2009 Turner's- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2009 Turner's

mtbr member

2009 Turner's

Some nice looking stuff starting to surface from the Big Box Brands (Trek,Fisher,Specialized...ect.) The new Intense Tracer looks Sawweet Too! Any gouge on the new 5 Spot or RFX for 09?

Anyone...anyone?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    no gouge that im aware of. as usual, ya pay for what ya get includin a semi big box. frame sized if ya must know the truth.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    mtbr member
    Not saying it's right/wrong/better/worse, but ever ponder why the "big box brands" are releasing their info so soon?

Of course it's because, after the frames are designed, they have to choose the component specs for each "full bike" model, negotiate in advance the quantities and prices for those components, as well as manage design and fabrication for any "house brands", plus budget time and money for assembly, packaging and shipping to get all those bikes ready to sell for Spring of next year, plus have prototypes ready for interbike (this september) so shops can "get onboard" and place their orders.

Wow, thatís a lot of work! Must suck to be them.

mtbr member
    Wow, thatís a lot of work! Must suck to be them.[/QUOTE]
    Yep,
    Glad I'm not the Chief!

gravity curmudgeon
    I think the pre-Interbike information releases on new products is a marketing strategy to build hype. The challenge is to make sure one sells all the "old" inventory first.

The related interesting item is that more companies are announcing new products at non-traditional times. I'm personally not sold that industry events like Interbike, SIA, or OR will be around in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No matter what the big box brands have for sale, I'm waiting to see the '09 RFX.

just zip tie some rockers on a highline. viola!
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    Personally, I'd go with Photoshop as I am out of zip ties . . .

Build More = Ride More
    God I sure hope the 09 RFX isn't a rocker system.

The swing arm system of the highline just looks so much cooler. That's what counts after all right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hope it's similar to the Devinci Frantik frame... but with the Turner touch

Well Biked
    I think DT said an early prototype should be ready for I Bike.

FM
    mtbr member
    "Downtube mounted rockers are sooooo 2008 ()
    • Makes adjusting your front derailuer a biznatch, some just won't fit
    • DT mentioned that welding the shockmount to the downtube or toptube requires a much thicker tube, adding weight and a stress riser you don't get with a vertically mounted shock that attaches to a forged piece like the current RFX.
    Aside from the lower BB, maxle, ISCG tabs, 1.5 head tube and revised cable routing, I have a hard time seeing where there's room for improvement on the 2008. That seems like a long list, but you can mod a '08 to get most of those features now.

I expect to be impressed though!

mtbr member
    Uh oh; rumors spreading on the DH/FR forum... instigated by a Cannondaleite.

mtbr member
    I saw lots of current model specialized bikes yesterday-they have to be about the fugliest out there. The downtubes and proprietry shocks and dodgy paint jobs were troubling.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Uh oh; rumors spreading on the DH/FR forum... instigated by a Cannondaleite.
    Saw that, felt compelled to offer my 0.04 and further cloud the issue . . .

Looks like I have to add Cannondaleite to my Homer dictionary.
    Last edited by TLL; 08-05-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by highroller
    ya mean a highline?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Hisforever
    i think the 09'r rfx will be more similiar to the rfx than the highline in looks...

TLL
    mtbr member
    ya mean a highline?
    That would be cool.

Bikes Rule
    I am a little sad to see the Highline model go away. As I just purchased a new one with the blowout sale, I gotta say that I am totally impressed with the Highline in every aspect. This is my first Turner ownership, as I have always loved the craftmanship, and I am sad to see the frame discontinued. But advantagous for me to now own one.

However if the RFX is getting a makeover and getting beefed up, I can see the drop of the HL frame to remove overlap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ya mean a highline?
    That would be closer to the Devinci Ollie...
    I already have one of those...7-8", 40lb'er. Looking for 6-7", 36lb'er.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ]
    I have long admired this bike. There are some pics floating around and it is just a beautifully-designed bike. I would love to throw a leg over one and get a feel for it, but they are incredibly rare stateside, and I don't think I have ever seen a Devinci in Austin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was only partially interested in the Frantik until I had a chance to ride one last season. Feels like a downsized dh bike. Slack head angle on the lightweight package was more fun than I expected.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was only partially interested in the Frantik until I had a chance to ride one last season. Feels like a downsized dh bike. Slack head angle on the lightweight package was more fun than I expected.
    Yeah, with a 47" WB and a 65.1* HA it is almost a DH rig.
    According to this article, the parts spec costs Devinci weight and performance, but they give the design pretty good reviews.

I'd be unlike Harrison Ford - getting Hectik, not frantik - much more aligned with my riding requirements/locale.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 08-05-2008 at 07:15 AM.

gravity curmudgeon
    I wasn't paying enough attention. No Highline in 09? Wow. Makes sense, however, to keep a slightly smaller line-up with less overlap. Differentiating the spot and rfx is a really good idea.

All I know is that there are lots of people watching to see what Turner does for 09. Even on skiing specific boards, people who don't come to mtbr/ridemonkey/etc are hearing the potential dw-link rumor. I thought it was a summer joke, but lately my gut tells me it is possible, although still on the unlikely side. I personally would love to see what Turner could do with a new "canvas." That would simply be a fun experiment to watch unfold.

I'll be watching Interbike closely but won't complain one bit if he sticks with the tried and true. Works, and that's all that matters to me when I'm riding. The rest of this stuff is just interesting fodder while sneaking a moment away from the crazy work life.

Members who have read this thread: 0