2006 Marzocchi 66 SL ?- Mtbr.com
    !sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH

2006 Marzocchi 66 SL ?

You guys are known for heavily modding your forks. Anyway I have been searching and havnt found the answer I am looking for so here is the question: I have the aboved mentioned fork. the lowest it says it goes is 150mm. I want to make it lower, how can I go about doing this without ruining the fork? this would be a temporary fix until I have the loot to get the proper fork for the bike. I just purchased a house and am getting married soon, so I am trying to make do with what I already have because I am broke. please help me. Thanks.

not so super...
    use more air to compress it and you can run it around 130-140mm.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 07-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    you can ignore the 150 minimum setting marzocchi states; the way this fork works, the more pressure you pump into the negative [doppio] cartridge, the lower the travel gets. I've operated mine just fine at 140mm. There is nothing that you can damage in this fork at any travel setting.
    What travel setting do you wish to use?

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    you can ignore the 150 minimum setting marzocchi states; the way this fork works, the more pressure you pump into the negative [doppio] cartridge, the lower the travel gets. I've operated mine just fine at 140mm. There is nothing that you can damage in this fork at any travel setting.
    What travel setting do you wish to use?
    Thanks for the quick responses. I am planning on using this on an 06 specialized p.3 frame I am getting for cheap. They run a 100mm stock fork. I think I would like to run around 130mm or so. I am by no means a smooth rider so the extra squish I think would be beneficial to my wrists. So all I need to do is deflate the positive pressure and crank up the negative? then dial it in again.... I have a manual lying around somwhere but I couldnt find it last night... got any tips on pressures to use?

Outcast
    okay, here's a couple pics that might help you understand what's going on in your fork.
    The first pic shows the doppio cartridge disassembled. This is the cartridge you put air into the top of when you reduce the length of the fork.

In the second pic, lower portion, you see a close up of the piston [left side] and the cartridge top cap. As you add air to the top of the fork, the air exits the rod via that tiny hole you see just above the piston. As air pressure increases, it forces that piston down in the carrtridge. That higher air pressures create an "air spacer". The air space below the piston is the PAR air, that which helps control bottom out.

So, there is nothing to damage when you lower the fork below 150. The quality of the travel will change a little bit.
    Just saw your response; it will work okay at 130, you don't have to deflate the positive pressures to drop the fork, but you may want to tweak them after you do. You might empty the PAR before dropping the travel.

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Sure enough, it works great... I love this fork, thanks again guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0