mtbr member
    Feb 2005

22-36t work on a dw 5 spot?

I'm planning on using my m770 xt cranks with 22-36t and bash with a M667 SLX bottom swing front derailleur. Will this derailleur fit on the dw link 5 spot?

Thanks for any input.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I run a SLX double with 36-22 and a SLX double front derailleur. Go on to Turner's site as they have a video about how to cut off part of the derailleur for clearance...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks! I just wanted to know before I started to strip the parts off my old bike.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Works great! The SLX is a dual pull derailleur and it has to be cut. Two minutes hacksaw job

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    FYI,

I tried it and it looks like the SLX M667 just barely clears the bottom weld with almost no room left to spare on the seat tube, when the derailleur cage is at the optimal position above the 36t chainring.

bump and grind
    36-22, Blackspire stinger and good.
    I ran an old 9 speed XT derailleur with it and you have to set the low limit screw pretty close or you will notice some dropped chains when shifting from 36 to 22 in certain situations. But I liked the gear range.

I suppose the chain dropping should be less of a problem using the new 10 speed double specific front derailleurs.

mtbr member
    I've been running 2x10 w/ xx shifters. I'm still getting lots of chain drop w/ 24-36 and 26-38 rings and a mid-cage x0 derailleur. I've read some of the SRAM derailleurs have weak springs but the long-term solution seems to be some sort of dual ring guide like the e.13 DRS.

I have an 2010 Spot but unless the gusset has changed (thus affecting how long the derailleur can mount) I'm surprised you're not getting chain rub on the f. derailleur with a 22t chainring.

mtbr member
    I switched form a sram xx front mech to shimano xtr and that stopped the chain drop

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm running a 20/36 with bash and a blackspire stinger chainguide. Shifts flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post
    I switched form a sram xx front mech to shimano xtr and that stopped the chain drop
    Interesting. I made the same switch from xx to xtr. Both shifted fine w/ e.13 rings but I'm still getting chain drop and slap with the xtr. Maybe not as bad since the xtr f. derailleur mounts lower and closer to the chainrings but it's still there. Relatively new xo r. derailleur as well. The chain is the minimum length you can get by with and still be in big-big.

The other odd thing is the chain slap is much worse with an air shock than coil. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running 2x10 22-36T and love it for those long steep grinders. I sometimes get chain drop but I think it's because of the drop from 36 to 22 is more than the standard derailleurs are intended to handle. It might be time for me to get a chain tensioner.

Rockman. I can believe getting more chain slap on your air shock as it's not a plush and compliant as the coil. Hence more bouncing around, especially on the small high speed bumps.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    rockman, 26/38 and a 36, Sram recommend a large cage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanderson View Post
    I'm running a 20/36 with bash and a blackspire stinger chainguide. Shifts flawlessly.
    interesting enough......so am i. Actually surprised it worked well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    rockman, 26/38 and a 36, Sram recommend a large cage
    The max capacity on SRAM X0 midcage and long cage is 39T and 47T, respectively. Either way, the chain slap and bouncing around has more to do with the chain hitting the front derailleur rather than the elevated chain stay on the dw-link spot.