'04 Minute 1 or '03 Firefly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. '04 Minute 1 or '03 Firefly?

Hi!

I'm building my dreambike, a Turner 5-spot, and now I've come across a "problem". I've read the very nice thread below about choosing a fork and I'm really as lost as ever.
    Weighing in at 230 lbs I'm looking for the best fork for my 5-spot. The choice has come down to two forks.

I've found a Minute 1 and a Sherman Firefly on sale for about the same price, the Firefly being a '03 and doesnt have SPV. Will this matter? I'm looking for a good trail fork, I have many climbs and nice rocky decents on my local trails so I think the RTWD will be nice which both have.

Will the extra weight be noticable? The main question is, I think, do I need the firmness of the Firefly? Can I set it up nice and plush? I dont want a dirtjump fork, more a all day trail fork that can take a couple of small drops if needed. Is the minute a better choice with the spv? I do have some roadwork sometimes and I would like something better than my old coilsprung XC fork which bobs alot on gravel and tarmac roads. Which both will be of course...

mtbr member
    I have a Sherman Firefly (03) on my Chamuco and it is the best riding fork I have had. I liked my 03 Z1 FR alot, but this fork is plusher without excesive diving, it feels very stiff, now it is a 20mm TA fork and the Z1 is a QR fork, but there is a difference. I think the 03 TPC+ damping is better than the new SPV stuff, the 03 Firefly's might be one of the best trail/light FR forks made, even over the newer SPV stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel
    Hi!

I'm building my dreambike, a Turner 5-spot, and now I've come across a "problem". I've read the very nice thread below about choosing a fork and I'm really as lost as ever.
    Weighing in at 230 lbs I'm looking for the best fork for my 5-spot. The choice has come down to two forks.

I've found a Minute 1 and a Sherman Firefly on sale for about the same price, the Firefly being a '03 and doesnt have SPV. Will this matter? I'm looking for a good trail fork, I have many climbs and nice rocky decents on my local trails so I think the RTWD will be nice which both have.

Will the extra weight be noticable? The main question is, I think, do I need the firmness of the Firefly? Can I set it up nice and plush? I dont want a dirtjump fork, more a all day trail fork that can take a couple of small drops if needed. Is the minute a better choice with the spv? I do have some roadwork sometimes and I would like something better than my old coilsprung XC fork which bobs alot on gravel and tarmac roads. Which both will be of course...
    Very different forks the two you have picked here. The Minute is a light weight trail fork the Sherman is more heavy duty but none the worse for it. The SPV damping on the Minute is a little lacking in small bump response and can skip about on loose climbs as the fork is in effect locked out, the TPC+ Sherman is probably the plushest fork out there without bottoming out easily. The Sherman is much stiffer, the Minute about a pound lighter.
    The RTWD on the minute is different to the RT adjust on the Sherman, the Sherman is on the fly adjustable, the Minute IIRC is not. The Sherman locks down the spring and adds lots of preload so it stiffens up the rate, the Minute is a wind down adjuster with a larger range of travel settings.
    I don't think the weight will make a huge difference, but I am running a Z1 FR which is even heavier than the Sherman I would take a heavier, tougher, stiffer fork over a lighter flexier one any time but it's your call.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    I don't think the weight will make a huge difference, but I am running a Z1 FR which is even heavier than the Sherman I would take a heavier, tougher, stiffer fork over a lighter flexier one any time but it's your call.
    I'd agree with Paul, particularly at your weight. I'm 210 and my Spot initially weighed in at 32 lbs. but in the six plus months I've owned it I've managed to add a couple of pounds with stronger and stiffer parts and I'll never look back. A true testimant to this bike effecient suspension design.

mtbr member
    Alright, sounds good about the Firefly, seems like a good fork too, I like the thing about it being nice and plush. My present fork doesnt do well on small bumps and washboard type tracks.

mtbr member

Just make sure you have the right...

...spring kit for the Firefly. My understanding is that the Ti spring is not available for Clydes so you'll need the heaviest steel spring they have. Further, be sure they don't hose you on the heavier spring - some shops might even give you a credit for exchanging the Ti for a steel one (but don't hold your breath).

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Stand back

yeah, extra firm is steel

Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    ...spring kit for the Firefly. My understanding is that the Ti spring is not available for Clydes so you'll need the heaviest steel spring they have. Further, be sure they don't hose you on the heavier spring - some shops might even give you a credit for exchanging the Ti for a steel one (but don't hold your breath).

Sean
    I ordered a firm spring and they shipped me an extra firm the first time. It's definitely heavier than the ti, but never weighed it to see the difference. I feel like the firm is a pretty good fit for me @ 190, so you'd def want the x-firm. Less than $30, and then you can probly sell off the ti med spring for at least that...

mtbr member
    Alright, thanks, guess I'll haveto give the dealer a call and see if I can get the extra firm spring for this puppy then.

KCC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Firefly

I really enjoy mine, with the 20mm axle, only have three weeks on it along with my 5 Spot. When I bought the fork and 5 Spot, I was about 230, now I am 225 because I have been riding all the time. I have not had a chance to dial in the fork yet, so I am sure I am missing out on a lot more performance and might need to get the extra firm spring? I do not have much to compare this fork to but would like to ride a Z1. I do not care too much about the weight of my bike, if I was then the easiest and cheapest would be to loose weight, which the Spot has helped me do already.

mtbr member
    KCC: Do you have the factory default spring or a firmer spring installed?

KCC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Factory Default Spring

My fork is basically from the box to the frame, so whatever it was set up at from the factory is what I have now. Like I said, I need to dial it in but have not taken the time to do so yet.