06' Marz Z1 light vs 66 light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

06' Marz Z1 light vs 66 light?

I have been on my Z1 light for a few months now for general all-purpose trail/all-mt riding on my 06' RFX and have been pretty stoked so far with the quality of the dampening and small bump compliancy, especially at high speeds. But, have been burning through most of the travel even with air in the chamber and <25% sag, maybe because I ride a little hard and way about 215-220 w/gear.

I just found the 06' 66 light on sale for >$550 and tempted to get it to get a little more room for travel and a little slacker HA of course. I love the wt. of the Z1 light for climbing, but wondering if the 66 light would be worth it to gain another 1.5lbs for only 1 more inch of travel. My ride is already about 37lbs. w/the Z1 light, and would be about 38.5lbs w/66 light.

Is the 66 light worth the extra dough and wt? I definitely want to stay with the ETA since I climb a lot and love that feature.

Thanks from a frugal rider,

JG.

Team Sanchez
    I'd say it's worth the upgrade. I had the 66 light for about a year, and loved it. Much stiffer than the Z-1, and can take a serious pounding. I have two buddies on the Z-1 light, and they love that fork too. I'd say that if you are going to be stepping up your game, then the 66 is the way to go. Even the 06 66 SL would offer significant gains in performance, sans the ETA feature.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    I have been on my Z1 light for a few months now for general all-purpose trail/all-mt riding on my 06' RFX and have been pretty stoked so far with the quality of the dampening and small bump compliancy, especially at high speeds. But, have been burning through most of the travel even with air in the chamber and <25% sag, maybe because I ride a little hard and way about 215-220 w/gear.

I just found the 06' 66 light on sale for >$550 and tempted to get it to get a little more room for travel and a little slacker HA of course. I love the wt. of the Z1 light for climbing, but wondering if the 66 light would be worth it to gain another 1.5lbs for only 1 more inch of travel. My ride is already about 37lbs. w/the Z1 light, and would be about 38.5lbs w/66 light.

Is the 66 light worth the extra dough and wt? I definitely want to stay with the ETA since I climb a lot and love that feature.

JG.
    Are there any damping differences between the Z1 Light and 66 Light? I don't believe there are. This means that if you get the 66 Light you'll gain stiffness and weight and you'll still be burning through your travel the way you are now.

Your first task ought to be verifying oil levels. Higher oil level = more ramp up deep in the travel, lower oil level = less. Playing with oil weights might help too. Typically heavier riders benefit from heavier oil as it adds low and high speed compression damping.

SL has the PAR chamber which does wonders for bottomout resistance. It rides very much like a coil as well, with surprising support mid stroke. I'm guessing the positive air chambers must have different volumes so their flat spots in the spring curve don't overlap.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

banned
    This sounds like an issue of lower than needed oil levels.

Increasing the oil level on the air side will allow reduction of the air volume, since it's a common chamber. Smaller chamber will make it more progressive and resistant to bottom out, as well as the hydraulic stop the higher level provides.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta

JG.
    It is the ultimate Turner home RFX jump off rocks, for whatever reason, fork. Trip to ER is optional. Oh, and only posers ride such a fork . I need all the help I can get to keep up with your possesed tail...

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Thanks for the helpful advice. So, can just about anyone adjust the oil levels or is that something a qualified tech must do? I will get the oil recs off of Marz.

I love the Z1 for most of the things I do, but for some reason I have been craving more. How much do you guys think I can get for a three month old 06' Z1 in good condition for? Around $400-$450?

Members who have read this thread: 0