2009 RFX @ Interbike??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2009 RFX @ Interbike??

So anybody know if the new RFX will be @ interbike next month??

My guess is (or my wish is)

7" Travel or 7.75" option
    8.5x2.5 shock or option 8.75x2.75
    Highline type linkage
    67 head angle
    14" BB height
    9ish lb frame and shock weight
    1.5 headtube

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    7" Travel or 7.75" option
    8.5x2.5 shock or option 8.75x2.75
    Highline type linkage
    67 head angle
    14" BB height
    9ish lb frame and shock weight
    1.5 headtube
    They're already making the frame you describe, it's called a highline with an air shock.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I hope it is at Interbike. I'm excited to see it and get some info on it. I won't venture a guess on specifics as that has been done numerous times in previous threads, but I do believe that DT said it will not have the HL style linkage.

Well Biked
    My guess is Aqua is secretly pedaling a prototype through the Laguna mountains as we speak.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How about u give Aqua some ruffies and then take some spy pics for us!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    They're already making the frame you describe, it's called a highline with an air shock.
    Maybe JNC can make "RFX" stickers for him to put on one so he'll accept the Highline as matching his needs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hope they just beef the frame back up and put a simple quality coil on there.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    the 09 rfx will be the 05 six pack or 06 rfx

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    So DT is actually going to make an inferior product, what with the '08 being so much better than those models? This will cause great confusion amongst the flock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    Similar weight-wise probably. And ISCG tabs too I guess. Otherwise it sounds like it will be:
    -lower
    -slacker
    -stronger
    And have:
    -1.5 head tube
    -thru axle rear
    -more travel

Sounds more like its combining the best of the '07/08 RFX and the Highline, which is exactly what you'd expect since it's taking the place of both bikes.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's not far off....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Tease!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds perfect. Not sure where I stand on the increased travel. I don't feel like I need more. 6 seems to get it done. Most 7" bike seem like total pigs. Wouldn't want any I've seen for trails.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    Sounds perfect. Not sure where I stand on the increased travel. I don't feel like I need more. 6 seems to get it done. Anything more than 6.5 and I'd be thinking -> trail pig.
    Yeah, I kind of hope it stays right around the 6.4 it is now (which is already ever so slightly more than the '06). If it goes up much more then I'd feel like it deserves a bigger fork than a 36/Lyric, and all of a sudden you are talking about a different breed of bike.

At the same time, I'm sure DT wants it to work okay with a 7" fork, since some people have been running those on the RFX since time began. I just hope it doesn't feel underforked with the lighter 160mm forks.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Yeah, I kind of hope it stays right around the 6.4 it is now (which is already ever so slightly more than the '06). If it goes up much more then I'd feel like it deserves a bigger fork than a 36/Lyric, and all of a sudden you are talking about a different breed of bike.

At the same time, I'm sure DT wants it to work okay with a 7" fork, since some people have been running those on the RFX since time began. I just hope it doesn't feel underforked with the lighter 160mm forks.
    The '09 Spot will be 160mm fork approved, so I'd expect the '09 RFX to be comfortable with up to a 180mm fork strapped to it and offer 170-180mm frame travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Yay! Bikes !
    I hope it SUCKS; it should be 12lbs, be ripe with design flaws and look ugly so I don't have to finally upgrade from my '02.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    I hope it SUCKS; it should be 12lbs, be ripe with design flaws and look ugly so I don't have to finally upgrade from my '02.
    same here. I bet it is going to be tempting though.
    All about the ride

Living the Dream

I think DT mentionedthe RFX would

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    The '09 Spot will be 160mm fork approved, so I'd expect the '09 RFX to be comfortable with up to a 180mm fork strapped to it and offer 170-180mm frame travel.
    be designed around a 160mm fork. He mentioned 67 Deg HA & 14" BB height with a 160mm fork. I think that people run 180mm forks on RFXs to get the bike slacker vs needing an extra inch of travel.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    be designed around a 160mm fork. He mentioned 67 Deg HA & 14" BB height with a 160mm fork. I think that people run 180mm forks on RFXs to get the bike slacker vs needing an extra inch of travel.
    You may be right. I guess we shall see. I think that would be a mistake because creating an RFX too close to the 5.5spot will put buyers right back into the same confusion they are now with the '07-'08's. No one gets confused between usage of the Flux and Spot, it would be nice to space the RFX far enough away from the Spot to do the same on the other end of the spectrum.
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Living the Dream

Here's some quoates by DT

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    You may be right. I guess we shall see. I think that would be a mistake because creating an RFX too close to the 5.5spot will put buyers right back into the same confusion they are now with the '07-'08's. No one gets confused between usage of the Flux and Spot, it would be nice to space the RFX far enough away from the Spot to do the same on the other end of the spectrum.

"It will have the Maxle compatable dropouts as an option, and come with 10mm standard slots for those that have really nice wheels.

ISCG '05, 1.5 HT, yep, 135 x 73, no adjustable travel as usual, BB will not be 13 anything unless non standard shocks are used with short forks. It will be notably lower than the current with 160mm fork and 2.5 tires though. My intention is not slope style, as a 13.6ish BB and over 6" of travel would be, but big mountain free ride, ie a light replacement of the Highline. Those that don't want to ride a 8.5lb frame will be bummed.

Too many have pointed out that the current frame is too close to the Spot, so I am fixing that. This will be a much more FR bike than AM, hense the demise of the Highline. I could not have ya'll saying the 09 and the Highline are too close together. We will continue to sell the Highlines at a discount until they are gone for those that want a tough XC race bike that will take a 29" wheel.

DT

Glad I have already managed to pi$$ off some of you with moving away from the RFX as it is. Fact is, the 07-08 rocks, but it is confusing to the riders shopping for a new bike. It is very close in many aspect to a 5.5 Spot, and for those going bigger it is more of a long travel trail bike than a free rider that can take the 'Shore, or ripping ALine or hitting the bigger lines in Sedona, Moab and any # of spots with active shovel and saw crews. Many DH bred cross country riders have shared thier opinions about the current RFX from both coasts and I really think that for really hauling a$$ in the dirt what riders need is a lower (easy Scuba) slacker shredder. For everyone that is looking to fly more in their riding this will be a better frame.

There is no such thing as one frame does all, so for everyone that has multiple bike needs this frame will be better for "this" kinda riding, whether you are a DH type rider looking for a cross country bike, or a trail rider like Aqua or Zilla that also has a penchant or looking for trouble on every pile of rocks and logs. It will not replace Aquas Jones or Zillas 5 Spot, but when they reach for the pads this is the bike to carry them over the edge. Of course Zilla already has a Highline so he won't need this frame, but for riders who are similar in their mountain biking. Aqua is on the 05-06 RFX so by next winter he will be ready to step up to a lower BB and slacker angles for assaulting boulders mountain sides somewhere in San Diego county.

If the 'gray area' has the DHR sitting on one side and the 5 Spot on the other, the 07-08 RFX is on the first quarter line up from the Spot, the new bike right in the middle and the Highline on the 3rd quarter line below the DHR.

The 8.5 lb weight is with an RP23. So, if a coil is installed, it is right back to 9.5lbs with a coil a la 2002, with a much lower BB, thru axle etc etc etc etc. The frame will be TOUGH in case anyone wonders where the 1.3lbs over the current frame went! And yes many coil shocks will fit, but with the quality of air shocks today I feel comfortable with the RP23.

The SA is 72, seems to work for the current version, and the old 73 was too steep imho. The HA will be 67 with a 160 fork and BB 14.1 with 2.5's. With the same % of sag you can see it will have a dynamic BB notably lower than the current frame with the same fork and tires. Not a slopestyle Scuba! Not interested at this time, if global warming picks up the pace all the ski areas will HAVE to run their chairs to pay the bills, then I will have a whole line of gravity bikes. But right now, the SS frame would be an even smaller piece of a small market niche. Redundancy intentional."
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sweet, so will it also be called the "6 pack"?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Can't be the 6-Pack; that's not even as aggressive as the Spot.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Too many have pointed out that the current frame is too close to the Spot, so I am fixing that.

The SA is 72, seems to work for the current version, and the old 73 was too steep imho. The HA will be 67 with a 160 fork and BB 14.1 with 2.5's. With the same % of sag you can see it will have a dynamic BB notably lower than the current frame with the same fork and tires. Not a slopestyle Scuba! Not interested at this time, if global warming picks up the pace all the ski areas will HAVE to run their chairs to pay the bills, then I will have a whole line of gravity bikes. But right now, the SS frame would be an even smaller piece of a small market niche. Redundancy intentional.
    I have read all that, and it all sounds good. All put together it does seem like Turner noobs will be able to figure out the difference. Curiously we've never heard how much travel the new RFX will have? It would be cool if it was 180mm like the Highline, but if DT gave the geo with a 160mm fork you would imagine the bike is designed around the current matching 6.4". It's all just a guessing game, and I'm sure DT is using every last bit of engineering brainpower to squeeze all the littlest details into one frame. I'm really excited to see what he comes up with!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    ...and a 3rd here (sort of). I was kinda looking to chop in my '02 (with 6pack links) for something newer and shinier, but from the sound of things the '09 is going to be very very similar to what I've already got.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No Way

it will be in Vegas. Due to the b!tch slapping I got on the first disclosure a few months ago it went back to the drawing board and that pushed it back a loooong way. We are shooting for Sea Otter 2009.

Yay! Bikes !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    it will be in Vegas. Due to the b!tch slapping I got on the first disclosure a few months ago it went back to the drawing board and that pushed it back a loooong way. We are shooting for Sea Otter 2009.
    Is that so you have enough time to design the RFX around the DW-link?

yeah, i went there...

nothing witty here...

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    Is that so you have enough time to design the RFX around the DW-link
    You meant the WD40ed-link right? I heard it's very good (in theory) and has many uses outside of mtb.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Rides like wrecking ball
    "It will have the Maxle compatable dropouts as an option, and come with 10mm standard slots for those that have really nice wheels.

ISCG '05, 1.5 HT, yep, 135 x 73, no adjustable travel as usual, BB will not be 13 anything unless non standard shocks are used with short forks. It will be notably lower than the current with 160mm fork and 2.5 tires though. My intention is not slope style, as a 13.6ish BB and over 6" of travel would be, but big mountain free ride, ie a light replacement of the Highline. Those that don't want to ride a 8.5lb frame will be bummed.

Too many have pointed out that the current frame is too close to the Spot, so I am fixing that. This will be a much more FR bike than AM, hense the demise of the Highline. I could not have ya'll saying the 09 and the Highline are too close together. We will continue to sell the Highlines at a discount until they are gone for those that want a tough XC race bike that will take a 29" wheel.

DT

Glad I have already managed to pi$$ off some of you with moving away from the RFX as it is. Fact is, the 07-08 rocks, but it is confusing to the riders shopping for a new bike. It is very close in many aspect to a 5.5 Spot, and for those going bigger it is more of a long travel trail bike than a free rider that can take the 'Shore, or ripping ALine or hitting the bigger lines in Sedona, Moab and any # of spots with active shovel and saw crews. Many DH bred cross country riders have shared thier opinions about the current RFX from both coasts and I really think that for really hauling a$$ in the dirt what riders need is a lower (easy Scuba) slacker shredder. For everyone that is looking to fly more in their riding this will be a better frame.

There is no such thing as one frame does all, so for everyone that has multiple bike needs this frame will be better for "this" kinda riding, whether you are a DH type rider looking for a cross country bike, or a trail rider like Aqua or Zilla that also has a penchant or looking for trouble on every pile of rocks and logs. It will not replace Aquas Jones or Zillas 5 Spot, but when they reach for the pads this is the bike to carry them over the edge. Of course Zilla already has a Highline so he won't need this frame, but for riders who are similar in their mountain biking. Aqua is on the 05-06 RFX so by next winter he will be ready to step up to a lower BB and slacker angles for assaulting boulders mountain sides somewhere in San Diego county.

If the 'gray area' has the DHR sitting on one side and the 5 Spot on the other, the 07-08 RFX is on the first quarter line up from the Spot, the new bike right in the middle and the Highline on the 3rd quarter line below the DHR.

The 8.5 lb weight is with an RP23. So, if a coil is installed, it is right back to 9.5lbs with a coil a la 2002, with a much lower BB, thru axle etc etc etc etc. The frame will be TOUGH in case anyone wonders where the 1.3lbs over the current frame went! And yes many coil shocks will fit, but with the quality of air shocks today I feel comfortable with the RP23.

The SA is 72, seems to work for the current version, and the old 73 was too steep imho. The HA will be 67 with a 160 fork and BB 14.1 with 2.5's. With the same % of sag you can see it will have a dynamic BB notably lower than the current frame with the same fork and tires. Not a slopestyle Scuba! Not interested at this time, if global warming picks up the pace all the ski areas will HAVE to run their chairs to pay the bills, then I will have a whole line of gravity bikes. But right now, the SS frame would be an even smaller piece of a small market niche. Redundancy intentional."
    Or maybe not.....
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

Members who have read this thread: 0