27 Ø seat post for small Spots?- Mtbr.com
    Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003

New question here. 27 Ø seat post for small Spots?

Could there be a difference in seat post Ø between Small Spots and other sizes. Build up my better half her Spot and found that a 27.2 fits really tight (close to impossible tight). The first few rides we used an old Control Tech seat post, today the Thomson arrived and it will barely go in………..even harder go out.

Now I’m thinking might the smalls use a 27.0 instead of a 27.2?

mad aussie

you must have an out of spec seattube

I have a small, and it uses a 27.2 which fits fine. Contact Turner or your LBS to check.

what a joke

27.2 Thomson is

not actually 27.2 Its just a hair under according to a bike mechanic I was talking to who went to the Thomson factory. Apparently they don't like there posts getting scratched up when inserted into the seat tube! Not that this info is much help to you
    blah blah blah

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Thanks!

I just received an answer from Turner and it’s def. 27.2. It seems to go slow where the rocker link is welded to the seat tube. I will have it honed at my LBS……..

Cheers,

mtbr member

Had the same with my Large, plus.......

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi
    Could there be a difference in seat post Ø between Small Spots and other sizes. Build up my better half her Spot and found that a 27.2 fits really tight (close to impossible tight). The first few rides we used an old Control Tech seat post, today the Thomson arrived and it will barely go in………..even harder go out.

Now I’m thinking might the smalls use a 27.0 instead of a 27.2?

drill filings in the seat tube. I wasn't pleased when the Thomson got hung up and a long z shaped scratch was put into the seat post. After I told Turner, this is what I did. I hung the bike upside down and blew out the filings and washed down the inside seat tube. Then I started with 320 then 400 then 600 wet dry sandpaper and sanded down the inside of the seat tube. Cleaned thoroughly and the Thomson went in.
    Best of luck.
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Before I got the seat tube honed I decided to use an old 27.2 Kalloy post (we didn't care to get that one scratched) we had lying around so my better half could do some test riding. This was a big mistake…..the damn thing got stuck…….would no go out……dead lock.

Tried every trick I and my LBS could think up…….finally had to use the hack saw…well my LBS used the hack saw. Got the post out and discovered several bumps from the welding in the inside of the seat tube. Honed the seat tube and now the seat post goes in and out no problemo.

Quite an adventure……………luckily we’ve still got two months of summer left. My better half will take Spot on the first serious ride this weekend. After this adventure we sure hope it’s going to be a great ride………we might post some pics in a few weeks or so.

Happy trails,