160mm forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: 160mm forks

mtbr member

160mm forks

Hello,

I am cross-posting this from the shock forum to get Turner specific feedback. I am getting closer to finalizing the build of my new RFX and I have to make a final decision on which fork to order. I have a few questions for people who are running these forks on their rigs and are willing to share comments.

Here are my requirements:

1) I need a fork with variable travel between 120mm and 160mm (+/10mm doesn't really matter). I ride my bike up and down, rarely shuttle so I need about 69 deg. headtube angle and 73 deg seattube angle for climbing which I would get at 120mm travel on the RFX.
    (OT: Does the 68 degree head tube angle with 535mm AC include sag or not?)
    As a point of reference, my current bike is a Flux and while I had no issues climbing in Moab on a Five Spot, it took a while to get used to riding a Nomad sporting a 150mm Stance up front up steep hills in Bootleg Canyon. (I was demoing both bikes.)

2) Fork should be able to take some abuse but nothing too crazy (I love trails like Porcupine Rim or the Downieville Downhill).

3) I hate brake dive and blowing through the travel at midstroke more so than feeling a bit of trail chatter.

I am 170lbs ready to ride and have currently have a DHX coil on the RFX, although I might be getting an air shock for the times I want a lighter AM setup.

The forks I am considering are the usual suspects, Marzoccchi All Mountain SL 1 ATA, 66SL 1 ATA, Fox Talas 36RC2, Lyirik U-Turn or 2-Step. Here are some questions and comments I have gathered by searching the forums:

1) Lyiric 2-step suffers from quality control, Lyric U-turn blows through the travel. Apart from stuck stanchions, is the Lyric 2-step more progressive than the U-turn? how is the brake dive?

2) Marzocchi 66: Can this fork be lowered to 120 to 160mm from 140 to 180mm playing with spacers inside? I have only heard and red good things about this fork but 140mm seems really high to be able to climb effectively (although one could use more sag to lower it).
    AM1 SL: how good is TST? does it give enough of a range of compression damping? I guess it's hard to get opinions on this fork as it barely hit the shops but any comments are appreciated. There were some comments on the knobs being hard to operate on a pre-production model ...

3) Fox Talas 36RC2: I have ridden the Talas 36R on a Spesh Enduro and was not impressed. The lack of compression damping adjustment was such that in order to achieve reasonable travel, the fork dove like mad under braking and cornering. Does the RC2 make a big difference? How is the small bump sensitivity? Anyone running one on an RFX?

All feedback is appreciated, especially now that the new 66SL are hitting the street. Thanks!

No, that's not phonetic
    You want the new 66SL. You want it bad. I am a little bummed they went to a full 180 on it, a 130-170 range would fit the RFX better, but hey... beggars can't be choosers...

Anyway, you already eluded to a lot of the pros and cons of the various forks. The 66SL ATA can be wound down 40mm via 8 full turns of the travel adjuster knob, ala u-turn. Chances are you will only fuss with it occasionally. The rest of the performance will be spot on. I like the Zoke feel better than any fork out there, even though I am a general fan of Rockshox return and like my Pikes a lot. The Zokes just perform better imo.

Talas? Pah.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    mtbr member
    Unless you're bent on having a 20mm axle, I would consider the 2006 marzocchi all mountain 1.....
    • adjustable between 130-150mm travel,
    • ETA so you can lock it down for climbs.
    • It's coil sprung! has that awesome plush small hit marzocchi feel.
    • TST compression damping. one click tunes out the brake dive.
    • Probably available pretty dang cheap right now.

I have one and love it- also rode an all moutain SL this year for a while. Air forks have come a long way but they are still a compromise in the feel department imho.

banned
    TST sucks. See my thoughts on two other threads.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i dig tst and find it quite helpful in climbing on my '05 am sl at 140mm. by the sounds of what ya describe as yer needs and intentions, id almost have to say the '07 zoke am 1 sl is the way to go. lighter but less burley than the 66 sl 1 ata. im lookin at both for myself at a similar weight, needs and intent on a similar bike and im leanin towards the am 1 sl.
    No, I'm NOT back!

not so super...
    You need the 66SL for the RFX. The type of riding the RFX will make you do almost always calls for a larger fork.

That said - if you want a coil fork, try to find a 06 Z1 Light ETA. While it is almost the same weight as the 66SL (06 version anyway - 07 is slightly heavier) it has the travel adjust that you are looking for, RC2 damping and ETA.

FWIW - the TST in my 05 version AM1 suffered from bad brake dive. Maybe the newer version are better but I have not ridden them.
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    You need the 66SL for the RFX. The type of riding the RFX will make you do almost always calls for a larger fork.

That said - if you want a coil fork, try to find a 06 Z1 Light ETA. While it is almost the same weight as the 66SL (06 version anyway - 07 is slightly heavier) it has the travel adjust that you are looking for, RC2 damping and ETA.

FWIW - the TST in my 05 version AM1 suffered from bad brake dive. Maybe the newer version are better but I have not ridden them.
    Echoed in my thoughts on the thread in the shock forum. Good call.

Members who have read this thread: 0