2 black 5 spots- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2 black 5 spots

mtbr member
    May 2004

2 black 5 spots

hi folks

just wanted to share another two 5 spots built in 2004. last weekend we were riding Mount Bar in Switzerland. Having changed tires from UST to tubes again we are riding singletrails with the speed of light. Spot is a 17mile singletrail/ technical singletrail. We had great fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    Nice! Black looks sweet. Congrats. How do you feel the Fox air compares to the Romic?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Nice rides!!

Question...on that secon spot (with the air shox)...is the Thomson stem flipped upside down?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Nice! Black looks sweet. Congrats. How do you feel the Fox air compares to the Romic?
    I do ride the Romic shock however my riding buddy is riding the fox. After having ridden some time with my buddie's Fox I really must say the Romic is the far better shock. The Fox certainly is more lightweight but is not a sensible and linear as the Romic.
    The Fox is either stiff or too plush. When you higher the pressure it remains locked longer and is less plush.
    I mean you can easily save up to 400g on the shock but I would definitely not go for the Fox. Furthermore I think that the functioning of Turner pivot is that good that you do not need a pro pedal damping but just a well working rebound control.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Nice rides!!

Question...on that secon spot (with the air shox)...is the Thomson stem flipped upside down?
    hhhm yes this is the case. It does not look nice but it gives you a very racy feeling.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Nice and stealthy looking bikes!

I’m curious about the “Having changed tires from UST to tubes again we are riding singletrails with the speed of light”. I’m still undecided…………….should I go for UST or stick to the conventional tubes. My better half is building a Spot right now and she opted for conventional tubes cause they are lighter and cheaper.

Mount Bear is that the Bärenhorn? Looks like a nice area to go some time…………so many places to go……..

Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi

I’m curious about the “Having changed tires from UST to tubes again we are riding singletrails with the speed of light”. I’m still undecided…………….should I go for UST or stick to the conventional tubes. My better half is building a Spot right now and she opted for conventional tubes cause they are lighter and cheaper.

Mount Bear is that the Bärenhorn? Looks like a nice area to go some time…………so many places to go……..

Cheers,
    Mount Bar is in south Switzerland in the italian speaking part close to the city of Lugano. Mount Bar was part of the World Cup marathon Series last year.

I have been riding UST for more than a year. I was riding in the alps on all terrains and I never had any issue. Neither did the wheels loose air nor had I ever a flat tire. I rode the Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25 tire at around 800gramms with the 02 Mavic rim x3.1, Dt competition and 240discs. The wheelset is very strong (I weigh about 200lbs). However the rims are very heavy and in combination with the tire the bike was too slow for having great fun uphill or uphill singletrails. so I wanted to lighter the wheel and decided to put on some lighter tires (Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 500g each). Next step will be a lighter wheelset.

However today the UST rims are more lightweight.

Lay off the Levers

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by muggel
    I do ride the Romic shock however my riding buddy is riding the fox. After having ridden some time with my buddie's Fox I really must say the Romic is the far better shock. The Fox certainly is more lightweight but is not a sensible and linear as the Romic.
    The Fox is either stiff or too plush. When you higher the pressure it remains locked longer and is less plush.
    I mean you can easily save up to 400g on the shock but I would definitely not go for the Fox. Furthermore I think that the functioning of Turner pivot is that good that you do not need a pro pedal damping but just a well working rebound control.
    Thanks! You're expreience is almost identical to much of what I've read about the Fox on the 'Spot.

About that flipped stem. There is another thread about this HERE ...I really think, that while it does give a very racy feeling, it puts too much rider weight forward for technical (rough & steep) riding. Unless you are riding a lot of smooth fast trails, You might want to consider trying it in the rise mode.

Cheers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gotta like the black bikes

Here's mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwater
    Here's mine...

i am wondering, did you paint that spring coil or is it an original romic coil? i am not really keen on keepin mine in red color

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi

Cheers,
    I know this topic has been beaten to death, but he has gone from a UST "trail" tire to a non-UST "race" tire, of course there will be a noticable difference. If you compare the same tires, UST to non-UST, the weight is basicly the same with a standard tube. I live in a flat-pron area and UST has been a gods send, I went from weekly flats to 1 flat in over a year. There is also some increased traction with tubeless. If you get a lot of flats, I would highly recommend tubeless.

Sweet bikes BTW!, one of my riding buddies has an all black 5 Spot coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Painted black with regular spray paint. I gave it a good cleaning and a light sanding first. So far so good...

Quote Originally Posted by muggel
    i am wondering, did you paint that spring coil or is it an original romic coil? i am not really keen on keepin mine in red color