rpt
    mtbr member

New question here. 2007 Flux - it could be time to bring it back… looking for some recommendations

Firstly some background - had a lot of fun on the Flux about 4 or 5 years, then a break, then a last blast sometime in summer of 2013 or 2014.

Since then its been stored - mainly for geography reasons, but I really feel like trying some trails again before I get too old! Kept cycle fit by road riding, so though the skills will be very rusty, the fitness should be ok.

I was never an aggressive rider - otherwise i'd have gone 5 spot of course, but I did spec it with a Fox 2007 TALAS and although in the UK i mostly ran it at 100-120mm, I sometimes ran it at the full 140mm especially if I was on a trip abroad - loved it in that mode!

So having done a bit of reading tonight and remembering some of the bikes I saw on the trail in 2013 - i'm reminded that the Flux is pretty dated - a lot like the rider

But I'm thinking so what…its as good as it always was, its just that other things have moved on - 27.5, 29, Carbon Fibre and no doubt other stuff I dont even know about.

Some changes will be positive, some more of a sideways move & the trails will be mostly the same I guess. They were fun back then, so they'll still be fun now right?

There'll be plenty of people here, will have done some similar thinking and maybe tested out some options…if so I'd like to hear them.

Ride it as is? I think the TALAS fork may need some tlc - iirc it was sagging too much even though the pressure was set correctly - I'll look at that and maybe ask for advice here / on the fork forum.

Some choice upgrades - Fatter tyres? Will 27.5 inch wheels fit? New rear triangle? Other options?

Trade in for something else?

Honestly if the fork is ok, then I'll likely ride it as it is at the start, but I'd still like to hear peoples thoughts on my options assuming its as much fun as I remember

Thanks for reading this far!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I suggest getting your fork and shock serviced, tune up, decent 2.4 26 tires and ride. Assuming everything is in reasonable shape shouldn't be too many £s. Get a new bike down the road as required.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

rpt
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply TB

Was going to ask you for some reccs on servicing, but I see we're a few thousand miles apart - so will get that info elsewhere.

I think you're probably right about saving any new bike thoughts for later. Until I get my mojo back, then the Flux should be more than enough bike for the skills/confidence I'll bring to the party.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Whaaat???

That's way too sensible. Mountain biking is all about stoke! And not about overthinking issues like buying a new bike.

Of course you should buy a new bike! I suggest: fly to LA and demo a new Flux and/or new Czar. Buy the one you like! Get it real dirty, then fly it home. You'll save on shipping at least. THAT's sensible, if you need that sort of thing!

Seriously, the new bikes are better than the old. Really excellent in fact. Go with the best!!! It'll be way more fun.