2007/08 RFX: which RP23 valving?- Mtbr.com
    MW
    mtbr member

2007/08 RFX: which RP23 valving?

Hi all. Which valving and air can did Turner spec for the RP23 on the 2007/08 RFX? I'm referring to the high/medium/low compression and (I believe) rebound that Fox offers from the factory. I'm sure this info is hiding in the forums, but I've been searching and can't find it.

Context: I just picked up an '08 RFX with a Roco coil, and I want to keep my eyes open for an RP23 to try with the frame and need to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help,

--Matt

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Hi all. Which valving and air can did Turner spec for the RP23 on the 2007/08 RFX? I'm referring to the high/medium/low compression and (I believe) rebound that Fox offers from the factory. I'm sure this info is hiding in the forums, but I've been searching and can't find it.

Context: I just picked up an '08 RFX with a Roco coil, and I want to keep my eyes open for an RP23 to try with the frame and need to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help,

--Matt

You'll do better with an RS Monarch RT-3 or Monarch Plus from Push. Best shock I've ever run on my RFX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007/08 RFX: which RP23 valving?-img_1795_edited-2-medium-.jpg  

Astigmatic Visionary

MW
    mtbr member
    PUSH is an option, absolutely. Still wondering about the stock/spec'd RP23 for that frame, however. --Matt

mtbr member
    Keep the coil unless you are a weenie. When I had an 08 RFX the Roco coil was way better than the Pushed RP23 I had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mine stock float had mid compression and light rebound tune.
    But I would (as you've been already told) stick with the coil

MW
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies and feedback. I know and appreciate the sentiments on this forum for coils and/or PUSH'd air shocks, particularly on the RFX. But as usual, I'd like to see for myself and for my own uses of the frame. --Matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't want to hijack post, but why RT3 vs. RT? So you can adjust platform on the fly vs. set it and forget it?
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After talking to Darren at PUSH I went with the RT AM so it would have a closer feel to coil then the RT3. I like to set it and forget, it rocks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Medium rp23 sucked on an 08 for me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

MW
    mtbr member
    I had an RP23 on my 06/07 Flux. It wasn't plush, but it didn't bob while climbing (ProPedal off or in the "1" position), and it moved when it needed to move on the descents. I thought it was a good match for that bike, honestly.

I currently have a DHX-air on my 06 Spot with 5.5 rockers. Plush is as plush does, despite that shock's lack of anything resembling midstroke dampening (I've never gotten around to shimming or replacing the air can). But my second-biggest gripe with this shock, after the midstroke? You gotta be super smooth at the pedals to avoid the bob.

With this 08 RFX project, it really remains to be seen how I'm going to approach the setup. Right now, because I've never ridden with a coil, I want to build it more or less like DT penned it: 160-170mm coil up front, keep the Roco coil out back, and get some saddle time on an all-coil bike to see what everyone around here was always raving about with their HL/TNT bikes.

However: an RFX with 6.whatever inches of coil suspension front and rear is more bike than I'll ever need. Ever. Seriously. But I wanted a longer toptube and wheelbase than what I had on my large Spot, and I've been riding my 29er in a lot of places where the Spot is overkill, so when this XL RFX frame came along? It's replacing the Spot and creating more distinct spacing from the 29er. Blah blah, whatever. Point being: it's likely that I'll look to "downsize" this RFX with eccentric shock bushings and a 140-150mm fork to drop the BB and keep the HA near 68deg. And if I go this route? I might like to see what an air shock with lockout feels like on the back of it . . . and the cheap way to do this is pick up something used. At least, that's my thinking.

--Matt

MW
    mtbr member
    For other folks who may stumble across this thread, from Greg at Turner:

Hi Matt,

We spec'd the 2008 RFX with a medium/medium valve and XV can. For heavier
    riders, above 180 pounds we recommend the standard air can. Have a great day.

Best Regards

Greg

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    For other folks who may stumble across this thread, from Greg at Turner:
    Yup, mid, mid.
    Up higher on the thread you missed a recommendation for a RS Monarch as it was closely followed by a PUSH endorsement.

The Monarch is a far superior shock to the RP23; I highly recommend you give one of those a go vs a Fox.

I replaced a PUSHed RP23 (on an Ibis Mojo) with a stock RT3 and it blew the Fox out of the water.

I ran a PUSHed RP23 on a RFX for approximately 1 week. I regretted blowing the money on tuning that shock as it was quickly overwhelmed by the trail chunk under the RFXs leverage ratio (granted, it replaced a CCDB).

On the flip side, I ran a CCDB on my 6 Point and wanted lighter weight so I went with a Monarch (4.2, older one) and it didn't leave me yearning for a coil the way RP23 did on my RFX.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

mtbr member
    MW, I have an original rp23 high-volume off a 08 rfx that's going up on ebay soon if you're interested. I'm going to be picking up a monarch plus. The RP23 is an awesome peddler but doesn't quite match up to the VAN36 up front when the trail points down. The stock RP23 feels a bit overwhelmed on long rough descents like dville. I added a big-hit bumper from Push about a year ago, which was a huge improvement in allowing me to run 30% sag, but am still longing for that coil-like feel.

MW
    mtbr member
    MK_: Thank you for the knowledgeable feedback. I didn't mean to ignore the earlier posts about the Monarch so much as, well . . . I just wanted to know about the spec'd valving for the RP23.

Bottom line is that a new Monarch isn't likely in my budget anytime soon, but a second-hand RP23 could be. Hence, I wanted to know which valvings to ask after if/when shocks pop up on craigslist or in the classifieds here.

Having said that, one of my takeaways from this thread is that, even if I found one cheap, the RP23 isn't worth the time/trouble on the 07/08 RFX, and that I should be pretty happy that the frame I picked up came with a Roco. As usual with the Turner board: solid info.

--Matt