08' RFX w/ 2" stroke shock ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

08' RFX w/ 2" stroke shock ?

Hers the deal - Purchased the RFX to replace both a Blur LT (5.3" travel) & a Bullit (7.2" travel) - one bike for all. As of late I have been doing quite of bit of XC / trail riding. The RFX's geometry is fine but the rear suspension is a bit much. Even with the Pro-pedal on, hammering around, you can feel that 6.4" of travel. Has anyone run a shock w/ a 2" stroke ? It would yeild 5.6" of travel - think it would tame the rear a little ? Thank you

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Hers the deal - Purchased the RFX to replace both a Blur LT (5.3" travel) & a Bullit (7.2" travel) - one bike for all. As of late I have been doing quite of bit of XC / trail riding. The RFX's geometry is fine but the rear suspension is a bit much. Even with the Pro-pedal on, hammering around, you can feel that 6.4" of travel. Has anyone run a shock w/ a 2" stroke ? It would yeild 5.6" of travel - think it would tame the rear a little ? Thank you
    Wouldn't that slacken the HA a bit much for XC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Wouldn't that slacken the HA a bit much for XC?
    I am talking shock STROKE not eye to eye.

how heavy are you ??
    Sounds like you need a Spot.... With a Pike or 36... Or your rear shock is under pressurised... Happens to me on the Spot. Make sure you are running CORRECT sag

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    Sounds like you need a Spot.... With a Pike or 36
    Nah - I would have kept the Blur LT if I wanted less bike all the time. I figure I can run a 2" stroke for the XC / trail stints and move back to the 2.25" shock when I am doing more agressive rides. I have owned quite a few bikes over the last few years and know it is a chore to make one bike cover various riding w/o swapping some components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    ... Or your rear shock is under pressurised... Happens to me on the Spot. Make sure you are running CORRECT sag
    Sag is correct I have even run slightly less but 6.4" of travel is just that.

FM
    mtbr member
    I think you're really feeling a tuning issue, more than the amount of travel.

The same length shock with less stroke will not only reduce your travel, but also your reduce your sag, together effectively increasing your ride height. You'll also have to stiffen the fork to keep the bike feeling balanced in corners.

Are you running a DHX coil or RP23?

I gotta say my avy is pretty much bob-free when climbing out of the saddle, now that I've got it tuned in I'm very happy with it's climbing performance.

BTW, I do think a 7.5x2.0 combined with a talas 36 would be a fun set-up, but I'd expect the fork would stay in 100-130 mode %80 of the time since your BB would be 13.25 or so.

TLL
    mtbr member
    The RFX's geometry is fine but the rear suspension is a bit much. Even with the Pro-pedal on, hammering around, you can feel that 6.4" of travel. Has anyone run a shock w/ a 2" stroke ? It would yeild 5.6" of travel - think it would tame the rear a little ?
    I know exactly what you mean, the extra travel can be a bit much, esp, on rolling terrain.

Sounds doable, though something tells me you might end up bottoming the shock a bit more. But I'm no expert. And if you did run it with a TALAS you'd be stuck at 130mm--100mm really sucks on that fork unless you are climbing.

I say go for it.
    Last edited by TLL; 08-10-2008 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would also guess that it's probably a tuning issue. Maybe too much rebound damping in the rear making it feel a lil' squishy in the back instead of the firm rebound an XC rider is used to? I just took my new RFX out on some rocky terrain with a friend of mine who's a glutton for technical ascents (he's more into pure XC riding than I am). The one thing that impressed me most about my RFX was how stiff my rear end felt while climbing technical and non-technical terrain and I never felt like the suspension was robbing me of any significant amount of efficiency.

With the rear shock set properly (I always start with the psi equal to my bodyweight and go up/down from there) I don't really even see the need to flip on my propedal unless it was a long sustained fireroad...

I also have a 5yr old single pivot XC frame w/80mm of travel so that's my baseline in comparing my RFX's climbing ability and I have to say that I'm actually quite impressed with the RFX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I think you're really feeling a tuning issue, more than the amount of travel.

The same length shock with less stroke will not only reduce your travel, but also your reduce your sag, together effectively increasing your ride height. You'll also have to stiffen the fork to keep the bike feeling balanced in corners.

Are you running a DHX coil or RP23?

I gotta say my avy is pretty much bob-free when climbing out of the saddle, now that I've got it tuned in I'm very happy with it's climbing performance.

BTW, I do think a 7.5x2.0 combined with a talas 36 would be a fun set-up, but I'd expect the fork would stay in 100-130 mode %80 of the time since your BB would be 13.25 or so.

RP 23 - not too many adjustments here. I have ridden quite a few bike's and when the travel passes 6" you can feel the travel good & bad. May'be an Avy or CCDB has low speed adjustments that can tighten up low speed compression enough to prevent wallow but Fox's are limited. I have ridden a number of different shock's (coil & air) and it seems when pushed hard Fox air's tend to wallow the most.

FM
    mtbr member
    RP 23 - not too many adjustments here. I have ridden quite a few bike's and when the travel passes 6" you can feel the travel good & bad. May'be an Avy or CCDB has low speed adjustments that can tighten up low speed compression enough to prevent wallow but Fox's are limited. I have ridden a number of different shock's (coil & air) and it seems when pushed hard Fox air's tend to wallow the most.
    Here's why I asked, with the rp23 maybe you could try swapping sleeves!

If you have the high-volume sleeve, maybe you could switch to the low volume? This would make the bike more progressive, which would help it sit up higher in it's travel. PUSH sells the sleeves for like $40, and Darren could probably advise if it might help.

I can say, I am very impressed with the climbing performance of the RFX+Avy, it doens't wallow or bob, it's sticky plush on the DH and composed when landing air. I've consisttently cleaned tech climbs on this bike I never cleared before. I did go up #50 from Craig's reccomendations, which gives me %30 sag. I really think the RFX can climb well, with the right shock or tuning mods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ditto what FM said. A properly tuned shock will solve your problem. Most stock shocks are designed to work on lots of different bikes, a range of rider weights, and for different styles of riding, and are at best, mediocre.

Several options which you should consider and research:

1) Buy an Avalanche Chubie form Avalanche Racing. Tell Craig at Avalanche the bike model, your weight, style of riding, and what you do or don't like about your current shock. You'll get a high end, custom tuned shock for about $600-700.

2) Send your current shock to PUSH and tell Darren the same as above: $150-200.

3) Cane Creek Double Barrel: $650. Not custom tuned, but highly tunable.

4) Spend lots of time trying to tune your stock shock.

I've done 1), 3) and 4), and was happiest with 1), and was never able to get 4) to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I installed a LV sleeve right out of the gate as I weigh 210lb. PUSH would be an ok option but my only gripe w/ a PUSH tune is the shock still has limited adjustability. Sure they give in a an optimal tune for specific criteria but If I ride DH one day and XC the next the shock's tune is still compromised. I'd like to stay with an air shock but am not aware of any that offer great tuning options.

FM
    mtbr member
    I have to say this avy is the first shock I've owned where there's no urge to touch the adjustments, once I got past the initial set-up & spring rate tweaks, which did take a bit. It climbs better than my old roco TST in its firmer settings, and downhills far better than any other shock I've ridden- including a vanilla RC with PUSH's factory race tune.

It does add weight though, compared to an rp23... and it wasn't exactly cheap...

Members who have read this thread: 0