the bike park, followed by afternoons with the fam, towing my 3-yr old around the valley trails on her trail-a-bike, attached to the highline.


    Good to see DT's drinking the 7-3/4" shock kook-aid on the RFX too

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clyde S Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    Not bashing, but are you sure you know which trail is Colins? The sign says lower fall line which I can understand as it's a signed trail, Colin is not.
    Since the USMC notice is right at the start of an unsigned trail, no, I can't say for sure. I think the sign is telling riders that Lower Falline continues to the East, its not marking Lower Falline. Of the three trails that I know that can be accessed right from the vicinity of the sign, the one that appears to be closed was the the most fun for me, followed by Number 3 (over the fallen tree, behind and to the left), and Lower Falline (a log roller at the start, a quarter mile or so from the sign above) was the least fun mostly 'cause its so short.

    I hope you're right about the trail being closed for a training day (ridemonkey).


  21. #21
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    Why were so many of you up there last week? Coincidence, or was there something going on? What are the lift tickets going for these days?
    No Big Bear Homer Convention, just coincidence.

    Lift tix are 20 bucks for all day. They claim to be taking a loss on the summer lift operations but its a way to keep the ski employees there year round. Also they hope that if people come there in the summer, they'll be more likely to come back in the winter.

  22. #22
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    hey, i saw you up there that day, too. We hung out for the rain delay and got rewarded with some of the best conditions.

    any way you'd let us in on some of those new trails? or should i pm you?

    I don't think 'no spandex' is a big secret, its right off 2N51 just past dick's trail but that's all you'll get out of me!

    Here are some shots from it this morning:

    Log ride on dick's:



    A double on No Spandex:



    A cool uphill log ride on No Spandex:





    I got some new video clips too that I'll add to the existing video. Stay tuned.

    S

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Since the USMC notice is right at the start of an unsigned trail, no, I can't say for sure. I think the sign is telling riders that Lower Falline continues to the East, its not marking Lower Falline. Of the three trails that I know that can be accessed right from the vicinity of the sign, the one that appears to be closed was the the most fun for me, followed by Number 3 (over the fallen tree, behind and to the left), and Lower Falline (a log roller at the start, a quarter mile or so from the sign above) was the least fun mostly 'cause its so short.

    I hope you're right about the trail being closed for a training day (ridemonkey).
    Well, that really sucks. Seems like there's no rhyme or reason to a lot of the decisions being made at SS so I guess we just get to roll with the punches. Eventually we're going to get a legitimate lift access park in SoCal.

    Anyhow, I'm going back up there this weekend if anybody else is going we can plan a search and rescue mission on Colin, the marines should be OK with that.

    BTW, my 6point with rims and tires from my DHR is a great bike up there. It would be a lot more fun if it was lower and slacker tho...
    nothing witty here...

  24. #24
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    More great shotz SS, looks like a stunning day going by the light STOKING hawt

    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  25. #25
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    I'm planning on heading up Thursday. I just gotta try and find the name of the place I used to stay at; they had nice cabins at a good price. I'm also open to suggestions for places to stay.

    I'll keep an eye out for Turners...

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby Peru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    474
    Great thread and pics and videos! I sure wish that I could have met you up there. However, me and the crew are headed up to Northstar for four days of DH bliss. Hopefully I can get my other bike and make it into a Big Bear "stealth" bike. Single crown long travel fork on my Bullit should do the trick! Very nice read, bro. We should hook up after you get back. Are you doing your annual Whistler trip too?
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

    ~Jerry Jeff Walker~

  27. #27
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    Great thread and pics and videos! I sure wish that I could have met you up there. However, me and the crew are headed up to Northstar for four days of DH bliss. Hopefully I can get my other bike and make it into a Big Bear "stealth" bike. Single crown long travel fork on my Bullit should do the trick! Very nice read, bro. We should hook up after you get back. Are you doing your annual Whistler trip too?
    Right on. Sean (scene603) just got back from N* and said it was really good. He thought their A-line run rivals Whistler's.

    I'm heading to Whistler with Sean August 14 thru 21st. Any one else gunna be up there?

    S

  28. #28
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610

    Gotta turn the cabin keys back in cause times up

    Here are a couple shots from this morning's final ride down Cabin 89:





    I updated the video with some new clips and added trail names.

    Big Bear Video Montage:

    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yjgwgrWFhFk"> </param> <embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yjgwgrWFhFk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

    Hopefully we'll get up there again before the snow comes.

    S

  29. #29
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,763
    Good stuff, the more I explore around up there the more I seem to find. So far they seem to be breaking there own rules all the time by letting big bikes on the lift. But I am sure that changes when powers to be are hanging around. A few weeks back STR went up there with a group of over 60 riders they welcomed us with open arms, gave us all day passes for $10 and put any bike we wanted on the lift.

    Dean

  30. #30
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    Nice!

    I'm hoping to get up there this weekend.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vinz132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    165
    What time are the lifts openning?

    Can we park near the lifts? I'm not carrying a backpack so I need to have my water and tools not that far.... or do I need to buy a Camel?

  32. #32
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    The lift opens at 9 and is right by the parking lot. There is also a food stand at the top of the lift that is open during lunch.

    All the info on bike requirements can be found here.

    S

  33. #33
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,874
    three weeks, nice.
    Did you get to ride the DHR much?

    dstepper, that was cool how the treated you. How many total customers on the mountain that day? How many on the busiest days?

  34. #34
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    I'm here! Got off to a pretty bad start Tuesday night. I lost my power steering pump on the way up the mountain, in the middle of a turn at 50 mph! The good news is I didn't crash and was only 3 miles from Running Springs so the tow didn't cost anything with AAA. The bad news is the $470.00 to replace the pump ($320.00 for the pump from the dealer) and only getting 2 hours on the mountain the first day.

    Though it has been a good 10 to 15 years since the last time I was here, I remember it like it was yesterday. I've ridden just about everything with Fall Line being my favorite. Everything here is pretty much intermediate level stuff except for 1 trail to the left off Fall Line (Bailey's?) that is pretty gnar. There weren't any fresh tire, and I was only able to clean sections of it.

    I'll try and post up some trail pics when I get back next week (I decided to stick around an extra day for the car show this weekend). l In the meantime, here's a sunset shot I got last night from 2N08 above the lake:


  35. #35
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    You're probably referring to Cables. I rode errr walked it on Sunday. Some parts go up the gulley but there isn't a trail.

  36. #36
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    You're probably referring to Cables. I rode errr walked it on Sunday. Some parts go up the gulley but there isn't a trail.

    No, this is a trail. It lets out at chair 7. You then follow the blue fence up the hill where it picks up again and ends up at a service road. Since the service road is off-limits to bikes (ski side of the mountain), I walked it down to chair 10, then road out through Pineknot campground. It was by far the most difficult trail there and I was only able to ride about 2/3rd's of it. One of the guys working the lift told me it was Bailey's:





    I was having too much fun to get many pics of the downhill stuff. This is one of a few ways to what I think is Milkshake:




    The last couple of days I did some cross country rides after the chair closed at 4 PM. Here are a few grabs of the surrounding scenery:

    2N10 heading toward Grand View Point:


    Off to the side of 2N10:


    Unmarked trail off 2N10 that connects to 2N17:


    2N17 heading toward Cabin 89:


    Top of Cabin 89:

  37. #37
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    Deadbolt, that is different from what we rode. Looks way more rideable and fun!

    Where do you catch that trails?

    Baileys now has a sign on it, posted by the Marines that is off limits now.

  38. #38
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    No, this is a trail. It lets out at chair 7. You then follow the blue fence up the hill where it picks up again and ends up at a service road. Since the service road is off-limits to bikes (ski side of the mountain), I walked it down to chair 10, then road out through Pineknot campground. It was by far the most difficult trail there and I was only able to ride about 2/3rd's of it. One of the guys working the lift told me it was Bailey's:




    That is indeed Cables. I only rode the bottom part of it, the top is pretty gnar on a trailbike but pretty fun on a DH.

    Great shots, thanks for posting Robert. Looks like you had a pretty fun trip.

    S

  39. #39
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610

    Got back up there for another day of riding

    Headed back up to Big Bear Lake for another day of lift assisted fun. I hadn't been there since my stay and wanted to get some more riding up there before the snow comes. Weather - absolutely perfect. Dirt - powdery, loose, dusty. Both are typical Big Bear attributes. Once you get used to the drift of the moondust, it starts getting pretty fun.

    Non-DWL 5 spot ride photos:

    Drop on Colin's/Falline:


    Logride on Dick's:





    Drop on Milkshake:


    Turn on Falline:




    Bad news: No Spandex is shut down. Lots of logs placed all over the trail, berms hacked and double jump leveled. Bummer.
    Worse news: There is a sign that stated next summer they will only allow one trip on lift and/or only pure XC bikes. It looks like the Forrest Service is not happy with the new trails (like No Spandex). Major Bummer.





    Socal forum thread on this

    We'll see if I have to ride this on the Flux next year or can still rock the Spot or possibly a DWRFX ...

    S

  40. #40
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    Berms and doubles hacked up on No Spandex, that is a real shame.

  41. #41
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    Bad news: No Spandex is shut down. Lots of logs placed all over the trail, berms hacked and double jump leveled. Bummer.
    Worse news: There is a sign that stated next summer they will only allow one trip on lift and/or only pure XC bikes. It looks like the Forrest Service is not happy with the new trails (like No Spandex). Major Bummer.
    That is a drag. Too bad they don't put more effort into marking the trails (many times I had no idea which trail I was on - legal or not).


    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    Drop on Milkshake:
    The approach to that drop is bad enough, the landing is even worse! Good Job!

  42. #42
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    I've got a buddy that does that Milkshake drop on his hardtail which is crazy. Earlier in the summer he did it when the dead fell tree was sticking out on the landing. Which made it even more hairball. He launched it after we cut the dead tree away.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.