1-finger braking with shimano brakes and X9- Mtbr.com
    FM
    mtbr member

New question here. 1-finger braking with shimano brakes and X9

Anybody else running X-9 with the older style shimano hydro brake levers?

I recently switched my set-up so that the shifters are outside of the brake levers (brake levers are inboard). This puts the brake levers where I want them for 1-finger braking, but I can't get the shifters quite where I'd like them- the brake lever pinch bolts interfere with the shifter body, so I've got to either rotate the shifters way back, or move them closer to the grips then I'd like.

I'm hitting this on both my bikes, one has the newer X9 with removable shifter perchs, the other has older X9. Moving the mounting holes on the newer X9 doesn't really help since the intereference is between the body and the lever, not with the mounts.

I'll try and post a photo up later...

Team Blindspot
    Hate to say this FM, but you are going to have to get some 775 brakes.

Both Jay and I had the same problem with the 765's, but no issues with the 775's as you can see. 765's are now emergency back ups.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Its funny you mention this. I just got done tweaking the new RFX and installed some Magura Louise brakes. I can't get a good combination of a comfortable brake lever and shifter for the rear. The rear is an older X9 and a newer style for the front shifter. The front I could get set up comfortably but the rear is no go. What a great excuse for more UGI

Yay! Bikes !
    I run my X9 shifter inboard of my levers and can swing one-finger brakeage.

Maybe you need different fingers?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    I run my X9 shifter inboard of my levers and can swing one-finger brakeage.
    Hey Nick, if you have a moment can you take a pic?
    Are you coming out BTW? To the PNW that is?

I've had these brakes for 8+ years now, they are going strong and looking good with the straitline levers, I really don't want to "upgrade" if I can avoid it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I like my brake levers and shifters set up the same way... solved the fit problems with Avid brakes. It'd be nice to hear if anyone has a custom mod solution.

Looking at that pic... I always wonder about ditching my full shin pads and just wear knee armour... and then see a lot of knee pads and gashed open shins

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Anybody else running X-9 with the older style shimano hydro brake levers?

I recently switched my set-up so that the shifters are outside of the brake levers (brake levers are inboard). This puts the brake levers where I want them for 1-finger braking, but I can't get the shifters quite where I'd like them- the brake lever pinch bolts interfere with the shifter body, so I've got to either rotate the shifters way back, or move them closer to the grips then I'd like.

I'm hitting this on both my bikes, one has the newer X9 with removable shifter perchs, the other has older X9. Moving the mounting holes on the newer X9 doesn't really help since the intereference is between the body and the lever, not with the mounts.

I'll try and post a photo up later...
    Along similer lines, I have a big problem with my shimano dual control levers and the FSA bar that's on my KM, that 31.8 bulge is just so big that it limits how far inward I can put the levers, so it becomes difficult to put them far enough inboard to get one finger braking. It's annoying, but eventually I'll get a wider bar...31.8 seems to require me to get a wider bar than I want though..
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Yay! Bikes !
    correction, this is the X7 shifter. that said it shouldn't make a difference.

After taking these pics it occured to me you're probably looking to get hold of the outer 'curl' on your levers. (pic 1) I grab the inner curl and even with the brake locked I don't crush my knuckles. The lever throw on my brakes is minimal and I get enough leverage like this in 90% of situations. (pic 2 is all but locked up)

I've HAD my shifter and levers farther inboard and could grip the outer part of the lever, but I found the shifters were in too far and shifting required an unnatural reach.

I've had my 755s for 8+ years too ... they rule. I can't wait to compare them to the new Saints.

I'll PM you later about the trip, right now the 5th-12th looks good. I'm trying to make this a 'work trip' and expense part of my travel costs.

~~~~~~~~
    they all have issues.

new xt's

old stuff

new shifters old brakes

btw, after some time, the new XT's are finally dialled in and are very powerful.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I've had these brakes for 8+ years now, they are going strong and looking good with the straitline levers, I really don't want to "upgrade" if I can avoid it!
    I use those brakes and X9...of course they are twist shifters. I don't have any problems .
    Extreme stationary biker.

FM
    mtbr member

Update

Well I figured out a trick of sorts that I'm happy with.

Loosened up the pinch bolts for the '08 X9 shifters a few extra turns so that I could rotate them about 5-10 degrees on their handlebar clamps- just enough to clear the levers. I also switched holes obviously, so the shifters sit farther inboard. Then I jammed the shifters into the position I wanted, and tightened the pinch bolts just enough to hold everything together. This basically causes the shifters to not align properly with the mounts, but the brake levers keep them from rotating forward, and I like my stuff a bit loose anyways so it won't break should I come off the bike.

Sounds pretty simple on the intrawebz, basically I just had to go a little chuch norris and knock things into place. All better now. Rode 'em for a few hours sunday and everything was in just the right place.

Toby Wong?
    I've got XO shifters with the ol' Shimano 4-pots and Dangerboy levers and it's a tight fit but I've gotten it where I want it.

lemme know if you need a pic.

ride on!
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

mtbr member
    Do most of you brake with your index finger? I tend to brake with my middle finger and ring finger on all my bikes. This could be a habit dating back to Shimano RF+ integrated shift/brake levers when I wanted my index fingers and thumbs free to shift while braking with my middle and ring fingers. With my x-9 thumbies I don't need my index finger to shift, but my other two bikes still have rf+. Likewise, some trails are so rough I really like have both my thumb and index finger wrapped around the bar and still be able to brake.

I AM I AM
    I've got X7 shifters, and I've found only one way to overcome that.... file away.... it's only since I've don that I've found the ideal setup, so no need to go to grip shifters on this bike.

That leaves the other opion which seems to work just as well.....

And I thought it was just me (lady, small hands etc). Prior to filing or grip shift, it was either too much of a reach if I had the shifter on the inside of the brake, and it was too close and in the way if I had them on the outside.

Members who have read this thread: 0