2006 RFX frame finish?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2006 RFX frame finish?

Hi all-

In a few months, I hope to be getting my old 2006 RFX frame out of storage and rebuilding it.

As part of this project I am considering refinishing the frame. I bought it used; it had originally been an ano-green frame but the original owner had Turner themselves (via Olympic, I would presume) refinish it to black powdercoat at the time of original purchase. You can see a trace of the original green at the top surface of the head tube, in fact. (Too bad; I love green!)

I'd like to strip the powder with solvent and polish the bare aluminum, maybe clearcoating afterward. But does anyone recall whether the ano finish this year was bead-blasted or smooth? I *think* it was smooth. It's also possible there was some abrasive media used to strip the ano and/or prep for the powdercoat, of course.

So I know it'll all depend on what I see when I finally have the frame in-hand with the powder stripped, but thought someone might know off the top of his head about the original finish. Corollary question: If the frame has been bead-blasted or otherwise had some kind of aggressive surfacing done prior to powder, can it be burnished back to a smooth finish?

I may not even bother with the refinish, but it's a thought I was mulling over. Thanks-

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wasn't that a 6pack year?

Picture_5014232.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

beer is good
    I don't think they were bead blasted that year. Also I don't think they had to strip the ano off before powder, it just may be green under that powdercoat.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could be correct. All I recall is that it was the model year the six-pack was renamed the RFX once again. Was that 2007?

mtbr member
    I think the 6 Pack was 2006 and Horst and the RFX came in 07 and was TNT. I could be wrong

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 RFX that I sent back to Turner about 3 or 4 years ago and they refinished it using Johnny Blue (I went with matching paint on the chain and seat stays). Still one of my favorite bikes of all time. My significant other has it now and she loves it as well.
    Just an option in case you wanted someone else to do the refinishing start to finish.

mtbr member
    The ought six was smooth, I had one. The green was a nice finish and looked gold in some light. It was TNT. From the catalogue. The couch shot is mine, from when MTBR was cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 RFX frame finish?-screen-shot-2016-04-26-2.53.26-am.jpg  

2006 RFX frame finish?-screen-shot-2016-04-26-3.00.27-am.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Yup the '06 was smooth finish. Had a green one with silver decals and a Horst-Link rear triangle from a Six-Pack. Loved that bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks, guys!

The more I think about it, the more I really may just want to leave it black and get on with riding it...but the possibility of stripping it to raw and/or polishing remains an option.

Then I start thinking of a trans orange or a Yeti teal and then I realize I'm an idiot who should just get this thing running.

Plan right now is to rebuild with some leftover and cast-off parts garnered from friends who still have a bunch of 26" crap laying around. The hardest thing to find these days, it seems, is a non-tapered fork!

Though I'm sold on newer-school geometry, as I was always looking for a longer TT and shorter CS back when I rode a lot, I think this bike still has a lot to offer me, and I'm going to try eccentric shock bushings to at least lower and slacken it a hair.

I'm going to slap a Fox 36 Float up front, some tubeless rims with widish trail tires, Shimano brakes, and a 10-spd drivetrain with some type of simple chain retention. Should be a neat bike when all finished, and I think I can do it on the cheap.

If I end up liking the ride a lot, might consider sending the suspension out for some refresh and custom tuning.