07 Spot rockers review update- Mtbr.com
    DGC
    mtbr member

07 Spot rockers review update

Kind of bringing up a few more thoughts on the rockers since I posted a review a little while back with the new 07 rockers on a 2005 - 5 Spot.

I have tried a few different set ups, including my RP3 with the high volume dhx air sleeve.
    I have not had the RP23 on there yet. Interesting was how the RP3 did with the bigger air sleeve. I thought I would be bottoming fairly easy. Got full travel, but no clunks at BO. The RP3 I have, had the lighter valve spec, I believe Fox offered a choice of 3 valvings to choose from on the RP3's, and this was the lightest of those 3 to choose from. Climbing on any of the 3 positions was good, but rolling through dips on the lightest position produced some wallow. Depending on your tuning, not as much wallow as you can get from a dhx air. The nice thing was how well the square edge hits were sucked up, the small gravel loose round stuff on the trail were not smoothed out the way the dhx air will do, but still better than on 5.1 or 5.3 rockers. The slow speed ledges or stair stuff was excellent, soaked up well and no wallow, no using up too much travel. Still the dhx air will smooth out the trail better in most cases, the RP3 just gave a little more control back in the mid stroke. The rebound also was faster with the RP3, enough so that at wide open, no more was needed anywhere i have ridden it. Pressure was at 175 psi.
    On the dhx air i have been about 180 psi., boost most often around 120 psi., BO set about mid way right now. On a few rides I ran the boost down to 85 psi. which really soaked up the rough stuff well. It just comes down to your riding, for these parts and the trails I am choosing its a long climb up, followed by a long rough decent. I crank the PP going up, sometimes even bring the boost psi. up, then drop it for the decent. If it were more rolling terrain around here or short decents, the settings would be different. In general, I would leave boost alone if PP had more effect on each click. I have done the same trail a few times over running the boost the same all ride long, followed by the next time down changing it. The difference at speed is slight, but in slower sections it is more harsh with PP dialed up. This has always been the case for me no matter the rockers with the dhx air.
    Man I really want an air sleeve that falls in between the RP standard volume and the dhx high volume. Hello to Fox?...... A little more volume than current RP, and a little less agressive ramp at the end but not as flat as the dhx air.
    All said, the 5.5 rockers do a very good job at smoothing out the trail over the lesser travel rockers, the geometry is right on for anything I have ridden with the new rockers and my Pike at full length.
    I am sure some of you will try the rockers on an older Spot. Just be aware the rebound and compression will change. Depending on which shock and how your shock is now, you may run out of adjustment on rebound.
    Now I need an RP 23 to test with these 5.5 rockers........anyone?
    Here are a few pictures shot recently......fall colors, snow, damp dirt, and sun all on every ride lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

... I guess you won't be
    I have a 5.1 Spot [origional blend] and had an RP3 modified by Push - but, they did the optional mod of including the DHA high-volume air sleeve on my shock.......

I really can't say I'm missing out on anything, the rear suspension is so responsive and dialed, that I'm pretty much done fussing w/ the rear suspension...it's that good.

You can futz around w/ rockers, air sleeves, etc. but until you belly up and get your shock dialed in for your weight and riding style, you will always be chasing the tetherball.....

mtbr member
    I don't think Davo needs to send his shocks anywhere to get them dialled.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

DGC
    mtbr member

mostly yes

Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I have a 5.1 Spot [origional blend] and had an RP3 modified by Push - but, they did the optional mod of including the DHA high-volume air sleeve on my shock.......

I really can't say I'm missing out on anything, the rear suspension is so responsive and dialed, that I'm pretty much done fussing w/ the rear suspension...it's that good.

You can futz around w/ rockers, air sleeves, etc. but until you belly up and get your shock dialed in for your weight and riding style, you will always be chasing the tetherball.....
    Quite true you are, but not 100%. Some riders will tell you how no matter what they do to a DHX air, they are not totally happy, cant do much more than change settings on that shock or an air sleeve. Not everyone is happy with their PUSHed shock either. Not everyone will be happy with the set and forget tuning. Its why we have choices.

With enough terrain variety, your suspension tuning can change, we have that wide of terrain to choose from here. Look at the pictures I shot, they are all on the same trail of 4 miles decending. There is fast flow on this trail, slow going big rocks and boulders, gravel marbles, square edge rocks, stair steps, chatter, soft dirt, jumps, tree roots, switchbacks, etc.....it is a little tougher on a trail like this to have a perfect feel from just one setting, you can get close, and it does good but not perfect. Christmas Valley is the trail for those who know the Tahoe area rides.

Most of what I am saying in my post, is about options and performance differences since there are some who will want to go there, more travel etc. It also shows the 07 5.5 Spot will match up to a 140mm fork better than the shorter travel 5 Spot does with the same fork. On the thought of the 07 Spot, if someone is not quite an RFX rider, yet the 5.1 Spot is not quite enough with their old Vanilla 125, then the 5.5 set up may very well be the nirvana they are searching for.
    Its all good in the name of having fun riding and trying different set ups along the way.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

banned
    --sorry, I skipped over the gear review (just did a rocker change) but did look at the pretty pictures--

Dave, what's the snow situation up high right now?

We're trying to sneak in a altitude ride (TRT/PCT/Sayles/50/Hawley) on Sunday but I'm hearing about 8-10 inches of sloppy snow up high.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    --sorry, I skipped over the gear review (just did a rocker change) but did look at the pretty pictures--
    me too! those are awesome pics! i miss trees...wish i was there...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

DGC
    mtbr member

hit and miss

Dave, what's the snow situation up high right now?

We're trying to sneak in a altitude ride (TRT/PCT/Sayles/50/Hawley) on Sunday but I'm hearing about 8-10 inches of sloppy snow up high.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
    Pete,
    Hows things going at your end?
    Snow situation is spotty. I did Stanford Rock on west shore yesterday, no snow-packed dry trail. Woke this morning to a few flakes dusting my lawn. North Shore looked clear like almost no snow fell up there. Waited for the sun to come out, and rode early afternoon on the trail pictured, Christmas Valley. Snow on the climb was like 2 or 3 spots, after the first 200 yards on the DH, it was tacky packed dirt.
    Now Toads, probably all done for the season. 6-8 inches of snow up there last week when a renter on our bike came back just lathered in mud, as was the bike. And he whined about the amount of snow there was, top to bottom. It got more up there from this morning's dusting. The bench ride had a few spots like X-mas Valley does, do big deal. Hawley which I added to todays ride, was all clear. Sayles....from Meyers you could see the top of Sierra at tahoe ski resort, Sayles canyon being directly behind it and lower ele., well the snow level there looked to be quite high and a dusting. So I would guess all but the very top of Sayles is snow free right now. I said "guess" though.
    If your starting behind Heavenly on TRT heading towardsToads, you will hit some decent amount of snow up there, Especially around Star Lake and above/beyond. Thats hitting 9500 ele.
    Weather from now til Monday is sunny and temps in the 60's. By Sunday I would expect it to be mostly good, but around Star Lake, Freel Pass, Armstrong Pass, Freel Meadows you will still hit snow. PCT above Sayles might also have a lot of snow, looked fairly white that direction.
    This picture I shot today while heading out of town, just below the clouds is Star Lake tucked in up top. Looks like a decent amount of snow there right now. I can let you know on say Friday night what it looks like?
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    great indepth review! DGC always delivers! Thank you so much.

Awesome pics too
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

banned
    Dave that's just the kind of info I was looking for.

We're thinking of poking through Big Meadow on the TRT to PCT to Sayles and then road burn 50 to Hawley. We should only max out around 8,300.

Thanks again for the local knowledge.

DGC
    mtbr member

Pete and dHarriet this is for you

Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    me too! those are awesome pics! i miss trees...wish i was there...
    Thou asketh(sorta), thou shall recieve. At least i can get you sort of in the Tahoe moment with pictures like these just for you....!!!!!
    Just one note, the Mt. Talac view picture, was not taken with photo stitch in mind, turned out the 2 pictures came together perfect except for individual picture settings.

Enjoy.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mummy, what's 'snow'??????

No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Man I really want an air sleeve that falls in between the RP standard volume and the dhx high volume. Hello to Fox?...... A little more volume than current RP, and a little less agressive ramp at the end but not as flat as the dhx air.
    Maybe the info from this post might be helpful regarding the available sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Just got off the phone with Fox (Josh was extremely helpful).....I would like to try out one of the larger volume air canisters on my stock 2006 RP3 (2" stroke on 4" travel Salty). Josh advised I can get the Xtra Volume Canister (which is what comes on the 2007 RP23's) or the Xtra Volume Canister 2 (which is even larger than what comes on the 2007 RP23). Any suggestions? I would like to get as close to full travel as possible, but also don't want the bike to be too super plush. Any suggestions or what have other done - changed the stock canister to the one on the 2007 RP23 or go with even the larger volume canister? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dave that's just the kind of info I was looking for.

We're thinking of poking through Big Meadow on the TRT to PCT to Sayles and then road burn 50 to Hawley. We should only max out around 8,300.

Thanks again for the local knowledge.
    PCT is closed to bikes. I'll alert the rangers of your ride plan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good info! Too bad those new rockers are so damn ugly.

Bite Me.
    So still no issues with the tire hitting the cable stop? Have you run anything bigger than those Contis in the back - like a Geax Sturdy, Maxxis Advantage 2.4 perhaps or a Big Betty??
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Good info! Too bad those new rockers are so damn ugly.
    I bet they come with the correct bolts and they are no uglier than the Push offering...IMO.
    Nothing to see here.

DGC
    mtbr member

Black is waaay better looking than silver rockers

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    PCT is closed to bikes. I'll alert the rangers of your ride plan.
    If you knew, PCT stands for Perfect Cycling Trail.......Not Pacific Crest Trail. You are confused, the local PCT (perfect cycling trail) is a set of trails you are totally unaware of.
    secondly.......the PUSH rockers.......well SSINGA already said it exactly.
    Oh but wait, DB everytime you bad mouth a product it really means you will buy it or them soon cuz thats your MO. I was confused for a secong there, thanks for clearing that up with your clue by bashing the Turner rockers.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You just have to ignore DB

If you knew, PCT stands for Perfect Cycling Trail.......Not Pacific Crest Trail. You are confused, the local PCT (perfect cycling trail) is a set of trails you are totally unaware of.
    secondly.......the PUSH rockers.......well SSINGA already said it exactly.
    Oh but wait, DB everytime you bad mouth a product it really means you will buy it or them soon cuz thats your MO. I was confused for a secong there, thanks for clearing that up with your clue by bashing the Turner rockers.
    He is off his anti depressants again. By the way, I think I would prefer the Push rockers just because they give mo travel. Mo travel is good travel in my opinion. Who gives a flip about the looks. In my opinion, Turners are not even in the top ten of good looking bikes. Sorda pedesterian in my opinion, but in function they are super models

Jaybo

DGC
    mtbr member

Wink DB dont bother me

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    He is off his anti depressants again. By the way, I think I would prefer the Push rockers just because they give mo travel. Mo travel is good travel in my opinion. Who gives a flip about the looks. In my opinion, Turners are not even in the top ten of good looking bikes. Sorda pedesterian in my opinion, but in function they are super models

Jaybo
    I often laugh at his posts'.
    More travel means more leverage on the shock. More is not always better. Equalish or even travel and feel are quite important as is fork spec to match geometry.
    As far as looks go, I dont buy the comment.... "who gives a flip about looks".........because looks is one of the most important elements of a buying decision, weather its the whole bike or just one part. If no one cared about looks, we all would be riding pink Huffies. But as we all know, everyone is entilted to their opinion.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I bet they come with the correct bolts and they are no uglier than the Push offering...IMO.
    Yes, we shipped the first dozen or so sets with the incorrect shock mounting bolts. We Overnighted the correct bolts to anyone who was mis-shipped. Our mistake.

More travel means more leverage on the shock. More is not always better
    In this case the increase in leverage is only an average not the actual leverage rate at the ending stroke.

DGC, you of all people should understand that this isn't a competition between PUSH and Turner. Had I got this product to market in a timely manner we would have put more focus on it, but as it stands it's going to be a very limited product that I had a lot of fun building.

Darren

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    it's going to be a very limited product that I had a lot of fun building.

Darren
    Ahhhhhh, exclusivity makes the heart grow fonder. Let the rest of the minions ride the erector set stock rockers.

DGC
    mtbr member

Darren

Yes, we shipped the first dozen or so sets with the incorrect shock mounting bolts. We Overnighted the correct bolts to anyone who was mis-shipped. Our mistake.

In this case the increase in leverage is only an average not the actual leverage rate at the ending stroke.

DGC, you of all people should understand that this isn't a competition between PUSH and Turner. Had I got this product to market in a timely manner we would have put more focus on it, but as it stands it's going to be a very limited product that I had a lot of fun building.

Darren
    I am not trying to create some competition between PUSH and Turner, sorry you are taking it that way. Other than looks, I've said nothing about PUSH vs. Turner rockers-such as the hardware and/or performance, infact I believe others have said more than I have to this effect so why are you coming after me?
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    DGC,

Victims of internet boards. I didn't mean to come off as attacking you by any means, and appearantly I misunderstood your comments.

Darren

Outcast
    Apologies all around; time for a group hug!

banned

Dave is Spot on once again.

DGC
    mtbr member

Wink its all good

DGC,

Victims of internet boards. I didn't mean to come off as attacking you by any means, and appearantly I misunderstood your comments.

Darren
    Darren,
    No attack or negativity meant from my end towards you either, Its all good.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Not an either or deal...

I often laugh at his posts'.
    More travel means more leverage on the shock. More is not always better. Equalish or even travel and feel are quite important as is fork spec to match geometry.
    As far as looks go, I dont buy the comment.... "who gives a flip about looks".........because looks is one of the most important elements of a buying decision, weather its the whole bike or just one part. If no one cared about looks, we all would be riding pink Huffies. But as we all know, everyone is entilted to their opinion.
    I like the complete look of the bike fine, but I am not that worried about the difference between rockers visually. Just not! But, I can understand if you do. I more worried about if my front derailleur is going to bang on the chainstay or if the front end becomes too steep. I kind of like the balance of my 5.1 rockers with a Pike. I know, how weird, but such is life. I'm going to upgrade because I'm a gear whore, but it certainly is not needed from my perspective.

Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0