Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368

    11 bikes and 11 dudes(A DW 5-spot review)

    This past weekend the Sanchez crew all assembled for a weekend of riding up at Brianhead. Crash the Dog was kind enough to bring up his virgin DW Spot for me to thrash on. The trail I chose for the test was Blowhard. This trail is a mix of steep, rocky, loose techy DH, short pedaly climbs, and long fast and winding buffed out singletrack. Some of the build highlights include:

    Edit: Size XL with 100 X 8 degree stem. I"m 6'2, and would shorten the stem to a 70mm for better handling in the air.

    Kings laced to 5.1's
    Gravity Dropper turbo post
    Formula Oro Bianco brakes
    Fox 36 Talas fork.
    XT and Sram drivetrain
    2.5 F and 2.3 R singleply WTB Prowlers

    The ride starts out steep and chunky. The first thing I noticed was how well the rear end tracked. I come from riding a Highline, and an 03 5-spot for comparative purposes. The rear end on this new spot felt like my prison bunk mate on viagra. Stiff and deep! Dare I say that the rear end is stiffer than an 06 RFX? Yes. I railed turns like Lopes at the 4 cross track. Through the chunk, the rear end really stayed glued to the ground. My old spot would sometime skip across the square edge chunk, but this DW version soaked it all up, lending to better descending traction.

    Half way down there is a 5 minute climb to get to the next DH section. I really thought the climbing prowess of this bike was all hype, but now I'm sold. When I layed the power down, it felt like every cal spent translated to forward motion. No bob!

    If I had to choose one bike as my do it all bike, the DW Spot would replace my entire stable. Great bike! Now I'm thinking that if the new RFX is anything like the 5.5 Spot, my Highline might be going bye-bye! Ahyone want to buy a lightly used, never abused 08 Highline?

    No pics.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 08-31-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  2. #2
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The rear end on this new spot felt like my prison bunk mate on viagra.

    .....

    If I had to choose one bike as my do it all bike, the DW Spot would replace my entire stable.

    ......

    No pics.

    No pics required.

  3. #3
    suspension whore
    Reputation: matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    702
    "Stiff and deep!"

    ...No pics."


    You say "no Pics" like its a bad thing!!!! I think not

    - I'm sure Daves marketing department would also be happy to see no pics on this thread.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

    Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

  4. #4
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270
    thank you for NOT showing pics...with you, there is always the risk of speedos so please continue to NOT post pics

  5. #5
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,472
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The rear end...felt like my prison bunk mate on viagra. Stiff and deep! .
    New sig up for grabs!
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,322
    I'm speechless. El C and me loving the same bike. I...I...I...
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    Nice review El C.

    CtD's build is very similar to my DW Spot, and your review is spot on with mine. The DW really does everything significantly better than the TNT & HL bikes...



    *queue the e-hater speculators*

  8. #8
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    Andy, the bike felt like it weighed somewhere between 31-32 lbs. Maybe Crash will chime in with the official weight. The thing felt as burly as an RFX when banging thru the chop.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    So when were you in prison and are you boyz still in touch? That is sweet!

    That suspension design is pretty sweet. If I were still riding 26ers, the Spot would definitely be it. Give the RFX a chance though...it may be more your style.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm speechless. El C and me loving the same bike. I...I...I...
    That's a pretty good observation, even if the iteration he's talking about (36, beefy rims/tires, Gravity Dropper) probably differs significantly from what you rode/liked. To me that just further highlights the versatility of the bike, that riders of all bents can not only appreciate the bike "for what it is", but can actually alter the ride characteristics of the bike to suit their style.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

  11. #11
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thank you for NOT showing pics...with you, there is always the risk of speedos so please continue to NOT post pics
    In that case, I will post some pics! Yes, that's 11 bikes and 11 guys in one truck! Is that a new record?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,511

    Specifications

    Ben glad you enjoyed the ride. How did the tires hook up? I imagine you probably wanted something with a bit more braking traction on Blow Hard. I was going to swap them out for a pair of single ply 2.4 Ardents but after the few trail I've ridden here in George I'm pleasantly surprised with the Prowler combo. Telonix front and rear on the Highline were an awesome combo in BH. Did the Biancos squeal much? I haven't thought to throw it on the scale yet but I'm guessing it's ~32 lbs. Here are the build specs:

    Frame: XL, Granny Smith Green
    Rear Shock: RP23
    Fork: 08 Fox Talas 36 w/Enduro Seals
    Brakes: Formula Biancos
    Shifter: Sram X9 w/MixMasters
    Cranks: Shimano XT
    Chainguide: MRP, LRP, BB-Mount w/Blackspire Roller
    Bashguard: E-13
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 mid-cage
    Pedals: Shimano, XT, PD-M770
    Stem: Thomson, Elite X4, 100m x 0, Silver
    Handlebar: Gravity Carbon Handlebars
    Seatpost: Gravity Dropper, Turbo, 4 Drop, 3-position
    Seat Clamp: Salsa, Lip-Lock, Silver
    Saddle: WTB Rocket Ti
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King, BB, Silver
    Chainring: Blackspire, SuperPro
    Cassette: Shimano, XT CS-M770, 11-32
    Headset: Chris King, Silver
    Grips: ODI, Oury Lock-On, Silver
    Front Tire: WTB, Prowler MX, 2.5
    Front Rim: DT 5.1
    Front Hub: Chris King, ISO 20mm, 32h, Silver
    Rear Tire: WTB, Prowler SS, 2.3
    Rear Rim: DT 5.1
    Rear Hub: Chris King, ISO, 32h, Silver

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    That's a pretty good observation, even if the iteration he's talking about (36, beefy rims/tires, Gravity Dropper) probably differs significantly from what you rode/liked. To me that just further highlights the versatility of the bike, that riders of all bents can not only appreciate the bike "for what it is", but can actually alter the ride characteristics of the bike to suit their style.
    Bingo. What impressed me most about my demo DW Spot rides is how it wanted to just shoot forward. That's a requirement for any bike I own. It's downhill prowess can only be truly tested by those who can air it out and that ain't me! So if El C is impressed...

    At the demo in Lyons a few months ago I rode over to Redstone Cyclery and got ignazjr after he closed up his shop (Turner dealer). I picked up my wheelset there and gave him the Spot to ride back to the demo trailer. His very first words were "man, this thing really scoots!"
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  14. #14
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    I liked the Prowlers. No issues with traction at all. The Formulas did howl a little, but then so did my Codes up there. ON the spot, I cleaned every one of the switchbacks on Blowhard. I felt like the fork couldn't keep up with the rear end at times, but that was only on the really fast choppy sections. Thanks again for letting me ride it, Crash!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Andy, the bike felt like it weighed somewhere between 31-32 lbs. Maybe Crash will chime in with the official weight. The thing felt as burly as an RFX when banging thru the chop.
    Mine is close to that weight.

    Yep, definitely feels like more than 5.5" of travel out back.


    Nice build CtD.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,551
    The thing felt as burly as an RFX when banging thru the chop.[/QUOTE]

    Great initial write up, & my thoughts exactly on the RFX comparison. I test rode Darren's (PUSH, & I actually still have it, not giving it back) with the MX tune shock on it & it feels like it has way more travel than 5.5" & it is stiff as hell, tracks so good through the chunk & changes direction so easily it that the bike can really be a do-it-all trail bike. It out-performed my 09 Nomad & 08 RFX in every area, hands down. Mine will be built this week ; )

  17. #17
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,472
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    The thing felt as burly as an RFX when banging thru the chop.
    Great initial write up, & my thoughts exactly on the RFX comparison. I test rode Darren's (PUSH, & I actually still have it, not giving it back) with the MX tune shock on it & it feels like it has way more travel than 5.5" & it is stiff as hell, tracks so good through the chunk & changes direction so easily it that the bike can really be a do-it-all trail bike. It out-performed my 09 Nomad & 08 RFX in every area, hands down. Mine will be built this week ; )
    Good review guys. You got me wanting one.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 09-02-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  18. #18
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    you'd replace your Highline with a 5 spot, man is the lack of good riding in Northern Utah messing you up! Good times at Brianhead, sorry as well (you know why) and let's get set for DV baby!!!!
    I like bikes.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smaxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    973
    that green spot is sweet..thanks for the pics

  20. #20
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: NAKED1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    204
    I also was able to test Crashes 5 Spot and was equally impressed. The Air shock felt like a coil and was super smooth. I Can't wait for the RFX

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    226

    Sizing

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Ben glad you enjoyed the ride. How did the tires hook up? I imagine you probably wanted something with a bit more braking traction on Blow Hard. I was going to swap them out for a pair of single ply 2.4 Ardents but after the few trail I've ridden here in George I'm pleasantly surprised with the Prowler combo. Telonix front and rear on the Highline were an awesome combo in BH. Did the Biancos squeal much? I haven't thought to throw it on the scale yet but I'm guessing it's ~32 lbs. Here are the build specs:

    Frame: XL, Granny Smith Green
    Rear Shock: RP23
    Fork: 08 Fox Talas 36 w/Enduro Seals
    Brakes: Formula Biancos
    Shifter: Sram X9 w/MixMasters
    Cranks: Shimano XT
    Chainguide: MRP, LRP, BB-Mount w/Blackspire Roller
    Bashguard: E-13
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 mid-cage
    Pedals: Shimano, XT, PD-M770
    Stem: Thomson, Elite X4, 100m x 0, Silver
    Handlebar: Gravity Carbon Handlebars
    Seatpost: Gravity Dropper, Turbo, 4 Drop, 3-position
    Seat Clamp: Salsa, Lip-Lock, Silver
    Saddle: WTB Rocket Ti
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King, BB, Silver
    Chainring: Blackspire, SuperPro
    Cassette: Shimano, XT CS-M770, 11-32
    Headset: Chris King, Silver
    Grips: ODI, Oury Lock-On, Silver
    Front Tire: WTB, Prowler MX, 2.5
    Front Rim: DT 5.1
    Front Hub: Chris King, ISO 20mm, 32h, Silver
    Rear Tire: WTB, Prowler SS, 2.3
    Rear Rim: DT 5.1
    Rear Hub: Chris King, ISO, 32h, Silver
    Just curious, do you run a 100mm stem because you find the cockpit to be a litte short? The reason I ask is because the new Spots in XL seem a little undersized to me (on paper) and the XXL are too big. I haven't been on one though. Do you like how it fits?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    short pedaly climbs
    Pedally climbs, as opposed to what?

  23. #23
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    The thing felt as burly as an RFX when banging thru the chop.
    Great initial write up, & my thoughts exactly on the RFX comparison. I test rode Darren's (PUSH, & I actually still have it, not giving it back) with the MX tune shock on it & it feels like it has way more travel than 5.5" & it is stiff as hell, tracks so good through the chunk & changes direction so easily it that the bike can really be a do-it-all trail bike. It out-performed my 09 Nomad & 08 RFX in every area, hands down. Mine will be built this week ; )[/QUOTE]

    dude build that thing already will ya!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Great initial write up, & my thoughts exactly on the RFX comparison. I test rode Darren's (PUSH, & I actually still have it, not giving it back) with the MX tune shock on it & it feels like it has way more travel than 5.5" & it is stiff as hell, tracks so good through the chunk & changes direction so easily it that the bike can really be a do-it-all trail bike. It out-performed my 09 Nomad & 08 RFX in every area, hands down. Mine will be built this week ; )
    dude build that thing already will ya!![/QUOTE]

    Some shock guru still has my $hit held hostage, waiting for a fork & rear shock. I have his Spot as collateral ; )

  25. #25
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Pedally climbs, as opposed to what?
    Nonpedally climbs. The highline pedals itself.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,288
    I think you guys are all missing the most incredible part of this thread...........................Crash was on a bike.

  27. #27
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902
    I'm thinkin this is the best pro review of the dwl spot. Maybe it's a weblink to the Turner site. Add in a live vid interview in the prison cell.

    Plus, Stiff & Deep should be on the next Homer jersey.

    This is priceless stuff man. El C could get some tuition reimbursement.
    Last edited by moosehead; 09-02-2009 at 06:56 PM.

  28. #28
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: NAKED1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I think you guys are all missing the most incredible part of this thread...........................Crash was on a bike.
    That was never actually confirmed. He was up there with the 5 spot and Highline but we never did see him on the trail.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,511
    Funny... very funny.

  30. #30
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead

    Plus, Stiff & Deep should be on the next Homer jersey.

    .
    The two "must have" jersies for next year:

    1. Turner Jersey "Stiff and Deep"
    2. Sanchez Jersey "Always hitting the upper lip"
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  31. #31
    got the dhr...
    Reputation: luseboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    you'd replace your Highline with a 5 spot, man is the lack of good riding in Northern Utah messing you up! Good times at Brianhead, sorry as well (you know why) and let's get set for DV baby!!!!
    My brother has a highline and a dw spot. hes not really riding his highline anymore... only for the rare times we go park riding, or do more serious dh.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.