Thread: '05 66 RC tips

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

'05 66 RC tips

after blasting some overly aggressive young hack in another thread, i thought my karma might rise back to normal if i posted somethin positive that others might find usefull.

im the proud new owner of a '05 66 rc and at 160 lbs i found it to be super duper overly sprung, unable to reach proper sag, overly rampy in its compression and unable to reach full travel so i did a little searchin, askin and playin. tonight i may have found the answer for us small guys. keep in mind a few things. ive not yet ridden it as its impossible with our current weather, ive not owned a big hit fork before nor do i have the talent to tell ya what really works in the field per say and this is all based on factory settings. here goes:

i removed 20mm of oil form each leg and greatly improved the compession damping to a more reasonable level of ramp up.

i removed the right side spring and drastically reduced the over sprung feeling of the fork.

i added about 20 lbs of air to the right leg, none in the left, and achieved proper sag and full travel in 1 fell swoop.

i dialed in the rebound knob till i could push it down well into its travel then release it quickly while pulling up on the bars without the front tire leaving the ground. i used a 3 click turn at a time method from full slow till it poped up then turned it back to slow 1 click at a time till it stayed down again.

i set the compression knob from full slow till it felt the way ive grown accustomed to. not sure if theres a good point of reference for this one till ya hit the trail.

this fork, as most zokes apperently do, tends to use up just about ALL of the stantion tube in its travel so if ya thought you were clever and installed a hydro line guide on it like i did, yer in for a big suprise and maybe a new seal kit if ya dont get it off of there. mine is about 2mm from top seal to crown at bottom out, just enough for a very thin zip tie to measure sag with and thats all.

if yer one of the folks whos been struggleing with the setting on this or a similar fork like i have, this just might get ya colse or at least to a place where you can improve from. hope this helps. hell, i hope this works! the weatherman says we may get a thaw this week so i may be able to let ya know how it works pretty soon. if hes wrong, ill see ya back here in the spring.

ps: ice cream has no bones.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 12-09-2005 at 01:23 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...sounds good man, glad you made some headway!

Now with flavor!!
    I'm about 165 and got a few headaches from this fork as well. Like you, I thought it felt oversprung. The thing you have to consider though is that no fork, especially a marzocchi shoud feel sprung/setup for you right out of the box. I had mine just long enough to get it broken in and by the time I sold it, it was feeling just about right with the stock springs and zero air pressure. Steel springs to bed in and/or loosen up after a while and will feel softer. Plus seal friction goes away.

Keep in mind too that the compression knob on that fork is ending stroke compression damping. It's basically just a bottom out/progression feature. Sounds like you're enough of a tinkerer to get it how you want anyway.

a tight kick sound

Goodie!

Sounds great man. Thanks for the help. I just got one myself!
    Will give it a go as soon as the bike is built up.

Lemme know how the bottom control out is with this set-up. I'm a little
    suspisous it might be harsh with that much sag and give but, I don't really have a clue as I cannot ride mine yet

Thanks
    Boone

Just roll it......
    Cactus,

How many hours do you have on your fork? Keep in mind that it really takes about 20-25 hours of riding and abuse before you can fully expect the seals to be broken in on the 'Zocchi's. At that point, getting proper sag will be much easier. I rode mine for a few weeks solid, then changed/adjusted the oil and got the proper sag at that point. I'm still running both springs, but it would be interesting to see what the result would be if I removed one.

I'm ~165 lbs. with full gear and run zero air preload, almost no bottom-out compression (unless I'm hucking big stuff) and running the rebound at about where you have it set. I've bottomed my fork only on really big stuff (20+ foot step-downs) when I landed nose heavy and didn't have the compression cranked in at all.....

While this fork is super tall and a bit heavy, it easily blows away my old dual crown (Super T). I'm a 66 believer. Now, I just gotta see about getting an '06!!

Chers,
    EBX

how does zero grab ya? shes brand new besides some basement drop tests and a few feet of tarmac. i understand theres a break in period and im far from it. i dig that things will change, perhaps drsaticlly. i get that ill need to keep retuning as this happens. i wanted a baseline to start from and a feel i could work to retain. this is nuthin but a thumbnail start point so dont get too excited about it bein a perfect setup. its undoubtably far from it.

whats cool is all you guys steppin up with more ideas and encouragement. itll be interesting to see if i readd the spring or keep usin air in the right leg, other than that all i see doin is dinkin with the 2 knobs and maybe some oil levels. boy o boy itll be sweet when i get to that point......... in about 3 months or so. till then ill ski and try my best to be patient. oh and spend countless hours staring at it of course.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cactus, that sounds like a lot of work. Maybe simpler to up the dark beer intake by 3 or 4 per week. That ought to bring you up to 185 or 190 by April, and you'll be just right for that fork when the riding season hits full swing!

dammit kosmo! thanx for bein a day late with the jan ullrich fitness plan! see what happens next time you need MY help!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0