dust'n bones
    Oct 2007

1.5 headsets - never ending story

i have spent a lot of time with choosing a suitable headset for the Highline, but im not sure which one would last...

Here is my whishlist:

#1 Chris King Devolution 1.5
    #2 Hope Step Down
    #3 Syncros FBI( Taiwan...)

No FSA and no Cane Creek - my Orbit Extreme did last 4 months...

Let me know your recommodations - thanx!

Chris

Also see: http://www.chrisking.com/news/whatsnew.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recommend you start a blog thread which can cover AAALLLLLL the questions you will undoubtedly have regarding your impending Highline purchase. In fact, this thread can be it! This way you won't have to go thru the hassle of starting a brand new thread for every question.

Ok, now tell us, do you plan to run a 1.5 steertube right away, or are you looking for a convertible headset from 1.125 to 1.5?

dust'n bones
    Oct 2007

1.5 to 1 1/8 conversion headset

cool your yets...thank you!

i want a conversion headset, this is what my suggestions implies, right?

cheers,

Chris

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    You were just subjected to your first Dusty Drive-By rook! Get used to it...

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeti
    cool your yets...
    Chris

Team Sanchez
    Hey Stealth, don't forget to check out the Sunline V.1 conversion headset. I've been using one for 2 months on my Highline with great success. It's a 0 stack which is ideal for me, and it doesn't creak or loosen so far. Kings are bling, but at the THC, we had some issues with the 1.5 Kings coming loose on some of the HL's.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_Sun...3-f9ea64a9fa88

mtbr member
    i have spent a lot of time with choosing a suitable headset for the Highline, but im not sure which one would last...

Here is my whishlist:

#1 Chris King Devolution 1.5
    #2 Hope Step Down
    #3 Syncros FBI( Taiwan...)

No FSA and no Cane Creek - my Orbit Extreme did last 4 months...

Let me know your recommodations - thanx!

Chris

Also see: http://www.chrisking.com/news/whatsnew.html
    Why the Cane Creek hatred? I've been running them on my DH rigs for 3 years now. The double XC flush 1.5 to 1.125 has been on my bike for a year, no problems yet, this after countless DH races, a trip to Whistler, yada yada yada. Nice headset to keep the front end down.

Or...spend over $150.00 for the King & let me know how it works for ya

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    cool your yets...
    Scandinavian accents are sexy.

trail fairy
    I hear good things about Sunline, I likey its what will go on my next Turner

Im a little over King after my HS experience on the RFX and long SC forks
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Well Biked
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Stealth, don't forget to check out the Sunline V.1 conversion headset. I've been using one for 2 months on my Highline with great success. It's a 0 stack which is ideal for me, and it doesn't creak or loosen so far. Kings are bling, but at the THC, we had some issues with the 1.5 Kings coming loose on some of the HL's.

Did DT have the King head lock system on it? I hear it is similar to what Azonic makes.

I have the 1.5 Syncros on mine, but can't report much at this point except to say it is nearly built up. I have a Sunline stem on mine and it is pretty bling and pretty burley.

dust'n bones
    Oct 2007

Sunline headset

all right, the Sunline seams to be ok, similar to Hope Step down...but will my Totem have enough downtube clearance?

cheers,

Chris

P.S. cool your jets - bavarian english indeed

FM
    mtbr member
    Kings are bling, but at the THC, we had some issues with the 1.5 Kings coming loose on some of the HL's.
    Sunline makes good stuff, no doubt. I have a stem and bars by them, and I am very happy with them.

The common complaint with kings loosening up actually has nothing to do with the headset. For a headset to come loose, the stem has to move up the steerer tube. So is that a problem with the headset or stem? I guess the only problem with Kings is that they tend to push up harder on the stem than other headsets which use the conical reducer / collet thing.

I haven't had any issues with King headsets loosening up since going to DH stems with 6mm bolts on my bikes.

Most people I ride with have 1.5 frames with FSA headsets, and none of them survived last winter. So I've installed two King 1.5r headsets in the last two weeks. They run smooth, have the ten year guarantee. Looks like good stuff! Their headslock thing looks cool but doesn't fit inside most 1.125" steerers, so we are sticking with the star-fangled nutz.

dust'n bones
    Oct 2007

Sunline headset

all right folks - i have bought the Sunline V-ONE REDUCER HEADSET and i hope it works - but will the knobs scratch my downtube???

On my Uzzi VPX the Syncros worked fine with the Totem - so please let me know!

Thanx,

Chris

t66
    mtbr member
    Anybody tried these reducer cups?

http://www.e13components.com/product_zerostack.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, I had them on my bike for 2.5 years prior to the King 1.5. They work very well when paired with the FSA Orbit ZS headset. You basically press these into the frame and use the bearings, crown race, compression ring and top bearing cap of the FSA. I have the whole set going up for sale on Ebay.

Members who have read this thread: 0