mtbr member

2 important things!

First - where is the link I remember one of the members taking out a stripped bolt on their bike and seeing what they used, cannot find it and after I make this thread I will still be on the hunt.

My avid brake bolts seemed to have rusted so it stripped when trying to undo them, also the bike shop put them too tight so that did not help.

Second - I also can't seem to locate the thread where D. Twizzle talks about the downsides of 1x9 on his bikes. I was also wondering does the 1x9 also affect other full suspensioned bike designs??? Also, I suggest putting that link, once it's found, in the FAQ section.

I await your help fellas, in the meantime I am still searching.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Could be xcguy removing a stuck rotor bolt or Bikezilla removing a stuck pivot.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Is the bolt head still intact? Have you tried vice grips?

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Could be xcguy removing a stuck rotor bolt or Bikezilla removing a stuck pivot.
    Yeah that's it.

Do a Search on "Grab-it" or similar.

Edit:

Look Here
    And Here.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rejoicing always!
    Warning! Don't buy the cheapest bolt extractors at home depot! I did, and the extractor BROKE INSIDE THE BOLT! I went in and explained that they shouldn't carry such things. I paid a bit more for the next set, and it worked fine. Granted, a five minute job turned into a 45 minute job, because I had to use all sorts of bizarre methods to remove the first extractor. Heat, cold, vise grips, and so on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Another option is to grind opposing sides of the bolt head flat so you have surfaces to grab with vice grips. This worked for me.

mtbr member
    The lips that come around on the juicy's bolts keep me from using vice grips. I tried.

Grabit it is and thank you, couldn't remember if it was bikezilla or someone else but now that question is answered.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

Members who have read this thread: 0