'04 Turner Burner with 80mm front travel??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

'04 Turner Burner with 80mm front travel??

Hi, I own a '04 Turner Burner with Manitou SPV 3way ammo and I want to mount a Fox F80 RL 2007 front fork to obtain an XC dual sospension bike.
    Do you think it's good to have a front 80mm Burner??
    I also own a MC Moho with a Fox F80 RL front fork so I am confortable with nervous bikes with only 80mm front travel. :-)

Thanks a lot, regard.
    SG, Italy.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Good is all relative. You'll have a steeper HT angle so it will steer quicker and it will be slightly oddly balanced with the 4" in the back. It'll still be a lot of fun to ride on XC stuff, but then one can have a lot of fun riding trails on a Huffy. That fork wouldn't be my first choice but you ride what you got.

Can Tree Member
    Most people have set theirs up with around 4", and it's probably more about the geometry than the travel. I have an 04 Talas on mine and keep it right around 4" about 95% of the time. And when I do tweak it on the trail, it is to change the geometry, not for extra travel. (Raising or lowering the front end, for a super-steep long descent, or a very long and painful climb. The 04's take a whole lot of clicks to get from min. to max. so it's not worth doing for short sections of trail, I just gut those out.)

Don't understand quite where you are at...did you pick up the bike without a fork? Or is there something funky on there right now?

About that fork...didn't the F's have an inertial blow-off valve? If that's right, I would think that it's a better fit for a racing setup (like the Epic, with an inertial blow-off in back too). To me it does not make sense to have a bike with more supple travel in back than in front.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member

skittish

Dude, it will ride too skittish w/ an 80mm fork on her. That particular frame is more suited for a 100-120mm fork. Forget the 80 and find a longer travel and it will be much more balanced. Try an adjustable fork for more trail options like the talas, revelation, or a longer travel reba. Trust me on this one!

mtbr member
    There used to be a local around here with an 80mm fox on his, while I ran mine at 100. He swore by it and wouldn't have it any other way. Go for it, and if you don't like it, 100mm forks are a dime a dozen.

My cup runneth over
    I rode my Burner with an 80 mm Manitou on it for a while and it was fine. The main adjustment I made was more compression damping on the steeper rockier stuff. FWIW I have aslo ridden it with a 90 mm Mani (same effect), 100 mm Fox, S100 Marz, SL 700 Marz (90 - 130 mm) and currently have an '08 XC 600 (100 - 140 mm) which I ride almost exclusively at 120 mm. Best fork was the Marz 100 which was a coil!

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot but I searched google and I found that my '04 Burner (the V2 version) has "only" 3.5 / 3.6" rear travel.
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-sus...3_1526crx.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Suspension_Bicycles

3.5/3.6" = 90mm rear travel - sag (10% of the total for xc setup) = 80mm rear travel....
    with a front 80mm fork (Fox F80RL) i think it's fine...

It's only theory...now let's go to test...

thanks
    regards

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superguzz
    Thanks a lot but I searched google and I found that my '04 Burner (the V2 version) has "only" 3.5 / 3.6" rear travel.
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-sus...3_1526crx.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Suspension_Bicycles

3.5/3.6" = 90mm rear travel - sag (10% of the total for xc setup) = 80mm rear travel....
    with a front 80mm fork (Fox F80RL) i think it's fine...

It's only theory...now let's go to test...

thanks
    regards
    But you missing an important point about how the different forks will affect the geometry of the bike. You are only looking at the travel of the fork. We are all talking about how long it is and what that will do to the geometry of the bike. Shorter fork steepens the head tube angle, longer fork slackens the head tube angle.

You are right about the Burner having 3.6" of travel in back and you seem to have done well in researching that. But remember, it was basically designed as a 4" bike, then fitted with a shock that gave it the same geometry (6.5" i2i) but a little bit less travel (1.5" stroke vs. 1.75" on the original XCE from which the Burner is derived), And the basic geometry of the bike was designed around a 4" (+/-) fork.

As other posters have described, you can certainly ride the bike with a 3" fork and will get big grins from it. It will just handle a bit differently, quicker in front, than if you were to set it up with a 4" fork. Is that good? It all depends on what you like, I guess. It probably would be a bit more of a handful on a speedy descent than if you were on a longer fork. Maybe it's a little more maneuverable on tight single track.

If you are setting up an SPV shock for the first time (like that Manitou) come back with any questions. It is a bit tricky to set up and a lot of the homer-heads around here ended up swapping it out for a Fox RP3. I got mine dialed in pretty good, and while I did also eventually make the swap and I do like the RP3 better, your Swinger 3-way is a competent piece of equipment (IMHO).
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    But you missing an important point about how the different forks will affect the geometry of the bike. You are only looking at the travel of the fork. We are all talking about how long it is and what that will do to the geometry of the bike. Shorter fork steepens the head tube angle, longer fork slackens the head tube angle.

You are right about the Burner having 3.6" of travel in back and you seem to have done well in researching that. But remember, it was basically designed as a 4" bike, then fitted with a shock that gave it the same geometry (6.5" i2i) but a little bit less travel (1.5" stroke vs. 1.75" on the original XCE from which the Burner is derived), And the basic geometry of the bike was designed around a 4" (+/-) fork.

As other posters have described, you can certainly ride the bike with a 3" fork and will get big grins from it. It will just handle a bit differently, quicker in front, than if you were to set it up with a 4" fork. Is that good? It all depends on what you like, I guess. It probably would be a bit more of a handful on a speedy descent than if you were on a longer fork. Maybe it's a little more maneuverable on tight single track.

If you are setting up an SPV shock for the first time (like that Manitou) come back with any questions. It is a bit tricky to set up and a lot of the homer-heads around here ended up swapping it out for a Fox RP3. I got mine dialed in pretty good, and while I did also eventually make the swap and I do like the RP3 better, your Swinger 3-way is a competent piece of equipment (IMHO).
    thank you very much for your explanation, now everything is clear :-)
    I admit that I did not understand you all spoke about geometry and not travel....sorry
    thanks also for spv explanation....
    Thanks,regards

Members who have read this thread: 0