2014 Czar - Fox Float CTD - Repair or Alternatives ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2014 Czar - Fox Float CTD - Repair or Alternatives ??

In May I had the rear shock (Fox Float CTD Kashima 165◊38) on my 2014 Turner Czar serviced for the first time (I had done a few air can services) which cost me £100.
    I had 4-5 rides on it in June & then at the weekend jumped on it to find the shock bottoming out. The shock had lost approx. 80 psi.
    I contacted the servicer who asked for it back & on receipt pointed out a chip on the body & a burr that had damaged the seal. Iíve been quoted £154 for a new body, service & shipping.

Before I fork out again are there better alternatives for not much more outlay?

What about a Manitou McLeod?

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    the dps fox shock is a large improvement over the ctd if you can find one for the right price..

mtbr member
    The McLeod is a great shock if you are using the bike for general trail riding. The shock does not lock out completely and if you are looking for a pure XC shock to lock out on climbs, this is not your shock.

With that in mind, I run a Mcleod on both my bikes (5-Spot and Ripley) and really like the ride they give. No stupid pressures needed or special pumping techniques to equalize chambers. Just set sag and go. The rebound is effective and the compression adjusters make a difference (but may not lead to lockout on your bike). Easy to rebuild and choice of two air can sizes. For a turner, I recommend the king can as Turners tend to be very progressive and it may be hard to get full travel out of the standard can.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Elitest thrill junkie
    McLeod is a gamble. Manitou's hardware doesn't work on mine and it's too loose (falls out of the shock), resulting in play and knocking when installed. I can't run it until Manitou can supply hardware that works. Other users have reported the same issues.

I'm not sure what the basis is for the comment "turners are very progressive", they are tuned for air shocks, which means they fall off towards the end of travel, assuming the air-shock will take over. If turners were "very progressive", then you'd need to be running a coil shock, not an air shock.

That said, for a Fox shock, I would only trust Push and Fox to service it and Push and Avalanche to tune it. I've seen the instructions for servicing Fox stuff. Not a problem if you have the equipment, but the chances of the shop having all the equipment and following the steps is slim IME. Push is top notch IME.

I would never have a local shop service a fox fork/shock.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Geez louise, you always have to be so contrary. Call it what you will, Turners have a progressive suspension design. You might have issues getting full travel with the stock can so a king can might work better.

To the OP, if you want a Mcleod, just order one from Dirt Merchant. Get a 6.5 x 1.5 shock and tell him what reducers you need. Remove old shock and install new shock. Simple.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Geez louise, you always have to be so contrary. Call it what you will, Turners have a progressive suspension design. You might have issues getting full travel with the stock can so a king can might work better.

To the OP, if you want a Mcleod, just order one from Dirt Merchant. Get a 6.5 x 1.5 shock and tell him what reducers you need. Remove old shock and install new shock. Simple.
    I'm just telling it like it is, not sugar coating it. Sorry. Turners are not overly progressive bikes. Although you can run a coil on some of them, it's not optimal due to the leverage ratio, specifically because they are not very progressive bikes. Maybe back in the day when most shocks were coil, they were more progressive, which would make sense, but not in 2019.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.