29er Turner?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 29er Turner?

  1. #1
    what a joke
    Reputation: ozlongboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,277

    29er Turner?

    Any chance of seeing a 4" travel 29er Turner in the future? Would any body else be interested in this? In the new anodized orange of course
    blah blah blah

  2. #2
    jl
    jl is offline
    climb
    Reputation: jl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,292
    I'd be interested, orange, yellow, pink pick any color...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,040

    Sign me up too...

    ...maybe we should start an e-petition?

    Sean
    Professional Amateur

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,612

    29

    No 29 in the pipe, no plans for it whatsoever. We tested 2 rigid steel single speeds by the same builder with the same tubing, with the same effective gearing, both equipped with the same brand and model of tires, one bike 29 and one 26 inch wheels. The 29er had a cool feel as I rode it off and on for a couple months and I started to think the 29 ideology may be worth pursuing in suspension. Then I switched to the 26" wheeled bike and was more pleased, over all, on the first ride. There was a couple situations where the 29er felt better, but not nearly as many as it would take to make me want to build a suspended one. So, that was the end of the testing. I bartered away the fillet brazed Wulff 29 single speed and kept the 26er.

    No e-petition needed. 'nuff said.

    David Turner

  5. #5
    what a joke
    Reputation: ozlongboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,277

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    No 29 in the pipe, no plans for it whatsoever. We tested 2 rigid steel single speeds by the same builder with the same tubing, with the same effective gearing, both equipped with the same brand and model of tires, one bike 29 and one 26 inch wheels. The 29er had a cool feel as I rode it off and on for a couple months and I started to think the 29 ideology may be worth pursuing in suspension. Then I switched to the 26" wheeled bike and was more pleased, over all, on the first ride. There was a couple situations where the 29er felt better, but not nearly as many as it would take to make me want to build a suspended one. So, that was the end of the testing. I bartered away the fillet brazed Wulff 29 single speed and kept the 26er.

    No e-petition needed. 'nuff said.

    David Turner
    No harm in asking! Thanks for the reply
    blah blah blah

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Any chance of seeing a 4" travel 29er Turner in the future? Would any body else be interested in this? In the new anodized orange of course
    I'd buy one in a heartbeat. My next bike will be a full squish 29er, and 4" would be perfect with the 29" wheels. Man, I start salivating just thinking about it.

    Ventana will do a custom 29er but it will cost you, to say the least. Then there's the whole Horst Link issue, which along with the carbon fiber stays also rule out the Fisher Sugar for me. That pretty much leaves the Titus Racer-X, which has a bit less travel than I would prefer, but would be the obvious choice were I buying today.

    Props to DT for at least checking out the 29er thing himself though.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,201
    Not sure what my next bike will be, except that it WILL be 29. So I WON'T be buying from Turner. One more lost customer...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    Not sure what my next bike will be, except that it WILL be 29. So I WON'T be buying from Turner. One more lost customer...
    LOL! I'm sure Dave can't build a bike to suit every one of his potential customers whims - he'd be out of business in a jiffy!

    If you fancy big wheels try a cyclocross frame - I have a nice one from Vicious just built up. Turner make wonderful 26"ers, be happy that they've nailed that particular niche.

    Last edited by Deano; 07-12-2004 at 04:01 PM.
    'The Fear' is your friend...

  9. #9
    .
    Reputation: frank n. beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804

    nevermind

    Deano (above) posted my thoughts exactly.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    LOL! I'm sure Dave can't build a bike to suit every one of his potential customers whims - he'd be out of business in a jiffy!

    If you fancy big wheels try a cyclocross frame - I have a nice one from Vicious just built up. Turner make wonderful 26"ers, be happy that they've nailed that particular niche.

    I'm sure you comprehend the difference between a cross bike and 29er, much less a full suspension 29er, so I'll assume that was just a good natured jibe.

    You're right though in noting that Turner has gotten where they are by sticking to what they know and do best. Be it the Horst Link suspension, the bushings, or the performance before weight approach, a Turner wouldn't be a Turner if they bought into every idea du jour and didn't stick to their guns.

    I just happen to believe, along with plenty of others, that 29" wheels are an idea whose time has come. If we're right then it soon it won't be a case of building 29" bikes to fill a niche, but to stay competitive, just like companies were doing with full suspension ten years ago. Until then I'll gladly ride my 26" Turner, however much I might wish for a 29" version.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    343

    Indeed a gentle jibe

    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I'm sure you comprehend the difference between a cross bike and 29er, much less a full suspension 29er, so I'll assume that was just a good natured jibe.

    You're right though in noting that Turner has gotten where they are by sticking to what they know and do best. Be it the Horst Link suspension, the bushings, or the performance before weight approach, a Turner wouldn't be a Turner if they bought into every idea du jour and didn't stick to their guns.

    I just happen to believe, along with plenty of others, that 29" wheels are an idea whose time has come. If we're right then it soon it won't be a case of building 29" bikes to fill a niche, but to stay competitive, just like companies were doing with full suspension ten years ago. Until then I'll gladly ride my 26" Turner, however much I might wish for a 29" version.
    I hope the smileys in my original post indicated the light-humoured nature of it. Clearly I understand the difference between a 'crosser and a 29er (I've spent a little time on a Karate Monkey, so I have a small amount of experience of how a 29er handles).

    Personally I think 29ers will always be niche, like singlespeeds (I have one of those) as many trails are just more fun and more easily ridden on with 26" wheels - the trade off is between manouverability (sp?) and the smooth 'high-roller' nature of the 29er. Obviously this is my own opinion, but I honestly believe it's how things will pan out.

    Hopefully someone other than Fisher will do a 29er full-susser to give you and others some options (there may be some already that I'm sure you'd know about).

    Good luck
    'The Fear' is your friend...

Similar Threads

  1. Cuervo / DHR / V10 review (long)
    By Scott@GO-RIDE.com in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 10:03 AM
  2. 29er geometry, weight, sizing questions
    By uphiller in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 01:06 AM
  3. Padre's 29er tire report from the Sea Otter...
    By Padre in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 05:19 AM
  5. What Is The Best? V10 Or El Cuervo??
    By gabri3ride in forum Ventana
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.