Thread: 2009 dhr frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

2009 dhr frame

I'm looking at buying a 2009 dhr frame. Any major things to look for? I'll check the pivots, welds, etc. Any way of knowing frame size?

I'm thinking of getting into dh and this came up.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan

Committed
    That was a great frame in terms of durability, mostly just look for play in the dog bone/swing link area. That was the common wear area. New needle bearings will help in most cases.
    For size take a bb to top of seat tube measurement, 14, 16, 18 for small med large if I recall correctly. The large had a gusset at the seat tube top tube junction as well I believe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks for the information. I'll be taking a look at it this weekend.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They are short for given size, Turner did provide an updated thru bolt for the main pivot, Head Tube is 1 1/8", I found that weighting the bottom bracket that the weight went mostly to the rear causing it to squat and front to slacken out. You had to focus on weighting the front end. Earlier DHR's were easier to ride from the center. Not saying it's bad it's just what i found.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I took a look at it, and ended up bringing it home. Too good of a deal to pass up. I need to assemble everything out back minus the main pivot as he had swapped the shock and was going to repaint it a different color. I may post with questions on the assembly process.

Thanks again for the info.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I got the frame back together and I'm thinking I'll need to replace the pivot bearings. Everything is pretty loose. Is there a way to ID the frame year using the serial number? I was told it was an 09', but I want to be certain before ordering the parts. Maybe contact Turner directly?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Committed
    No need to know the exact year for spare parts, the round tube frames were the same from start to finish.
    The one piece main pivot bolt is a good upgrade if the frame doesn't already have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Ok. Turners site says 07-09 for one of the rebuild kits, assuming that's the correct then? I'll attach a pic below (maybe).

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 dhr frame-image.jpg  

Committed
    Yes 07-09. Nice granny smith green DHR, I always liked that color. Look at the drive side of the main pivot, if it has a lock nut you have the through bolt upgrade. If it is the same torx head bolt as disc side you have the stock set up.

~~~~~~~~
    Looks stock and through bolt upgrade should be done. Also check your shock mounting hardware, inserts and bushings. I went to the bearing style since the old alloy eyelet inserts and bushings wore out fast.

My old round tube is still going strong, love that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thank you guys for the info. Yes, stock main pivot - star/torx on both sides. I'll probably get a list together for an order to Turner. The little stuff like the shock linkage will add to the cost, but the frame will be new after replacing the wear items is the way I see it.

Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Well I was able to purchase most of the parts as someone was breaking a bike down. Something strange is going on though. I went to install the headset - standard 1 1/8 (used FSA), and the bottom cup literally slides in and will fall out from the headtube. The top I can pretty much press in by hand.

I thought maybe it's the headset, so I tried a used Chris King and same thing. Is the headtube stretched or something? I'm wondering if a previous owner didn't have things correctly tightened and the steerer moved back and forth, in turn pushing the cups back and forth in the headtube? I haven't measured anything yet.

Again, thanks in advance for any information.

Ryan

how heavy are you ??
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhewitt View Post
    Well I was able to purchase most of the parts as someone was breaking a bike down. Something strange is going on though. I went to install the headset - standard 1 1/8 (used FSA), and the bottom cup literally slides in and will fall out from the headtube. The top I can pretty much press in by hand.

I thought maybe it's the headset, so I tried a used Chris King and same thing. Is the headtube stretched or something? I'm wondering if a previous owner didn't have things correctly tightened and the steerer moved back and forth, in turn pushing the cups back and forth in the headtube? I haven't measured anything yet.

Again, thanks in advance for any information.

Ryan
    Ouch, that don't sound good..

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 😜
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Google Chris King Steel Set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The king steel seems like the ticket with taller cup skirt. Any other headsets with taller cup skirts? Might post this in another section as well.

Thanks for this info!

Ryan