200mm Rotors Pros and Cons- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm 200mm Rotors Pros and Cons

Can someone tell me what are the pros and cons if i wanna use 200mm rotors with my formula the one brakes on my 5 spot?

rr
    I don't do PC
    This is the Turner board dude, you will not get any 'cons' on running DH brakes on a trail bike. I would list a few but then 10 homers would chime in and disagree with me and you would still end up buying the big rotors

mtbr member
    There are no issues with fitting them they will go on fine.
    That is a lot of brake though,I have been going down in disk size with these calipers.
    Stay off the brakes

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    This is the Turner board dude, you will not get any 'cons' on running DH brakes on a trail bike. I would list a few but then 10 homers would chime in and disagree with me and you would still end up buying the big rotors
    Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't seen 203 vented V2's on Fluxes and Nitrouses. 203 is the old 140.

To top it off, Highlines with Totems are now getting bar ends for superb climbing ability.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Wouldn't run 200 on the rear on a Spot or RFX. On a Highline, perhaps. If you do run a 200 rear, I'll bet you have issues with the rear locking up.

You will need some steep DH to bed them in properly (according to Formula).

I run 200F/180R with MEGAs @ a BWT of 250, and find the 180R has more than enough power.
    Last edited by TLL; 07-30-2008 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Way too much brake for trail riding - I have 180mm k18s which are plenty. Plus you'll likely bend 200mm rotors every other ride. Unless you are racing Peaty and Sam Hill every week I would get 180mm rotors and k24s.

mtbr member
    203 on the front of my XC built 5-Pack. Love it. Is it too much? Absolutely. Will I downsize? No. Any problems? None, other than it's 37.43 grams too heavy.

Bring Back Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole
    203 on the front of my XC built 5-Pack. Love it. Is it too much? Absolutely. Will I downsize? No. Any problems? None, other than it's 37.43 grams too heavy.
    I agree.
    I've got 203's on both my 5-spot & RFX. One's hope M4's, the other's Formula K24's. Formula's are much more powerful, but for the minimal weight gain in both cases - I reckon it's well worth it.

banned
    I run a 203 V2 Vented up front on my 06 RFX. Not that I need that much power, but I can modulate it, so why not? It's heavy with that disc, but I built both our bikes to be Alps-ready, and I'm figuring the V2 vented is a must. I run a 183 M4 on the back and don't long for anything more. It is so easy to control the power that I can prevent skidding most of the time, if not all the time, but a lockup isn't too far off the mark. I need no more power in the back, even for long descents.

I also like coming to near trackstand speeds on singletrack, so the more powerful brakes are nice to have.

mtbr member
    Using The Ones on my '08 5.5 Spot - 180mm F / 160mm R

tbh - these sizes are perfect for general trail riding, you won't need more.

However I feel I could have used a 200mm F / 180mm R while at Whistler as I was definitely underbraked - however, considering I rode everything on a Spot I was also underbiked(!) :-)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    pro: power!
    con: too much power?

pro: bling!
    con: too much bling?

pro: expensive!
    con: like theres a downside to that?

pro: you have power tools!
    con: fit in the rear tri may be tough?
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    There's also allot of Euro/Uk homers out there and they ride massive steeps that go on for ages not all downhill, use what works for ya base, I woulda thought 200 FnR would be overkill on any terrain, never felt the need for bigger in the rear though I ran one on the DH bike cause of the stupid saint setup!

Spot 160/180 rear should be heaps depending on brake! 200 if ya need, I think Magura still do a 190mm but what the heck might as well go 200 if ya runnning Forumla's!

Personal pref, same on my RFX mines got a 203/180 combo but only cause I use my front wheels on multiple bikes [DH to AM/FR] so easy to keep one rotor size, 180 up front is more than enough for me with my brakes though, when im back riding again I may drop to a 180/180 combo for awhile! I can do front wheel wheelies on my Spot with 180mm rotor no issues!

What model Forumal's are you running, you should use mostly front brake so if you are in Europe 200/180 should be sweet! if ya fork can handle it
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm 220 and have 203/185mm Juicies on the front of my Spot. I don't think it's too much. On the other hand I just got in from Mount Washington on Vancouver Island from 4 hrs of lift riding on steep, rocky, rooty, and muddy runs with my new 203/200mm The One's mounted on my Highline. Great DH brakes although the mountain only has about 2000' of vertical so fade probably wouldn't have been an issue on the old Juicies. If you're a clyde go big up front, if not then maybe 180mm will work.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I'm 220 and have 203/185mm Juicies on the front of my Spot. I don't think it's too much. On the other hand I just got in from Mount Washington on Vancouver Island from 4 hrs of lift riding on steep, rocky, rooty, and muddy runs with my new 203/200mm The One's mounted on my Highline. Great DH brakes although the mountain only has about 2000' of vertical so fade probably wouldn't have been an issue on the old Juicies. If you're a clyde go big up front, if not then maybe 180mm will work.
    I am almost as heavy as you Gerry - I had Juicy' 7's before the K18s. The Juicy's are crap in comparison. I think 180 is plenty but would the OP be locked up for putting 200mm rotors on a spot - no!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    wow thank you for all you opinions.... I think with the terrain i am riding i either be going for the 180F/160R or the 200F/180R

thank you so much.....

mtbr member
    I guess it no longer matters what fork it is on

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I weigh 210 and another 15 for water pack and spandex (soaking wet). RFX weighs about 34 pounds. Tires are 2.35 Nevegals on Mavic 729 rims. I have 203's front and rear. Front is a Saint hub, rear is a Hone hub.

I like it. Yeah, I can lock up the rear wheel, but it takes a bit of pull to do that so as long as I don't get all in a bunch when I brake its fine. And I kinda like being able to have that much braking power without pulling the levers to the bars.

Maybe I'm flirting with something bad, but it seems appropriate so far for fat tires and heavy ride weight.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I noticed today that even in the mud the rear 200mm brake did not lock up. The Ones are very easy to modulate.

whatever you say, tree face! how ya doin?
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Get a Highline

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Get a Highline
    Fo, how did you get TA's account?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Fo, how did you get TA's account?

Got chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm all healed up and looking purty again. 1 week of xc in Bend and Hood River Oregon, and 2 weeks Olympia Washington riding Capitol Forest. I,m in Vernon BC til Monday to ride Silverstar resort. 7 weeks of holiday are almost up, I'm back to work on Wednesday

TLL
    mtbr member
    I noticed today that even in the mud the rear 200mm brake did not lock up. The Ones are very easy to modulate.
    200m Front or Rear? I would not expect the fronts to lock up as much.

But truthfully, for NStar duties, I just may add a 200m rear on the RFX. Regardless, I'll be underbiked

Anytime. Anywhere.
    200m Front or Rear? I would not expect the fronts to lock up as much.

But truthfully, for NStar duties, I just may add a 200m rear on the RFX. Regardless, I'll be underbiked

200mm rear. 185 had always been enough brake on the rear but I figure the larger rotor will dissipate heat faster.

trail fairy
    hes riding a 5 spot

get a highline

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

just got done doin a lift assisted dh race on a very steep hill with a 203/180 venti combo which was about perfect for a 165 lb wussy on a '07 rfx. food for thought.
    No, I'm NOT back!

you? pretty? dont forget, weve seen yer pic. never the less, im quite glad to hear things are cool and yer still out there kickin ass. thats pretty ballsy after a hit like yers. i now see how well the avitar combo fits ya.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Power of the One is nothing compared to the Power of the Chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    200mm rear. 185 had always been enough brake on the rear but I figure the larger rotor will dissipate heat faster.
    Good point. I of course defer to your superior judgement, as you ride a HL and I measly RFX.

trail fairy
    Good point. I of course defer to your superior judgement, as you ride a HL and I measly RFX.
    RFX is the new Highline..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    No, the Flux is the new DHR and the Highline (with bar ends and a Pike) is the new Nitrous.

Lay off the Levers
    I've been running 203 Rotors up front on my Spot since '03
    I don't see an issue here.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

Idea! At your weight, it seems like..........

.....overkill. Contact patch, as in tire width on the ground, makes more sense to me. I am running 180/160 rotors on my RFX and 200/180 rotors on my DH bike at 200 lbs. riding weight. I run 2.5's F&R on the RFX and 2.7's on the DH bike.

I seem to be able to stop my 43 lb. Demo 8 on a dime and give you $.09 change everytime!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

[QUOTE=Bikezilla]I've been running 203 Rotors up front on my Spot since '03
    [QUOTE]
    yeah, but you weigh a 1/8th of a ton too.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    [quote=cactuscorn][quote=Bikezilla]I've been running 203 Rotors up front on my Spot since '03
    yeah, but you weigh a 1/8th of a ton too.

And running Shimano...

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Gravity Rides Everything
    i've been running the same 200mm mono M4 front and 180 mm rear on trail bikes for the last 4 years. same rotors too.

currently installed on my 5 spot. work great.

Members who have read this thread: 0