3 letter acronym search - AWWWWW (RFX DHX FOX VPP ...)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well 3 letter acronym search - AWWWWW (RFX DHX FOX VPP ...)

MTBR - anything you can do about not being able to search for short 3 letter words/acronyms? Its just SO limiting not being able to! All the interesting stuff has 3-letters acronyms...
    Sad to get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." each time.

RFX (my favorite bike and I can't search it directly in the MTBR search)
    DHX
    RC4
    XTR
    FOX
    WTB
    DHF / DHR
    VPP
    FSR
    LSC / HSC

And the list goes on and on...
    Sure some people use the long notations ("low speed compression") but so many others don't - can't find great posts later via search .
    And sure you can Google with site:forums.mtbr.com is a partial success, but the MTBR search is so much better (more relevant search options etc).

I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the MTBR search would be so much more capable with short word search support... Any chance? Anyone agree?
    Last edited by tald; 08-08-2009 at 02:14 AM.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Use Google with the "site:forums.mtbr.com" added as a term. That lets you search for words of three letters and less.

Why did you post this in the Turner forum?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    1. Googling with site:forums.mtbr.com is a partial success. The MTBR search is so much better (more relevant search options etc).
    2. The Turner forum question is easy - no place else I'll get better comments (or flames ). And the fact that I can't decently search for "RFX" is the base for my rants... And I have a wild guess that the acronym search thing bugs homers more than other users here.
    Last edited by tald; 08-08-2009 at 02:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    MTBR - anything you can do about not being able to search for short 3 letter words/acronyms? Its just SO limiting not being able to! All the interesting stuff has 3-letters acronyms...
    Sad to get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." each time.

RFX (my favorite bike and I can't search it directly in the MTBR search)
    DHX
    RC4
    XTR
    FOX
    WTB
    DHF / DHR
    VPP
    FSR
    LSC / HSC

And the list goes on and on...

Anyone agree?
    Yes, I do agree. As it is, the search function is pretty useless for a surprisingly large number of products (and google is only marginally better).

I asked the same question here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=198622

Apparently the site administrator feels the search function is "perfect" as it is (his word, not mine).

I understand the need to limit searches somehow to help keep the site running smoothly. However, I'm not sure that one effective search uses more resources than 20 ineffective searches. I would think they could find a better solution (such increasing the time you must wait between searches, or allowing certain common terms such as those listed above).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks. I revived that thread as well. Computers & memory are much faster and cheaper than 3 years ago when that thread was created. There's just go to be a good technical solution that would open up this option.
    Go MTBR!!!

jrm
    mtbr member

use google

[it works alot better

Members who have read this thread: 0